Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vibrations on idle

Views : 1319

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 08:39   #11
Acuity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
volvo already has heater parts and other parts with "Ford" on them they have "volvo" on their mounts and Ford have Ford on their mounts, they have different damping characteristics. or the ones volvo use would have Ford on them. I have no idea how long they last on Fords , but volvo ones rarely give trouble.
Why would it have different damping characteristics for the same engine?
Acuity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 09:49   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuity30 View Post
Why would it have different damping characteristics for the same engine?
I'm not a chassis engineer but its going to vibrate differently in a different chassis and volvo may want more refinement than Ford who knows.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 11:38   #13
Acuity30

Quote:
I'm not a chassis engineer but its going to vibrate differently in a different chassis and volvo may want more refinement than Ford who knows.
It's far more likely to be the same part from the same factory. Hence why the parts are interchangeable. No car manufacturer creates their own identical parts factory to what already exists, especially when using the engine from another company. Just paying Volvo tax.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 11:49   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
It's far more likely to be the same part from the same factory. Hence why the parts are interchangeable. No car manufacturer creates their own identical parts factory to what already exists, especially when using the engine from another company. Just paying Volvo tax.
Volvo do and always have done. that's why the volvo logo is on it.Yes its from the same factory BUT they TELL the manufacturer what quality and specifications they want. hence their name on it. That goes for every component on the car and that's the way they have always done it going back pre 1970's .
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 13:38   #15
Lancee
Premier Member

Take what you will from this, but I have been here and personally experienced the issue/s.

I still currently have three D5 Volvos. I have previously replaced vacuum mounts due to vibration, this including parts sourced from go to motor factors (ECP,GSF) and still ended up with residual vibration. The first (purchased online) one that I tried actually leaked from new, fortunately I vacuum tested it before fitting. Finally fitting Volvo OE solved the issue/s.

I have had the same scenario after replacing a gearbox torque mount. Vibration remained after fitting an "ebay special", again solved by fitting Volvo OE.

Handbrake shoes were the same. Two different brands of pattern parts (Apec being one?) from a local, highly respected motor factor. Absolute waste of my time. Volvo OE fitted and the handbraking efficiency was massively improved.

Yes, I may have been unlucky, and yes, perhaps a Ford part might be OK, but I certainly will not be faffing about with pattern parts in these areas again.

One final comment, and I may be wrong, but I believe that the vacuum mounts being within the vacuum circuit can (on my car/s) further relate to the turbo and other. Problems here can throw engine management codes and limp mode. Hit the loud pedal, engine moves on its mounts, vacuum leaks from engine mount, turbo says no deal, ECM says "here's an an engine light for you, and just for good measure you can limp home, cheapskate!".
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 15:33   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Take what you will from this, but I have been here and personally experienced the issue/s.

I still currently have three D5 Volvos. I have previously replaced vacuum mounts due to vibration, this including parts sourced from go to motor factors (ECP,GSF) and still ended up with residual vibration. The first (purchased online) one that I tried actually leaked from new, fortunately I vacuum tested it before fitting. Finally fitting Volvo OE solved the issue/s.

I have had the same scenario after replacing a gearbox torque mount. Vibration remained after fitting an "ebay special", again solved by fitting Volvo OE.

Handbrake shoes were the same. Two different brands of pattern parts (Apec being one?) from a local, highly respected motor factor. Absolute waste of my time. Volvo OE fitted and the handbraking efficiency was massively improved.

Yes, I may have been unlucky, and yes, perhaps a Ford part might be OK, but I certainly will not be faffing about with pattern parts in these areas again.

One final comment, and I may be wrong, but I believe that the vacuum mounts being within the vacuum circuit can (on my car/s) further relate to the turbo and other. Problems here can throw engine management codes and limp mode. Hit the loud pedal, engine moves on its mounts, vacuum leaks from engine mount, turbo says no deal, ECM says "here's an an engine light for you, and just for good measure you can limp home, cheapskate!".
I have been working for 47 years with volvo cars so know this Parts quality situation and try to help people, but so many know better with no evidence whatsoever , Thanks for backing me up.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 23:14   #17
Acuity30

Quote:
Volvo do and always have done. that's why the volvo logo is on it.Yes its from the same factory BUT they TELL the manufacturer what quality and specifications they want. hence their name on it. That goes for every component on the car and that's the way they have always done it going back pre 1970's .
Their name is stamped on it for Volvo tax. You think Volvo engineer their own motor mounts when they can't even be bothered to engineer their own engine? The C30/S40 is a Mk2 Focus. It isn't the 1970s anymore when you may have been correct.
Old Aug 3rd, 2023, 09:41   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Their name is stamped on it for Volvo tax. You think Volvo engineer their own motor mounts when they can't even be bothered to engineer their own engine? The C30/S40 is a Mk2 Focus. It isn't the 1970s anymore when you may have been correct.
You dont understand at all.

Volvo send a specification sheet to THE SUPPLIER Ford or who ever makes them for ford specifying exactly want they want from the product and which quality grade etc.. then the supplier makes them to that quality for Volvo. Ford Probably choose a lesser specification at a lower cost. I cant speak for ford as I haven't worked with them have you?

what's this about volvo not engineering their own engines? Yes they used the Peugeot/Citroen engines from 2004 to 2013 in some of their cars but they seem to give far less problems than the " same " engine in their native brands, perhaps that is because volvos tend to be serviced properly on the whole.
Old Aug 3rd, 2023, 18:48   #19
Acuity30

Quote:
You dont understand at all.

Volvo send a specification sheet to THE SUPPLIER Ford or who ever makes them for ford specifying exactly want they want from the product and which quality grade etc.. then the supplier makes them to that quality for Volvo. Ford Probably choose a lesser specification at a lower cost. I cant speak for ford as I haven't worked with them have you?

what's this about volvo not engineering their own engines? Yes they used the Peugeot/Citroen engines from 2004 to 2013 in some of their cars but they seem to give far less problems than the " same " engine in their native brands, perhaps that is because volvos tend to be serviced properly on the whole.
Do you have the specs sheet for the engine mounts for the Volvo S40 and the specs sheets for the Ford equivalent or are you just guessing?
Old Aug 3rd, 2023, 21:35   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Do you have the specs sheet for the engine mounts for the Volvo S40 and the specs sheets for the Ford equivalent or are you just guessing?
Of course not those are restricted documents.I have worked for 47 years in a volvo dealer I should know how it all works by now.👍