Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

An unreasonable bill for repairs?

Views : 1497

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2022, 16:01   #1
jameselson

Default An unreasonable bill for repairs?

Hi,

I have a V40 T4 and recently got a whopping repair bill after a 13 week repair. I'd like some opinions on what's reasonable.

In short, the ABS/traction control warning light came on, then said it was disabled 10 minutes later. The next day the engine warning light came on, and the car went into limp-home mode (wouldn't lev revs exceed 3000rpm).

I took it into the garage (Volvo North London), and it's been there for 13 weeks.

They said a scan told them the fuel pressure sensor was faulty. £138+VAT to replace. I couldn't see how this would have caused an ABS problem but they were adamant it was the fault. That took about 2 weeks.

That didn't do anything so they replaced the fuel filter. Nothing.

They checked various bits of the electrical system (after apparently having to wait weeks for some extra equipment to do so). Nothing.

Then they said the fuel pump needed replacing. £429+VAT That didn't fix it.

Then they replaced all the injectors [Really? Yes, really]. £464+VAT. Hurrah they said. Just some last minute cold-start checks to do. Silence for a few days, I chase them and eventually they admit the engine light still comes on and the revs are limited at 3000rpm. i.e. no advance on day 1.

Then they replaced the fuel injection pump [?]. £349.50+VAT. Now they say the car works.

Include labour and it's over a £2k bill.

Now, it feels to me like they were just swapping out parts until something seems to have fixed it (even though I can't help thinking this was a sensor/electrical problem all along - absolutely no symptoms until the lights came on, and ABS problems cause by a fuel injector pump? Really?)

What's reasonable here? I get that sometimes you need to fix one problem before another can be revealed, or rule out possibilities, but this seems really excessive.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

I now need my car over Christmas (and can finally unpack the summer holiday things) once I pay this "ransom" to get it back.

James
jameselson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 17:05   #2
TeamG
Master Member

Perhaps agree to pay for the final part that they fitted that they say fixed it, together with the labour to replace that item only, plus say a reasonable fee for diagnostics (£150?). Tell them to bear the cost for the rest.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 17:24   #3
scbamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
Perhaps agree to pay for the final part that they fitted that they say fixed it, together with the labour to replace that item only, plus say a reasonable fee for diagnostics (£150?). Tell them to bear the cost for the rest.
Brilliant answer. It is clear that the fuel pump was the problem from the outset, and that the Volvo dealer has copied other garages by simply using the scattergun approach of replacing random parts at the customer's cost.

Paying pump + diagnostic charge only (and even then the diagnostic charge would only be reasonable if it led to a diagnosis and cure from the earliest days) should reduce your bill by ~2/3rds.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scbamber For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 07:39   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I would contact volvo technical support/customer services to see if they would help. But I would agree in principle the misdiagnosed a number of parts which were not needed and they should bear the cost of that. They are also on dodgy ground holding on to your car if you don’t pay the bill - I would suggest you call the after sales manager and tell him you are disputing it, you’ll pay for the pump and some labour and work with them to agree what happens next.

We occasionally see stories like this on here and I don’t get it - in the vast majority of cases Volvo diagnostics and in car systems are very precise and it’s easy to decipher what’s going on - sounds like they’ve put the apprentice on it.

I’d also check your insurance policy and/or any breakdown cover you have - there may be legal services bundled with the policy to advise in cases like this.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 15th, 2022 at 07:43.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 09:00   #5
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

I thought that sophisticated dealer diagnostic software had done away with this sort of untargetted approach. I think @TeamG has the right approach here, maybe in parallel with Volvo Customer Service.
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 13:55   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

they dont get very good reviews i think your boosting their xmas fund . pay for the part that fixed the car not the ammunition for there parts cannon.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 14:15   #7
jameselson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I would contact volvo technical support/customer services to see if they would help.
Yep, I did this. They're investigating. Apparently they audit all repairs that take as long as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
We occasionally see stories like this on here and I don’t get it - in the vast majority of cases Volvo diagnostics and in car systems are very precise and it’s easy to decipher what’s going on - sounds like they’ve put the apprentice on it.
That's exactly what I'd have thought too. I actually ended up having quite a long chat with the engineer (who was introduced as their "master tech" and is listed as such on LinkedIn). He didn't sound like an apprentice, but yeah, too much digging around in the dark for my liking. He said he'd had to escalate up to Volvo tech support internally and wasn't getting much help from them.

James
jameselson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 09:18   #8
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Keep the thread updated James as it helps others in the future.

Hope you get that bill reduced by at least 60%.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 17:50   #9
Damoh89

As above I’d be on same mind as others pay labour,diagnostics charges and fuel pump that fixed problem and explain to them they more less had hit and hope policy and hadn’t a clue or not up to date on Volvos with software or staff training perhaps,but like don’t go to shop to pay for bread and milk may need in week or might not need as you have some in presses. Sort of a job
Damoh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damoh89 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 10:50   #10
Mervin

Ask Clan. He’s a top man to give advice
Mervin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mervin For This Useful Post: