Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 internal coolant loss - gasket or cracked block ?

Views : 3650

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2022, 11:32   #11
imck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyA View Post
Sounds like you need to give this ^ a try.
Thanks. So do you think there could be an external leak and the Volvo dealer plus an independent garage could have failed to find it ?
imck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 11:34   #12
imck

deleted

Last edited by imck; Feb 18th, 2022 at 11:39. Reason: duplicate
imck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 11:40   #13
seanc

Is there a possibility that a faulty or non-genuine water pump is fitted and the leak is happening under the cambelt cover where it can't easily be seen?
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 11:45   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imck View Post
Thanks for all the comments above.
Further advice would be much appreciated following the latest developments which suggest I may have to scrap the car after only 89K miles ! !

A Volvo dealer has now looked at it as follows -

- Coolant pressure fell from 1.5 to 1.3 bar over 15 mins
- No external leaks
- No exhaust gases in coolant (therefore they say highly unlikely it is HG)
- They say ERG leak is not possible on this model D5.

So a crack in the block is almost the only possibility they can see.
They want to take the head off to look.

If they take the head off and find a crack in the cylinder they say they are not allowed to simply put the head back on (I am in France).
A whole new engine is the only way forwards costing £11K.

The car runs fine today so I see no point in taking the head off, finding a crack and then scrapping the car !

Incidentally the rad was replaced 2 months ago.

My questions are -
- could the leak be so small they are missing it (falls 1cm per 200 miles) ?
- is it really impossible to repair a cracked cylinder liner ?
- could it be in somewhere like the heater pipes and so small I am not seeing damp or a smell - how do I take a look at those ?

I simply find it incredible that this car may be scrap and am looking for any possible alternative ways forward.
An engineering shop might be able to fit a cylinder liner sleeve , but the engine would have to be stripped down . all depending on where the crack is. .

Nothing lost in adding a bottle of K-Seal which could well do the trick , it has lots of very fine copper strands which find their way into a crack and seal it with the compound in the stuff. It sealed the bottom of a liner in an engine I had where coolant was leaking into the sump .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333217179...3ABFBM_rrsxuFf
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 11:47   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Is there a possibility that a faulty or non-genuine water pump is fitted and the leak is happening under the cambelt cover where it can't easily be seen?
A radiator or hose can be weeping too , but if you are using genuine volvo coolant it will leave a noticeable white stain .
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 18:15   #16
skv70d5

I have a similar issue with my 2001 V70 D5. The only place I see it leaking from is the expansion tank cap, and it still does it after replacing the cap.

Something is causing the pressure to build up and slowly force coolant out in the form of steam over time. This situation also causes the engine to display a warning about not having enough coolant even though it does, because once the engine is cooled, and I take the cap off, the expansion tank goes from empty to some point above the sensor and max, depending on how much driving I have been doing.

Coolant pressure test remains at 1.5 bar after 15 minutes and gas test is negative.

Volvo garage but a monitor remark in my last service stating the the head gasket might need changing due to over pressure. I have put coolant leak seal in a couple of times already, and I am probably renewing my coolant every year or so with my constant topping up.

I really hope something cheap is causing this and not the head gasket as I am already putting off a ~€1000 repair for my steering, and it has been constantly losing oil through the turbo output for years causing me to already replace the intercooler as it became an oil repository before it started leaking.

If I could find a 10 year old V70 for cheap I would probably buy that and then scrap this one; however, repairing it is probably what will happen even though the repairs will probably cost more than what the car is worth nowadays.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 01:11   #17
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

One always overlooked option is the actual cap, if it's not sealing it's constantly letting small vapour out, personally unless it's really losing it badly I would simply monitor and top it up when required otherwise you're in the haystack without a fork.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 10:15   #18
skv70d5

I recently replaced the cap in the hope that it would correct this issue but unfortunately it didnt.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 11:19   #19
Simmy
Premier Member

if you have been useing stop leak it is possible that the air bleed hole in the thermostat is blocked and or the stat is stuck closed
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 12:30   #20
skv70d5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
if you have been useing stop leak it is possible that the air bleed hole in the thermostat is blocked and or the stat is stuck closed
Interesting point; however, would this not cause my engine to overheat, as it always remains at 90 degrees according to its gauge?

Tags
coolant loss, cracked block, cracked liner, head gasket