Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear view mirror glass replacement

Views : 512

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2023, 21:00   #1
Pauljude

Default Rear view mirror glass replacement

Hi all, my rv mirror glass was knackered, I had a used replacement but I have been putting it off for a long time. I finally got round to doing it today and just thought I'd share the process incase it helps anyone, pictures attached.

Car is a 2011 with the compass in the mirror

1 - Separate the interior light bezel from its housing
2 - Undo the 2 8mm bolts going into the roof
3 - Theres a green push rivet holding the assembly to the roof, pull this directly down carefully as there's wiring attached, the whole housing with mirror will come away
4 - Disconnect the plug for the lights/alarm
5 - Undo the cover on the back of the mirror, there's a small hole on the bottom that lets you push a small flat blade screwdriver in to disconnect the wiring to the mirror.
6 - Undo the torx screw holding the mirror to the light assembly.
7 - Carefully using a plastic pry tool separate the mirror housing, there are no fasteners but pay attention not to pry too hard or deep or you will crack glass or damage the PCB
8 - My mirror had the compass and direction readout so I had to pull that plug at this stage although the donor mirror didn't have it so it was easier to disassemble that one.
9 - desolder the two red wires connecting the mirror to PCB and separate them, again no fasteners just clips all round the mirror holding down PCB, go easy paying attention to the led block for airbag/seatbelt and the compass block if yours had it.
10 - Attach your PCB to replacement mirror, Flux the two posts on your PCB and solder on the two red wires.
11 - Carefully reassemble housing and follow steps in reverse to fit everything back, there's a grounding wire that utilises one of the 8mm bolts to hold it to ground.

I should say that there were a few differences between my mirror and the replacement, mainly the replacement didn't have a cutout to display the NESW, it still shines through just very dimly but I'm ok with that.

Difficulty for me was a 4/10, easy job if you take your time and it's well worth it, I can see behind me again 😂.

Another thing if you want to test the mirror glass then a 1.5v AA battery touched to the red wires will show you if the dim function is working.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20231007_180457084_HDR~2.jpg (151.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20231007_180453894~2.jpg (216.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20231007_180004890_HDR.jpg (173.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20231007-201301.jpg (124.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20231007_175949901.jpg (259.6 KB, 12 views)
Pauljude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pauljude For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2023, 20:10   #2
DickyB V70R

Great write up Paul. Always very helpful when people can be bothered. 10/10.

Saffy V70R Auto...Gone But Not Forgotten.
Now got...Silver P2 04-05 V70 D5 (Facelift).
09 XC90 R-Design (the Barge).
DickyB V70R is offline   Reply With Quote