Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vida+Mongoose use.

Views : 782

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2023, 23:30   #1
V70roma

Default Vida+Mongoose use.

A quick question re using vida. After just over a year of V70 ownership I have now got a Vida / mongoose set up. Is it important to start and stop the system in a particular order? ie open vida then plug in mongoose to obd port then ignition to pos 2 then plug USB to laptop.
Likewise for shut down is there a particular order.
Looking forward to finding lots of faults I didn't know I had !
V70roma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 23:41   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

You can't do any damage trying it different ways, and I know for the nano's it doesn't make any difference

as long as VIDA is running, the tool is connected to car and usb, and the ignition is pos2 or engine running, it should work when you click read car

I suppose the main thing is don't turn the car off halfway through a procedure. but even then probably worst case is you have to just start again

I prefer engine running in case of flatting the battery but for certain procedures it's best to start in pos 2 then cycle the engine on/off depending on what the instructions are telling you. for just reading codes far as I can tell it makes no difference at all

also don't panic if you get ABS warning light when reading and clearing faults, that seems to be normal and it goes away after you turn off and on again

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Feb 28th, 2023 at 23:44.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 23:48   #3
V70roma

Thank Stuart. Regarding flattening the battery is it OK to have a charger connected when doing diagnostics. I guess that any voltage related issues would be invalid.
V70roma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V70roma For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 00:07   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

yeah that'll also do it, that's probably what they'd do in a workshop anyway, better than constant exhaust fumes indoors

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Mar 1st, 2023 at 00:14.
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 10:31   #5
rob00158

I also have a VIDA Mongoose setup, as well as VDASH and a VXDIAG. VIDA is very useful. As per Stuart Bowes post, you can't really damage anything.
Have fun with the diagnostics! The fault finding processes are also extremely useful.

I had a faulty AQS (air quality sensor) that was also dragging down the BUS causing the passenger side heater control to act up! VIDA actually pointed me in the right direction diagnosing it. I unplugged the AQS and the heater controls returned to normal.

+1 for VIDA here!
rob00158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 10:42   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

ah that's interesting does mongoose work with VDASH.. nano does not (or not that I could fathom anyhow)

mini project - link