Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Foot operated tailgate operation hit-and-miss

Views : 2329

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2023, 23:04   #31
alwayslate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
It won't work unless the key is near the boot. Is the battery in the key nearly out? That could be the issue.
First attempt has been Fresh batteries in the keys.

Going to pick up a couple of Volvo batteries tomorrow to fault find as per dealer instructions so can't have excuses....

Reading other posts makes me think it's a faulty Main battery in the boot as Stop / Start also not working...
alwayslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 13:40   #32
Yelper85

Hi all,

Right, had a play around again last night and found some ‘interesting’ things. Here’s what I found:

With the boot closed

If the boot is closed and you open with the main tailgate switch or gesture, then force stop it when opening, it either stops where it is or is fully closes automatically depending on where the boot got to! On top of that, if the boot stays where it is and you gesture, instead of closing like all the other scenarios, it continues to open, and again it’s dependent on where the boot got to as to which it decides!

If the boot is closed and you open with the main tailgate switch or gesture, then press the close button or gesture, if you force stop it on the way down, it will always open automatically.

If the boot is closed and you open with the main tailgate switch or gesture, then force strop it, if it stays where it is, either gesturing or the button will always close it.

If the boot is closed, gesture kick or main tailgate switch to open, then gesture kick or button or force stop, then if you press the main tailgate switch, you will hear the lock actuator and boot will continue to rise every time.

If the boot is closed and you gesture open, then gesture stop, then gesture again, it will always close (same I

With the boot open

If the boot is open and you close (any method) then force stop, it will always open automatically.

If the boot is open and you close (any method) then gesture or close button stop, if you gesture or close button again it will continue to close (any combination leads to the same outcome)

If the boot is open and you close then force stop, it raises automatically, however gesturing or close button will stop it again. Gesture or close button after that will close it.

Basically the main tailgate switch will always make it open. The close button will always make it go down. The gesture kick is system state dependent.

Towbar

I’ve got the factory fit one, and with no load it works exactly the same. I didn’t have the bike rack to hand, however thinking about it, you would hope that if a load is connected, the system would disable the foot opening because if you accidentally trigger it, it’s going to open into the rack of bikes or trailer or caravan! I’m definitely going to try this and report back.

I couldn’t get it to accidentally open when playing around with tow bar either, and I was moving my hand in the same position and motion as my foot, but maybe I was just lucky (or is that unlucky?), or indeed it has something to do with it being factory fit. Interestingly though, this morning I walked by the back of car, and I heard the bleeps indicating it can’t open the boot as no key was detected, yet the only thing that could have triggered it was my shadow!? Explain that.

Max boot opening height setpoint

The 3 second press for setting the max opening also works perfectly

Hope that helps!

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 13:46   #33
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Even with a factory fit towbar and electrics connected it does not disable the powered boot. Multiple people have discovered the same. My car has a dent as proof.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5; 2016 XC90 T8
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 16:51   #34
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Even with a factory fit towbar and electrics connected it does not disable the powered boot. Multiple people have discovered the same. My car has a dent as proof.
You’re joking?! That’s ridiculous. I can see why you fitted the switch now! I can’t believe Volvo haven't implemented a software solution for this.

For the factory fitted Towbar it’s even easier. If deployed, disable foot gesture opening and internal cabin button opening so the only way to open is manually press the main tailgate button.

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yelper85 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 23:36   #35
davidwf15

simplest solution to prevent it closing / opening when hoovering or washing it......put the keys further away from the car - i.e. not in your pocket
davidwf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 07:03   #36
vonRypp

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwf15 View Post
simplest solution to prevent it closing / opening when hoovering or washing it......put the keys further away from the car - i.e. not in your pocket
“Lucky” for me, this function not working in Budapest as the local big radio tower uses the same frequency and causes interference with Volvo’s boot kick function. When I asked Volvo about this, they told me that Hungary is too small market for Volvo to bother about it… :P

It’s working perfectly fine outside of Budapest though.
Cloud Blue / Breeze
vonRypp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 08:52   #37
davidwf15

another perfect example of their lack of customer care
davidwf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 09:04   #38
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonRypp View Post
“Lucky” for me, this function not working in Budapest as the local big radio tower uses the same frequency and causes interference with Volvo’s boot kick function. When I asked Volvo about this, they told me that Hungary is too small market for Volvo to bother about it… :P

It’s working perfectly fine outside of Budapest though.
Reminds me of my Subaru Impreza Turbo. The engine immobiliser and alarm is affected by the radio frequency used by Police and Fire services on mobile phone masts. I finally gave up when we moved house near a mast and had to replace the whole system.

Subaru not interested apart from in the first 3 years, because they wouldn't modify the part for 100 cars if only 1 person was affected.

Last edited by Ulrikas PA; Jul 22nd, 2023 at 09:07.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote