Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 flat battery, can't open car to charge it!

Views : 703

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2022, 20:49   #1
keithC70

Default C70 flat battery, can't open car to charge it!

HELP!!!

I spent a long time messing around in my C70 trying to use vida on wed and worried about having the headlights on so long, I flicked to parking lights.

On fri went to start and couldn't open the door, eventually realising that I'd left the side lights on and battery was dead. So now I can't open the bonnet to recharge the battery.

I tried the key in the door but there's no action - it's dead.

Anyone know how to get into the car so I can open the bonnet and remove the battery?

I've seen the american video where he charges his battery using a positive lead to the starter motor solenoid and a negative to earth to earth.

Has anyone used this method?

If all C70s are like this it must happen a lot?

Any ideas please?

Thanks,

Keith
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 21:53   #2
wynnj
Master Member

Don't know why the key doesn't unlock the driver's door but +12v to the starter solenoid plus an earth should work though you obviously need to be very careful that the +ve lead doesn't touch anything else. Connect the earth last and disconnect it first once you get the door unlocked.
I would be tempted to try and make an electrical connection to the starter with a small well insulated crocodile clip to minimise the chance of touching something else with a standard battery charger connector.
Once you've got 12v onto the car you should be able to use the remote to unlock it and then open the bonnet and charge the battery as normal.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 12:08   #3
mark2410

this happened to me recently, you have to use the little metal key to unlock the door manualy, then you can get inside and pop the bonnet.
2018 v90 D4 LHD
2009 C30 T5
mark2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 16:21   #4
keithC70

Thanks for the replies.

Mark, I've tried the key multiple times and tried to lubricate it but nothing works so far.

The key turns about 45 degrees in each direction and then is so stiff I can't turn it any more.

Can you remember if your key turned more than that? Did you have to force it or was it easy?

My battery is absolutely flat as I left the lights on for two days!

Thanks,

Keith
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 11:06   #5
keithC70

Default Managed to open doors!

Just to finish off the story, I have now managed to open the door with the key and remove the battery.

I doubt whether my key has ever been used before to open the doors. It was so stiff I was worried that something would break.

I think that I will remove the door cards and make sure everything is well lubricated and free to move in case it ever happens again.

Thanks for the comments.

Keith
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to keithC70 For This Useful Post: