Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the word on b204gt?

Views : 1240

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2023, 20:59   #11
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The gear is easy enough to fix https://www.classicswede.org/shop/b2...=60a19cd634c45

And the balance shafts are best removed and blanked off https://www.classicswede.org/shop/b2...=60a19cd634c45

The oil pump is a high capacity pump and driven directly off the cam belt and is a much more modern system. The down side is no new replacement parts available.

As to the blocks being softer I do not think that is true. I have seen B230turbos with worn out bores by 150k and others still ok at 250k, just the same for the B204 engines from what I have seen (not first hand on the B204)

The valves in the B204 head are smaller than the B234 and a B234 head can not be used on a B200/B21 bottom end
Interesting stuff. I had read somewhere (i believe either here or on turbobricks) that the balance shafts could indeed be removed. Maybe it was even you who said that. Can't remember as it was a few days ago on some random thread.

Guess opinions diverge on it. But still it is an engine that requires more maintenance and care. With these cars approaching 400/500k km and several owners, who knows how well they were kept. And less parts availability doesn't help their case either.

But it looks like most gasoline 940/740 in portugal have this 16v engine. I always thought those were just typos or people mislabeling 760s as 740s. But now that the prices dropped I started paying more attention and it does look like most of them are 16v. Lots of diesel cars too.
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 11:13   #12
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I like how simple the 8v is and the torque and engine braking that it gives. For the big numbers the 16v is the engine to have or at least the head. It does come with the best factory turbo offered.

If the bottom end does go all wrong you can convert to the 8v bottom end. If you are prepared to do work then they can be a great engine. If you just want to hop in and drive then the 8v engine is the way to go
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 08:35   #13
jetronic63

Default B204gt

I bought one 4 years ago and it’s been a typical red block, reliable and no issues. Where it’s not like a red block is the smoothness and refinement - it’s massively different to an 8v. Goes pretty well but needs more revs than an 8v which you would expect - mine has an m46 so you can rev it and it def comes alive as the revs build. Main difference in the maintenance is belt changes, changing all the belts, hydraulic tensioner, idlers etc is not the cheap and easy job it is on the 8v. Probably part of the reason the balance system is removed. Often, the balance belt is over tightened causing whine and then failure. Volvo do supply a special tool to set the belt tension but it’s not cheap !. Looked after, they can do big mileages but certainly not as indestructible as an 8v.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2490.jpg (142.3 KB, 7 views)