Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 PCV Issue

Views : 668

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2022, 16:55   #1
leehump1

Default XC60 PCV Issue

I have a 2010 XC60 2.0 D3 2WD with 149,000 miles.

I noticed some oil leaking from the oil filter cap and from research this can be a PCV issue. I did the blue glove test over the oil filler hole (check YouTube) and the glove expands indicating a pressure issue. I took it to my local garage and he said the pressure doesn't seem excessive and not to worry.

Unfortunately I do worry 😂 I took the PCV apart this afternoon and can see the membrane or diaphragm orange thing is deformed. I presume this effects its use and it needs replacing. I can get a replacement online which I should be able to fit myself.

I attach some photos. All the posts I read online which talk about the membrane being at fault refer to it being torn or split rather than deformed. Do you think the membrane is my issue? Any thoughts.

Lee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220307_163422647.jpg (242.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220307_163413550.jpg (234.1 KB, 22 views)
leehump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 18:04   #2
leehump1

One other question. Is it safe to remove the deformed membrane and run the engine with an open PCV till the new one arrives? Is that better than running with a defective PCV which causes higher pressure?
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 18:40   #3
Adrian B

My filter housing cap was leaking on my 2012 D5. I bought a new filter because I needed a new seal"with tab" and fitted it back in/on carefully and the leak stopped!
Adrian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 19:06   #4
leehump1

I have changed the oil filter, replaced the seal (with a tab) and re-fitted and still leaks. Is the tab just for ease of removing it or does it need to go in a certain place. I still think I have a PCV issue as the diaphragm is deformed and when you put a glove tight over the filler hole it expands and blows up. When I do the glove trick on my two other diesels this does not happen and if anything there is a small amount of suction into the hole so complete opposite.
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 19:19   #5
Adrian B

It is a bit hit and miss so remove the filter cap, then the filter and finally the seal. Clean cap and seal. Coat the seal with fresh oil to help it stay in the correct situe for refitting. The tab faces toward the paper filter.
Then replace the filter in the cap and screw it down. Give it a couple of goes. It's free!!!
Adrian B is offline   Reply With Quote