Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2018 xc60 dash cam

Views : 880

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2023, 11:15   #1
Wrxart

Default 2018 xc60 dash cam

Hi, I would like to install Nextbase 322 cam , anyone have this cam installed in thers cars? Can you share some pics and installation tips? Thanks
Wrxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2023, 20:32   #2
Tonyr027

If you search on here there is some posts with photos re installation of dash cams.
I haven’t posted but I bought an OPD connector that powers my camera and ran the cable up the side of the front pillar.

I’m looking to fit a front and rear camera when our new XC60 arrives next month.

There are some good clips on YouTube

2023 XC60 B4 Plus Thunder Grey - Blond Interior
Tonyr027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2023, 22:11   #3
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrxart View Post
Hi, I would like to install Nextbase 322 cam , anyone have this cam installed in thers cars? Can you share some pics and installation tips? Thanks
I have a thinkware F770 and it's not usb powered nor mounted in any view of the road, it's 12v. It takes power from a standalone power supply like a yeti powerbank (including negative feed so the camera is not earthed to the chassis earth), which is then powered up from the Volvo electrical system via a cigarette socket in the boot.

This way it's not interfering with any volvo electrical system, DAB signal or warranty issues. In addition you get parking mode so you record footage without draining the cars battery or triggering any battery management alerts with a background trickle drain.

The front view is excellent from the top of the front windscreen to the left of the intellisafe cameras, and the rear glass (S60) but works the same in a hatchback if you leave a loop on the cable to allow movement when boot opens and closes.

I would highly recommend something like this rather than a Halfords device running USB voltages, especially instead having a capacitor for power and not an internal battery, as the front of the cars get very hot in the sun and batteries in dashcams bulge.

The thinkware also dual saves, so minimizes SDcard corruption risk when impact is detected. (Believe me, I've had a cheaper dashcam fail after an accident and it missed the vital footage)
rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 15:38   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Easiest quickest and cheap way to connect a dash cam.

Stick dash cam on screen to the left of the intellisafe console, plug in one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224291663573 in the 12v socket and run one of these 3m cables https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134551262248 from usb adapter to dash cam, no trim removal required and fitted in a few minutes, tuck cable in as shown here. https://youtu.be/BjvrsHA_ATY
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 00:33   #5
davidwf15

hmmm...that isnt a particularly neat installation!....
I have just installed a cam in my XC60 and tucked the wires completely out of sight - it isnt that difficiult

also the cable in the video runs under the airbag which could potentially affect its' operation althought the jury's out over whether a thin cable would stand much chance against an exploding airbag.....but it should not be run like that
davidwf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 08:06   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwf15 View Post
hmmm...that isnt a particularly neat installation!....
I have just installed a cam in my XC60 and tucked the wires completely out of sight - it isnt that difficiult

also the cable in the video runs under the airbag which could potentially affect its' operation althought the jury's out over whether a thin cable would stand much chance against an exploding airbag.....but it should not be run like that
No it does not run under the airbag at all, it is just tucked in at the very top of the trim seam, it does not go in the trim just in the seam at the top the depth on the cable, I am happy with this simple quick and "safe" install, it's just a car not my living room, not bothered about the small bit of cable showing. Quick easy safe and it works.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 16:02   #7
KMC23W

"Not my living room".....love it....... yep that is exactly how I have installed dash cams...including rear cams.... in my last 4 cars....isn't a problem....quick...(buy some trim easing tools to make it a little easier)...minimal disruption...easy removal....
KMC23W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMC23W For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 13:14   #8
Basill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Easiest quickest and cheap way to connect a dash cam.

Stick dash cam on screen to the left of the intellisafe console, plug in one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224291663573 in the 12v socket and run one of these 3m cables https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134551262248 from usb adapter to dash cam, no trim removal required and fitted in a few minutes, tuck cable in as shown here. https://youtu.be/BjvrsHA_ATY
I used a 5m USB cable, same as yours from the camera down the pillar but then under the glovebox, and tucked under the trans tunnel side trim til it gets to the seat. Finally comes up over the side of the storage box hidden by the seat and is plugged in to the built in USB ports.
I used a USB splitter cable to pop a music USB stick in the same hole, leaving the other one free for Android auto/carplay.
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Basill For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 15:10   #9
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I've fitted one from fitcamx in my s90. Looks original and easy to connect.