Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tools

Views : 2794

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2021, 22:01   #21
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Yes... all of the above... drinking and bidding on e-bay etc.

I currently have i.r.o. 11 socket sets which are either older Draper (and one Toolstar) and Halfords. Also extra sets of torx, hex, security bit, and deep sockets, impact sockets, various extensions and wobble bars. I never struggle to find something for that awkward bolt...

With regard to the Draper socket set I've owned since I was 15, I found a "new old stock" one on e-bay about 5 years ago which I bought for ~ £120. It was pointless really as I'll never use it and it's not an ornament. I've been using the first one for longer than I will likely live (or be able to work on cars (or be allowed to own a car?)). I bought that at the time as I was working on a lot of old grass cutting machinery and needed Whitworth (WW) sizes (if you're 40 or under, Google it....)

At the time I wanted it because it was in a metal box and I'm sure that's why it's still in use....

....and I don't work as an engineer anymore, anything I do now is a hobby, for a friend or old customer.

I also once had a vintage Stanley Professional socket set that I was given which date back to the 1970's but I loaned it to a friend who had it stolen from his shed.
Grass cutting machinery . Ah , the Allen Oxford. What a beast.

Talking of age, that's why I ridded my two old Land Rovers. Do you remember trying not to strip threads?
No chance now chap, not strong enough!
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 00:03   #22
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Grass cutting machinery . Ah , the Allen Oxford. What a beast.

Talking of age, that's why I ridded my two old Land Rovers. Do you remember trying not to strip threads?
No chance now chap, not strong enough!
Allen Oxford - wasn't that a power scythe?

Most of the stuff I was working on then was Ransomes - cricket pitch and outfield equipment, with a fair few Suffolk Punch's thrown in and the old Atco.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 09:08   #23
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:

Most of the stuff I was working on then was Ransomes - cricket pitch and outfield equipment, with a fair few Suffolk Punch's thrown in and the old Atco.
My first job at 15 was in the local parks department. - junior assistant groundsman. I still lust after a Ransomes Auto Certes with the BSA sloper engine. I have walked many miles behind one of those - with three bowling greens to mow three times a week. Happy days.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 09:28   #24
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:

Yes, a power scythe with triangular , replaceable knives and huge wheels, you've got it !

Ransomes kit was superb quality and very invovative, wasn't it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 09:31   #25
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
My first job at 15 was in the local parks department. - junior assistant groundsman. I still lust after a Ransomes Auto Certes with the BSA sloper engine. I have walked many miles behind one of those - with three bowling greens to mow three times a week. Happy days.
Made to a quality , not to a price!

I'm a nostalgic old git!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 18:05   #26
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:

I learnt my mechanicking at an early age on Dad's Suffolk Punch. This was mid 50s, I'm amazed I've still got all my fingers.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 22:41   #27
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Ah - the Auto Certes - with a sloper (or Villiers F12 to give it the correct name) - I've never seen one of those engines actually worn or burning oil - a superb piece of manufacturing. Most of them have been scrapped because the coil packs were hand wound with wax and paper and they deteriorate and fail. There is now a company re-manufacturing them on an exchange basis but they're something like £100. And with the lovely simple, tickler start Amal carburetor. I loved those mowers but with that sodding great flywheel if you hit a bolt or piece of metal it would often all but destroy the cutting cylinder....

And the Suffolk Punch - my favorite - and I think one of the best mowers ever made (the early cast iron sided ones, not the later pressed steel). I love the old Suffolk engines as well, runs on an egg cup of oil, ultra reliable.

In my storage I have to restore one day a 17" Suffolk Punch Groundsman edition (12 bladed cutting cylinder rather than 6) complete with original 98cc engine (identifiable over the 75cc versions as they have 8 cylinder head studs).

Takes me back - yes Ransomes kit was great but the parts extortionately expensive, little wonder most councils and parks departments are now using Toro.

A must for Suffolk Punch fans : https://eafa.org.uk/work/?id=792214
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Nov 28th, 2021 at 22:47.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 10:31   #28
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Anyone remember the Ransomes Antelope??
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 13:43   #29
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Anyone remember the Ransomes Antelope??
Yes, also walked many miles behind one of those. We used them for mowing grass fronts on housing estates and the private gardens in sheltered housing. It seemed to generate many offers of cups of tea
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2021, 22:19   #30
chelle_belle
and Craig!

Quote:
Yes, also walked many miles behind one of those. We used them for mowing grass fronts on housing estates and the private gardens in sheltered housing. It seemed to generate many offers of cups of tea
I use to do the same job but on ride-on mowers, yes plenty of brews on offer, now on road sweeping but do miss the mowers.

Craig

855 R
855 T-5
chelle_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chelle_belle For This Useful Post: