Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Finding exhaust leak

Views : 647

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2023, 13:52   #1
Eventoday

Default Finding exhaust leak

Hello

I have a 1998 V90 with higher mileage.
It has a bit of a vibration when giving it gas.
I've checked all of the hoses for leaks, plugs are new
Throttle body is clean etc etc.

The vibration feels like what I would imagine an exhaust leak to feel like. So I figure, let's go with my intuition and look for a leak. The car is new to me so I don't have a reference if the car is louder than what it should be.

I've read, you can use a shop vac to blow air up the tailpipe, then spray soapy water around to look for leaks. Before I do that, I just wanted to get some advice to make sure you can't mess anything up doing that??

Also, I'm planning to take the heat shield off to access the exhaust manifold. From what I understand the manifold bolts themselves can break and strip out. I don't plan on removing them but I am curious about the heat shield bolts. Should I spray them for a couple of days beforehand? Do I need to worry about them breaking or stripping?

Kindly
Jake
Eventoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2023, 14:24   #2
Paulk

Have you checked the propshaft centre bearing?
Old Sep 1st, 2023, 15:37   #3
Eventoday

Thanks for the reply.

I have not checked that.

Quick caveat, I also get the vibration in nuetral/ park.
The prop would not be spinning unless in gear correct?

Last edited by Eventoday; Sep 1st, 2023 at 15:57.
Old Sep 1st, 2023, 15:58   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The heatshield bolts will most likely snap.

What are the engine mounts like? Prop bearing wouldn't affect anything if sat still but work engine mounts would.

I check for an exhaust leak by getting a thick bit of rag and holding it over the tailpipe for a couple of seconds (it gets hot quickly). If it is blowing you will hear it chuffing out of the hole louder than normal due to the extra backpressure.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2023, 16:35   #5
Eventoday

Thanks for your reply.

My first thought was the engine mounts. They look and feel good to me. I even had a mechanic who was working on my mini van give me his opinion. They also thought they looked good. I still have my suspicions of the mounts though. I tried to do the visual oil pan test to see if the mounts were sagging but couldn't quite figure out what I was looking for.

I really do not want to open a can of worms with the heat shield. Maybe I'll wait on checking the manifold gasket unyil I am able to check the rest of the exhaust and rule out the mounts.

Kindly

Old Sep 1st, 2023, 23:21   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

The first place I would look for an exhaust leak would be the ball and socket joint between the cat and the middle section. I found this very problematic on mine until I fitted a complete new system including a new bracket on that joint.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 01:32   #7
Eventoday

I went ahead and reversed the shop vac and shot air into the tailpipe. I felt a lot of air coming out of the side of the muffler, in two different places, along the horizintal weld. I don't think that would be the cause of a vibration in my steering wheel / gas pedal though??

The rest of the pipe, and around the cat seemed good. I couldn't tell around the exhaust manifold as the heat shield is in the way. I tried to listen for air but the vac was to loud.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 10:43   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventoday View Post
Hello

I have a 1998 V90 with higher mileage.
It has a bit of a vibration when giving it gas.
I've checked all of the hoses for leaks, plugs are new
Throttle body is clean etc etc.

The vibration feels like what I would imagine an exhaust leak to feel like. So I figure, let's go with my intuition and look for a leak. The car is new to me so I don't have a reference if the car is louder than what it should be.

I've read, you can use a shop vac to blow air up the tailpipe, then spray soapy water around to look for leaks. Before I do that, I just wanted to get some advice to make sure you can't mess anything up doing that??

Also, I'm planning to take the heat shield off to access the exhaust manifold. From what I understand the manifold bolts themselves can break and strip out. I don't plan on removing them but I am curious about the heat shield bolts. Should I spray them for a couple of days beforehand? Do I need to worry about them breaking or stripping?

Kindly
Jake
The inlet manifold gasket can deteriorate on these, spray some brake cleaner around the area on each branch where bolted to the head and see if the engine note changes...