Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driving in Europe 2022

Views : 1009

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2021, 18:37   #1
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

Default Driving in Europe 2022

I will be driving my 1965, UK registered, 1800S in Continental Europe in May 2022.
I plan to travel in the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Norway.
My car has a chrome GB on its rear.
What am I required to display in future, and what additional documentation must I carry?
MY wife and I are British nationals.
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 21:30   #2
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

The country code for UK registered cars is UK (since 28 September of this year).

I can't see any reason why you can't keep your chrome GB, but it no longer has official meaning.

You need to carry your driving licence (valid if the card and issued on UK mainland) and insurance details. You should also take your V5.

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 03:01   #3
Army
marches on his stomach

Tips for the Netherlands

If you are sticking to main roads and motorways then your driving experience will be very similar to the UK (with the exception that the Dutch on the whole don't believe in leaving a safe brake distance between vehicles).

If you venture out onto rural roads and into built up areas then keep en eye out for yellow triangles (or the lack of yellow triangles) at junctions. If there is a yellow triangle either just before (on roads with faster speed limits) or just after / next to the junction then you have right of way. If there is no triangle then it is most likely that traffic from the right has right of way...

...I've heard many a comment from UK drivers visitng me full of stories of "and then the effing prick pulled right out in front of me"!

Keep an eye out for rows of white give way traingles painted on the road. These are used in addition to the yellow triangles to help make things clearer.

####

If you are not driving through France then I don't think you need to worry about carrying alcohol testers

####

If you break down the Dutch do expect you to mess about with setting up a warning triangle and I think people are happier if you then wander about wearing a day-glo vest but I don't think either are a legal requirement.

People will get upset about UK headlights with out adjusters but they won't freak out as much as they do in France.

####

Speeding fines and crossing solid white line fines in this country are way way more expensive than they are in the UK. If you get caught the rozzers are likely to make you pay at the roadside. If need be you will be marched to the nearest cashpoint. Best to carry a credit card - Mastercard is more widely used here than Visa. (American Express is more or less a thing of the past here). Debit cards used to work in either side of the channel but post brexit banking relations might be different - I don't know for sure.

If you travel at speeds in excess of 50 kph above the speed limit on motorways (and get caught) then they will take away your vehicle. In a built up area (say 50 kph) the rule is reduced to an excess of 30 kph.

Motorway speed limits here at the moment are a bit messed up. During "day time" hours the maximum speed limit is 100kph. After hours you can do 130kph (signs say when).
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!

Last edited by Army; Nov 25th, 2021 at 03:04.
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 10:31   #4
arcturus
arcturus

I think that you will find that reflective triangles and high vis vests are mandatory. Frankly anybody who doesn't carry them for emergency, needs their brains testing. Some countries mandate that if you wear glasses you need to carry a spare pair. Again a no brainer. It's all about self preservation.
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 09:49   #5
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
I think that you will find that reflective triangles and high vis vests are mandatory. Frankly anybody who doesn't carry them for emergency, needs their brains testing. Some countries mandate that if you wear glasses you need to carry a spare pair. Again a no brainer. It's all about self preservation.
I appreciate that - however when it comes to what is actually legal and what is not I beleive these requirements are not legal requirements in the Netherlands. I have no idea about the other countries.

The Netherlands is a strange place:- At this time of year a lot of people change their tyres from summer to winter tyres. There isn't a legal requirement for this in the Netherlands but there is in Germany, and I assume (but do not know) that in more northern countries snow chains would also be necessary if not legally required.

The "trick" about all season tyres is slowly filtering through here but it has taken a long time for people to cotten on...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 01:59   #6
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

I'm not sure that winter or all-weather tyres are actually a legal thing in most German laender, just that using inappropriate tyres may go against you in the event of an accident.

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 04:41   #7
c1800
Master Member

Maybe this?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote