Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593984

Replies : 2690

Users Viewing This Thread : Chrisv60, Stroudy

Old Dec 27th, 2021, 16:42   #2531
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
The cam cover gasket weeping at the rear? Yes, that is another common problem. I agree these early VEA engine have a lot of problems!
I've just had the cam cover on my 2014 V70 D4 replaced as they don't do the sensible thing of offering a standalone replacement gasket.

The shame is that if we put the issues aside (Yeah! Right!) the VEA D4 engine with its balancer shafts, 178 bhp, and eight-speed automatic gearbox is a great combination from the perspectives of refinement and performance.

I remember a time long ago when I'd have loved to own a Rover P6 3500 V8 for the tremendous performance that it offered, but the humble V70 D4 would leave it standing.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 17:31   #2532
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
I've just had the cam cover on my 2014 V70 D4 replaced as they don't do the sensible thing of offering a standalone replacement gasket.

The shame is that if we put the issues aside (Yeah! Right!) the VEA D4 engine with its balancer shafts, 178 bhp, and eight-speed automatic gearbox is a great combination from the perspectives of refinement and performance.

I remember a time long ago when I'd have loved to own a Rover P6 3500 V8 for the tremendous performance that it offered, but the humble V70 D4 would leave it standing.
... While doing about triple the mpg!

I do miss the D4 VEA performance, economy and driving experience now that the V60 has gone. The faults (and multiple recalls) were irritating though, although Volvo were great with the goodwill contributions.
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 22:32   #2533
paulmaguire99

Unhappy 2016 XC60 D4 with Check Engine light and fault code P04D9

Been reading this thread and it scares the crap out of me. How did this happen with a respected manufacturer like Volvo!

My XC60 has 30000K on clock and the Check Engine light has just came back on due to this fault code after coming on about 8000 miles ago, but a mechanic friend of mine put a special cleaning fluid through the tank which temporarily made it go away (or so I thought).

What is Volvo's obligation here?
paulmaguire99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 22:34   #2534
paulmaguire99

Angry 2016 XC60 with Check engine light on and P04D9 fault code

Been reading this thread and it scares the crap out of me. How did this happen with a respected manufacturer like Volvo!

My XC60 has 30000K on clock and the Check Engine light has just came back on due to this fault code after coming on about 8000 miles ago, but a mechanic friend of mine put a special cleaning fluid through the tank which temporarily made it go away (or so I thought).

paulmaguire99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 23:09   #2535
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmaguire99 View Post

I had no problems with EGR cooler replacement 100% Volvo goodwill, according to the dealer this was because it had FVSH, car had done less than 100k miles and was less than 7 years old. So if the same rules apply you should be ok.

If the EGR cooler is blocked (so no flow through the EGR system) then how did adding anything to the tank help? If you get no luck with Volvo then YouTube can tell your mechanic friend how to clean out the cooler.
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 11:36   #2536
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmaguire99 View Post

My D4 VEA had the EGR modification (in fact 3 attempts by Volvo until it was fixed with the latest definitive fix which included re-routing some of the cooling pipes as well as software upgrades). So the cure is more than just cleaning the EGR and cooler. Best to push Volvo to fix it as most cars will have been fixed by now.

However I also subsequently had Check Engine warnings due to a blocked EMAP pipe and also a faulty throttle body actuator.
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 14:26   #2537
Sazelle

Angry

Mine is in the garage now! 2015 D4 r-design. Currently arguing with Volvo as it’s not at approved garage. My argument is that all other work has been done by dealer and the part that is going on is a genuine Volvo part fitted by a qualified technician. So should not matter where it is, what they should be worried about is why it’s there! Volvo customer services “claim no issues known” I said that’s not true and they need to sort it out. I have asked the garage to retain the part.
Sazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 21:33   #2538
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
My D4 VEA had the EGR modification (in fact 3 attempts by Volvo until it was fixed with the latest definitive fix which included re-routing some of the cooling pipes as well as software upgrades). So the cure is more than just cleaning the EGR and cooler. Best to push Volvo to fix it as most cars will have been fixed by now.

However I also subsequently had Check Engine warnings due to a blocked EMAP pipe and also a faulty throttle body actuator.

I spoke to soon! No problems in last 4 years, and then dreaded Check Engine light on again today. P04D9 code read on OBD reader so looks like EGR problem (again!). I've reset the code today and has stayed off so far. Looks like another trip to the dealer to see if Volvo goodwill still an option. Car almost 8 years old and have owned it from new.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 15:14   #2539
scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
I spoke to soon! No problems in last 4 years, and then dreaded Check Engine light on again today. P04D9 code read on OBD reader so looks like EGR problem (again!). I've reset the code today and has stayed off so far. Looks like another trip to the dealer to see if Volvo goodwill still an option. Car almost 8 years old and have owned it from new.
I'd be interested to know how you get on with Volvo on this one considering the cars age. Assume you've got full main dealer service history.
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 18:13   #2540
Fimac

SO, 2014 XC60 D4 - I have had a replacement egr at 50 k in warranty, the car has done now nearly 100k. No issues thus far, but i do only use the car on motorways or faster A roads 90%.
I use fuel additives, or snake oil......

I checked the accessible valve unde the egr today by slipping the black plastic cover off. The bottom of the cover has rust staining!

So I gave it a blast of WD to ensure nasty damp air stays away, and the mech was quite free.

I then checked with OBD using a maxilink at tickover -
My EGR PTC% was 26.7 to 34.1
EGR ERR% was -0.8 to 0.0

Does anyone know if that is normal please ...?

I have to decide if the car goes or stays......it's good otherwise but i will ship it out if I start getting issues!!
Fimac is offline   Reply With Quote