Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 915549

Replies : 6550

Users Viewing This Thread : Jackman, Othen, Paulk

Old Dec 11th, 2021, 08:14   #1461
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-Member View Post
Looking at this thing, got almost nothing going for it and they want hear £10k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203738982...gAAOSwiU9hrKjd
Sadly they're likely to get it too - it's called the Blue Oval Tax. A comparable car from Vauxhall, Volvo or whoever would be about half that for similar condition.
Tha said it's surprisingly rust free given the colour, beige cars from that era always seemed to rust very quickly, even when they were new. Aside from the RS 4-spoke alloys (that were an original option but it doesn't have the full set, the spare is the standard Rubery-Owens pressed steel "Sports" wheel) it appears to be entirely standard even down to the non-servo brakes.
Good basis for a concours restoration.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 08:44   #1462
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Sadly they're likely to get it too - it's called the Blue Oval Tax. A comparable car from Vauxhall, Volvo or whoever would be about half that for similar condition.
Tha said it's surprisingly rust free given the colour, beige cars from that era always seemed to rust very quickly, even when they were new. Aside from the RS 4-spoke alloys (that were an original option but it doesn't have the full set, the spare is the standard Rubery-Owens pressed steel "Sports" wheel) it appears to be entirely standard even down to the non-servo brakes.
Good basis for a concours restoration.
As my brother said when he looked at my new purchase 245, " you've got to WANT one!"
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 17:06   #1463
morwenna240

Iwould say, about the blue oval tax, is that in period there were a lot of them, an a lot of people bought them. Time went on an they were scrapped, in their thousands. Now, the people who bought them aren't dead yet an they looking to relive youth etc. Not many cars, lots of buyers= ^ prices.

There's quite a few 240's about, always 5 or 6 on ebay, an CanC. Not so many of us wanting to relive our wild youth in a 240!
I have mine as daily driver because, well, u know why, solid, proper steel, reliable, house removal in two loads, NO STOOPID COMPUTERS telling u what u can an can't do. An i can fix it. All of it. In 20 yrs of V ownership, i have never had a breakdown. Puntures, ok. No breakdowns. Quite nice, XC's, but don't bother opening the bonnet. . .
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to morwenna240 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 17:41   #1464
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna240 View Post
Iwould say, about the blue oval tax, is that in period there were a lot of them, an a lot of people bought them. Time went on an they were scrapped, in their thousands. Now, the people who bought them aren't dead yet an they looking to relive youth etc. Not many cars, lots of buyers= ^ prices.

There's quite a few 240's about, always 5 or 6 on ebay, an CanC. Not so many of us wanting to relive our wild youth in a 240!
I have mine as daily driver because, well, u know why, solid, proper steel, reliable, house removal in two loads, NO STOOPID COMPUTERS telling u what u can an can't do. An i can fix it. All of it. In 20 yrs of V ownership, i have never had a breakdown. Puntures, ok. No breakdowns. Quite nice, XC's, but don't bother opening the bonnet. . .
You could use the same argument for Mk1 Cavaliers, Astras etc - there are even fewer of those around combined than any one particular Ford model but the prices still aren't as high.

Likewise with 240s, not so many around but the prices still aren't that high, unless you count the ones listed at silly prices.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 18:53   #1465
morwenna240

I had a Cavalier est, loved it, quite nippy, never died, good room in back, quite volvoish.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to morwenna240 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 21:43   #1466
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna240 View Post
I had a Cavalier est, loved it, quite nippy, never died, good room in back, quite volvoish.
That was a Mk2 then, generally more plentiful than the Mk1 but not in estate format, hardly any of those left now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 22:19   #1467
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

I've had three Vauxhalls. The Model E Velox was a roly-poly hoot; the Viscount was thirsty but oh-so gangsta: the diesel Astra estate was a dog.

-------------------------
A great all-rounder
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 22:30   #1468
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
I've had three Vauxhalls. The Model E Velox was a roly-poly hoot; the Viscount was thirsty but oh-so gangsta: the diesel Astra estate was a dog.
I don't really remember the Velox, the Viscount was indeed thirsty whether in 2.8 or 3.3 form but a very sweet six-pot and yes, Disastra Diseasels are definitely nothing to write home about - my dog is covering her ears as she feels insulted at being compared to an Astra!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2021, 15:53   #1469
Moomoo
VOC Member

I see our Bolton friend's white 240 isn't floating many boats but this time it's got an 1800 ES as company!

The plot , like my gravy, thickens!
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2021, 23:49   #1470
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Quote:
I don't really remember the Velox ...
The Model E Velox was a comfy thing but the 2252cc-6 became reliable only after I learned to carry core plugs in the glove box.

Quote:
in 2.8 or 3.3 form ... a very sweet six-pot
True. I still have an FD Ventora on my wish list.

-------------------------
A great all-rounder
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post: