Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Am I playing with fire?

Views : 9640

Replies : 104

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2022, 18:47   #51
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Westway are spot on in terms of quality & service (order direct for a few pounds saving-rather than ebay)
I use them for a '88 Volvo 240- '97 V70 plus Ford Spec oils.
Both Volvo oils are quite specific on specification- on is also an automatic.
Smith & Allen are another company very similar to Westway.

Once you get the specification right the savings are VERY WORTHWHILE without the loaded Volvo or other overinflated prices: Quality does not suffer when using both the above companies.
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2022, 16:28   #52
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Westway are spot on in terms of quality & service (order direct for a few pounds saving-rather than ebay)
I use them for a '88 Volvo 240- '97 V70 plus Ford Spec oils.
Both Volvo oils are quite specific on specification- on is also an automatic.
Smith & Allen are another company very similar to Westway.

Once you get the specification right the savings are VERY WORTHWHILE without the loaded Volvo or other overinflated prices: Quality does not suffer when using both the above companies.
Regards Bob.
Yep, that's what I did. Direct order and you can't beat 10L for £60 with free next day delivery when Volvo want £84 for 4 litres. Westway was less than a third of the price of the Volvo fluid.
al dm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to al dm For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 10:47   #53
bananarama

I did a 3.4L dump yesterday, and it finally has a hint of ATF red

Compared that to the coffee black stale smelling first dump

ATF_dump.jpg Funky ATF.jpg
bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananarama For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 12:11   #54
al dm

It's funny the things that make us happy! But I am with you, when my transmission is finally full of something vaguely red instead of black and manky, I will be happy...
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 19:06   #55
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

So I’ve a few questions after reading this, my S80 only has 33,000 miles on. I plan to change the oil around 36,000 as that’s when Volvo say to do it if it’s towed or taxi which it hasn’t. My gearbox box is a TF80 SD? Anyone know the difference between the C and the D?

I was going to get the oil from Volvo so I knew it was right. The book says AW1. Is this listed on any of the Volvo bottles?

Would you even bother at this millage? I want to keep it right. I don’t do many miles so could just do one sump dump every year with the engine oil change and the aux belt.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 10:21   #56
bananarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
So I’ve a few questions after reading this, my S80 only has 33,000 miles on. I plan to change the oil around 36,000 as that’s when Volvo say to do it if it’s towed or taxi which it hasn’t. My gearbox box is a TF80 SD? Anyone know the difference between the C and the D?

I was going to get the oil from Volvo so I knew it was right. The book says AW1. Is this listed on any of the Volvo bottles?

Would you even bother at this millage? I want to keep it right. I don’t do many miles so could just do one sump dump every year with the engine oil change and the aux belt.
Apparently D is the AWD version of C; is your S80 AWD?

Go for it, keep it sweet, there's no harm in dropping and refilling 3L of ATF.
bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananarama For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 10:42   #57
al dm

Quote:

Well, it certainly can't hurt to make it part of your yearly maintenance schedule, but it probably doesn't need it.

It's easy enough to do, and while you are under there draining the engine oil it would only take another 20 minutes or so to drain and add some transmission fluid.

The Volvo fluid is £84 for 4 litres though, whereas the Westway AW1 stuff is the same spec and only £34 for 5 litres...
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 12:33   #58
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
Apparently D is the AWD version of C; is your S80 AWD?

Go for it, keep it sweet, there's no harm in dropping and refilling 3L of ATF.
No it’s not AWD but I can see the gearbox plate and its deffo got D stamped on it.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 13:13   #59
al dm

Quote:
No it’s not AWD but I can see the gearbox plate and its deffo got D stamped on it.
I found this on the net:

"The TF-80 SD variant is 'AWD capable' - it has the mountings and PTO to have the transfer case for the rear propshaft and Haldex diff . The transfer case/angle drive is only fitted for vehicles with AWD though (it is bolted onto and takes it's power from the RH driveshaft output of the transmission, so a shorter RH front driveshaft is used)"
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 14:11   #60
al dm

That's my second lot of 3.5L of fluid drained and replaced. It took less than an hour today now I know what I am doing - and about 30 minutes of that time was waiting for fluid to drain.

Not much difference when I put some fluid on a paper towel. It's more brownish versus last week's blackish though. It smells better too, so that can't be a bad thing.

I am going to order another 10L of fluid and do a total of 5 or 6 drain/refill cycles. I know I hit the law of diminishing returns, but I need more fluid anyway, even if I only do one more cycle - and it can't hurt.