Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 D3 Turbo problem

Views : 16482

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2019, 14:48   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c30volvodave View Post
hi i have been having an issue with my c30 d3 (which is standard) when i'm driving under load or accelerate at around 2000 rpm it holds back and an there audible air leak sound.
it has been to my local garage and they reported that the intercooler pressure sensor was faulty, so i have replaced but still does the same. went back and read the codes again and it comes up with a p003-85 error so changed the waste gate actuator, no change i rebuilt the turbo and its still the same. i have measured the voltages from the actuator position senor i have 5v supply and ground also there is 0.8 volts on the signal wire at idle (which i think is correct from what i have read)
while i was making some measurements today i noticed that the pressure sensor from the catalytic converter is making a high pitched squealing sound with the engine off.
However it has not flagged up on the obd/p codes. could this sensor be causing a boost issue?
from your first sentence it seems you have a boost leak from a hose or intercooler .
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 13:14   #12
biglittleXC60

Quote:
hi i have been having an issue with my c30 d3 (which is standard) when i'm driving under load or accelerate at around 2000 rpm it holds back and an there audible air leak sound.
it has been to my local garage and they reported that the intercooler pressure sensor was faulty, so i have replaced but still does the same. went back and read the codes again and it comes up with a p003-85 error so changed the waste gate actuator, no change i rebuilt the turbo and its still the same. i have measured the voltages from the actuator position senor i have 5v supply and ground also there is 0.8 volts on the signal wire at idle (which i think is correct from what i have read)
while i was making some measurements today i noticed that the pressure sensor from the catalytic converter is making a high pitched squealing sound with the engine off.
However it has not flagged up on the obd/p codes. could this sensor be causing a boost issue?
Hi, Sorry for necroposting, but this is EXACTLY the same issue my 2010 D3 XC60 is having. Have you ever resolved this? You have any suggestions of what I could try?
I'm also getting the following fault codes:
  • P004900 (Turbo Turbine Overspeed)
  • P023600 (Boost Sensor A Circuit, circuit range / performance)
  • P029900 (Turbo Underboost)
  • P046C85 EGR Sensor A, Signal above allowable range)
Any help, pointers or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by biglittleXC60; Jul 13th, 2022 at 14:13.
biglittleXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 09:43   #13
Cento16v

Definitely replace the TMAP sensor on the pipe going into the intercooler on the lower right hand side as you are looking into the engine bay.

Also check the MAP sensor isn't blocked on top of the engine.

There I'd also a PCM upgrade available from Volvo to cure P0299 being logged under long periods of full throttle, but as you have other codes this is unlikely to be the cause.
Ex S60 2.0 T5 BSR Stage 3+
Cento16v is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cento16v For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 10:02   #14
biglittleXC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cento16v View Post
Definitely replace the TMAP sensor on the pipe going into the intercooler on the lower right hand side as you are looking into the engine bay.

Also check the MAP sensor isn't blocked on top of the engine.

There I'd also a PCM upgrade available from Volvo to cure P0299 being logged under long periods of full throttle, but as you have other codes this is unlikely to be the cause.
Thank you very much for your reply.
What's the best way to get part numbers for Volvo parts?

I can move the EGR valve linkage by hand, so I assume it is not stuck, and all the piping including the throttle body was clean.
I can also move the turbo wastegate actuator linkage by hand, so I also assume that isn't stuck, but would there be any point in taking the piping off and giving it a clean / look-see?
biglittleXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 07:00   #15
Gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpo View Post
I have V60 D3 2012 and keep getting fault code regarding turbo: ecm p003a85. Car works fine.

Turbo tubes have been checked and valve was changed, but it didn't help. My third quess after tubes and valve was sensor malfunction, but it is measuring...although wrong percentages...unfortunately sensor is integrated to turbo.

I found one similar case in Germany and turbo change solved it...which is not my first option.

Local volvo dealer is not much help.

Any similar cases? I'd appreciate!
Was the issue found? Having the same issue now, after my Turbo got a new core and nozzle ring.
Gotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 13:08   #16
Mbonner02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha View Post
Was the issue found? Having the same issue now, after my Turbo got a new core and nozzle ring.
Did you sort this. I’m having the exact same issue on my V70 D3. I’ve unclogged and cleaned the sensor on the inlet mani which was really chocked up. Improved for a little while but still the same now. Got bad mpg aswell as the hissy sound low down the revs until you floor it then it clears and goes. I’ve removed the pipe under the intake mani and scooped all the soot out no different. No splits in boost pipes. Removed the sensor on intercooler which was surprisingly clean. Cleaned it but still the same
Mbonner02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 13:09   #17
Mbonner02

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglittleXC60 View Post
Hi, Sorry for necroposting, but this is EXACTLY the same issue my 2010 D3 XC60 is having. Have you ever resolved this? You have any suggestions of what I could try?
I'm also getting the following fault codes:
  • P004900 (Turbo Turbine Overspeed)
  • P023600 (Boost Sensor A Circuit, circuit range / performance)
  • P029900 (Turbo Underboost)
  • P046C85 EGR Sensor A, Signal above allowable range)
Any help, pointers or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Did you sort this. I’m having the exact same issue on my V70 D3. I’ve unclogged and cleaned the sensor on the inlet mani which was really chocked up. Improved for a little while but still the same now. Got bad mpg aswell as the hissy sound low down the revs until you floor it then it clears and goes. I’ve removed the pipe under the intake mani and scooped all the soot out no different. No splits in boost pipes. Removed the sensor on intercooler which was surprisingly clean. Cleaned it but still the same
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 13:10   #18
Mbonner02

Quote:
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 08:25   #19
Gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbonner02 View Post
Yeah got mine sorted, the turbo actuator was not giving correct readings. Replaced the whole turbo, and it's only smiles again.
You do get aftermarket actuators, but I was told they do not last as long as the original, and the original you can't get seperate.
Gotcha is offline   Reply With Quote