Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 2.4 Petrol missfiring

Views : 525

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 19:04   #1
Snightlo

Default V70 2.4 Petrol missfiring

Hello,
I just joined the Volvo community this month, by buying an old but seemingly reliable V70 from 98 with 210.000km on the clock. It had all the inspections done on time and just got through the German TÜV.

After some days of driving it, it startet to missfire briefly when stepping on to the accelerator. I am not an expert, but it feels like one cylinder is cutting out. This got a lot worse now. Last Friday after driving home around 30km and making a quick stop and then driving again it missfired the whole time.
Yesterday while driving to work it missfired most of the time and on the way back it did it all the time again after 15 km.

I checked the ignition sparks and every single one has a spark, so I guess there is no problem with the ignition system. New plugs are already ordered, as I got told it could be that the sparks are to weak for a proper ignition.

A friend of mine gave me his Bluetooth OBD2 Connector to check for Error Codes. I tried 3 different Apps but it could not connect, with the ECU.

Do you guys have any suggestions, about the error it self, or a proper way to connect to the OBD 2?

If you need more informations let me know.
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 19:22   #2
4x4
Premier Member

When was the fuel filter last changed?
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 19:28   #3
Snightlo

I dont know that, all the inspections have been done on time. Is it part of the inspection cycle? I can check the service booklet tomorrow for that
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 22:25   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Very likely that it's simply one of the coils is failing - this engine has separate coils for each plug. See if you can identify which cylinder is misfiring, then swap that coil for another one and see if the fault moves to the other cylinder. It probably will. Replace the coil on the cylinder that's misfiring and it'll be fine.

How do you tell which cylinder is misfiring? ideally, reading the codes will tell you, but I see you're having trouble with the code reader. Another method which I have used very successfully is to use an infra-red temperature gauge, like a gun with a red laser dot that you point at the object and it gives a temperature reading. Point this at the relevant cylinder (or ideally the exhaust manifold) and one will be reading cooler than the others. Other folk on here might come up with other suggestions, such as running it for a while and inspecting each spark plug, although that's quite laborious.

Just one word of warning - if I were you I wouldn't drive the car for long with a misfire. The reason is that the unburned fuel will ignite in the catalytic converter and raise its temperature quite a lot. Catalytic converters already run very hot, and if they get much hotter they will break down internally and collapse, so running with a misfire (especially if you're using a lot of power) gives a high risk of costing you a new catalytic converter. It's OK to run it for diagnostic purposes, but I'd keep it to that if I were you.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 08:45   #5
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Snightlo

If it is a 1998, it will have a single coil and a distributor cap and rotor arm. I would inspect the tip of the rotor arm and the posts in the distributor cap. Scrape off any corrosion or replace if necessary.

Here are some links to Skandix in case you are in Germany (but you should check for your specific car),

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...r-cap/1009698/
https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...butor/1009699/

The ignition cables could also be starting to fail. If they are original, the year of manufacture is printed on each cable.
https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...cable-kit/764/

If you remove the black top cover (Torx screws) then when it is misfiring, you could unplug each ignition cable in turn (pull on the boot not the cable), and see which cylinder is not having any effect.

It would be easy to do this before you replace the spark plugs, which are under that same top cover.

Hope that helps,
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)

Last edited by SteveSarre; Feb 23rd, 2022 at 08:49.
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 14:15   #6
Snightlo

It has a single Coil, the seperator is looking very new and got replaced a short time ago I recon.

The new Spark Plugs have arrived and I screwed them in. It is running very smooth now. I took it to a short drive and it run very well. I guess the sparks werent reliably igniting anymore, and or were not realy suited for the car.

None the less, thank you all for your suggestions. I would have tryed them out, wouldnt it have not been solved with that.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 16:57   #7
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snightlo View Post
It has a single Coil, the seperator is looking very new and got replaced a short time ago I recon.

The new Spark Plugs have arrived and I screwed them in. It is running very smooth now. I took it to a short drive and it run very well. I guess the sparks werent reliably igniting anymore, and or were not realy suited for the car.

None the less, thank you all for your suggestions. I would have tryed them out, wouldnt it have not been solved with that.
5-cylinder Volvos do seem to be very sensitive to plug wear and plug gaps. From my own experience with high mileage Volvos, misfires of the type you described are almost always due to a plug problem. Forget what the service schedules say, change them every 25,000 miles / 40,000 Km at the most. Plugs are cheap enough to make this a sensible precaution. Also, use a top quality plug - Volvo, NGK or Bosch platinum.

Regards
John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote