Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 2018 D3 Squeaky Brakes

Views : 1109

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2022, 12:32   #1
Cameron1590

Default V60 2018 D3 Squeaky Brakes

Hello,

My V60 went into Volvo some months back for a few bits of work (battery, headlamp washer etc).

During the work, Volvo advised that the front brakes were getting low and I agreed for them to replace the front pads and discs.

Unfortunately, some months after the work, I know appear to get a screeching noise when driving at slow speeds and on full lock. It doesn’t seem to matter if I am braking at the time.

Just full lock, slow speed = screeching. It sounds like it’s coming from the front, almost like a pad is touching a disc but yet the noise remains if I apply the brakes.

I’ve had the car up on the Jack and had a good look/spin of the wheels and it all seems fine. No obvious rubbing etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Cameron1590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 12:54   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I'd take it back - also check genuine discs and pads are fitted, it's very rare for genuine bits to do that.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 13:00   #3
Toprivetguns

Interesting how it only happens on full lock. Is this in both directions?
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 21:06   #4
Cameron1590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toprivetguns View Post
Interesting how it only happens on full lock. Is this in both directions?
Yes, they told me at the time that they only use genuine parts. It’s only apparent at speeds sub 15mph and when turning.

With both wheels off the ground ie. Jacked up. The spin freely and without any noise on full lock. It’s strange.

Looks like it’s back to volvo
Old Feb 25th, 2022, 23:05   #5
Cameron1590

Well I decided to take another look at the car as I had some spare time this afternoon and didn’t want to wait weeks and have the inconvenience of running it back to Volvo.

Anyway, jacked the front drivers side up and gave the tyre a good spin on full lock. No noise.

I gave the tyre what I would describe as a good shake “left to right, up down” and alas the noise returned upon turning the tyre.

Whipped the wheel off and it turns out the dust shield was just touching the disc at the bottom but only when on full lock and agitated. Rather strange, anyway, with some light prying the problem was resolved.

An odd one but it’s sorted.

Cheers.
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 07:55   #6
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron1590 View Post
Well I decided to take another look at the car as I had some spare time this afternoon and didn’t want to wait weeks and have the inconvenience of running it back to Volvo.

Anyway, jacked the front drivers side up and gave the tyre a good spin on full lock. No noise.

I gave the tyre what I would describe as a good shake “left to right, up down” and alas the noise returned upon turning the tyre.

Whipped the wheel off and it turns out the dust shield was just touching the disc at the bottom but only when on full lock and agitated. Rather strange, anyway, with some light prying the problem was resolved.

An odd one but it’s sorted.

Cheers.
Glad to hear you've sorted it. However, if it wasn't making any noise before the brake work was done I would certainly go back to the garage where it was done and tell them of your findings. OK, sometimes things like this happen, that's life, but it should be bought to their attention as it appears the brake dust shield got slightly bent while the work was done.
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote