Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Door Open Message

Views : 1986

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2016, 19:34   #1
rrreynolds

Default Door Open Message

My 2008 XC70 has the following problem. The driver's door shows open even when closed. The door switch that is stuck open is evidently in the lock actuator, which is in by the latch. My Volvo dealer has quoted me $485 to replace the part. They said it is this part: 31253657

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/im...31253657_9.jpg

I have another quote from an independent shop for $370. And still another will let me buy the part online and bring it in and they'll charge me $100 to put it in. (They are a trusted body shop, so I believe they can do this job.) I can buy the part from Parts.com for about $126 plus shipping.

Until recently - I was set to go for option three, but I just watched a YouTube video of a guy taking the door panel off, and it looks pretty easy. I was afraid of butchering the door panel during removal but I think I can do it.

My questions are these:

Can anyone validate that this is the right part to fix the problem?

Does anyone have any tips to make the job go smoother?

Thanks -
rrreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 11:08   #2
savabill
Master Member

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/im...31253657_9.jpg
New link. The one above won't work.

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 03:52   #3
rrreynolds

Thanks -
The Following User Says Thank You to rrreynolds For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 18:37   #4
green van man
Premier Member

You will find the problem is a 50p micro switch. It's part of the lock sir, comes as a unit, except someone had to assemble the parts to make the lock.
Not looked at the P3 locks I admit but the P1 had a similar system and it was possible to change the micro switch, not an easy job but possible, depends on your mechanical aptitude.

Door card off is reasonably easy, putting it back on be aware that the card sits in a channel at the top, I failed to realise this when I took mine off to replace the door mirror and wondered why it did not look right although it appeared to fit, had to take it off and refit.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 02:05   #5
rrreynolds

Thanks very much.

Perhaps I'll spring for the new lock. That way I'll have the old one to take apart and figure out what switches to order on for the next ones that fail.

Unless you have a model number for the switch right now.

RRR
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 08:15   #6
green van man
Premier Member

No sorry, from memory it was a standard type micro switch with the little button type operating which stuck out of one of the long narrow sides.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 10:37   #7
Model flyer
Master Member

It's well worth stripping the lock down before buying a new one. Simple but fiddly job .take plenty of photos during strip down to help order of reassembly. I stripped cleaned and repaired the motors in my son's drivers door lock . He was quoted nearly £400 plus labour for replacement. It took us a few hours but cost nothing . The motors are just cheap motors found in toys etc so micro switch wont be anything special.The micro switch is probably just full of grease ,as were the motors for the central locking . A good clean can have it all working at no cost. If micro switch is defective you should be able get one from a Tandy or similar component store.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos

Last edited by Model flyer; Feb 27th, 2016 at 10:42.
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 09:59   #8
ronmanager

Resurrecting this as I have a similar issue BUT only on one key. My wife's key shows door open when she drives and the door won't remote lock.

My key starts the car, no door open message and locks the car fine too. My wife drives the car all day every day and her key may well be running low on battery as it gets used all the time but what a strange thing for the car to do? Any ideas?

2016 XC70 D5 (this car is a complete dog BTW. A lemon. A Friday afternooner)

UPDATE: A new CR2430 battery in her key solved the open door message and locking problem - so try a new battery in the key first.

Last edited by ronmanager; Jul 14th, 2022 at 10:53.
ronmanager is offline   Reply With Quote