Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo v70 d5 163 ------ Fuel Light

Views : 659

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2021, 20:52   #1
Mkengineering
Master Member

Default Volvo v70 d5 163 ------ Fuel Light

Just a quick on here,

At what stage do you guys see your fuel light come on?

Today my v70 d5 fuel light came on stating that I had '120 miles left in the tank'

I was only 15miles off and the car completely went dead! At that point I had no idea what it was and thought the worst.

Anyway called the TheAA and they tell me ' mate you're tank is empty'

I was completely surprised and shocked as it said I had 120 miles left!

Anyone else had this similar issues. I usually trust my instinct and usually fill up, but as the computer said I had X amount I trusted it.
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 21:16   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Could be a sticking float given a false reading but both levels on each side of the tank can be read with Vida and they should be within a few litres of each other.
Any anomaly is easy to spot.

Alternatively, your in tank pump could be dead and not pulling fuel across the tank meaning you have enough fuel in the tank but no way of accessing it hence why it breaks down before actually empty.
In that situation, a quarter of a tank or so has to be treated as empty to avoid getting caught out.
When there is sufficient fuel, the Euro 3 D5 can run without a functioning tank pump.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 22:18   #3
Mkengineering
Master Member

So what you're saying in laments terms is I'll need a new fuel pump
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 22:18   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkengineering View Post
Just a quick on here,

At what stage do you guys see your fuel light come on?

Today my v70 d5 fuel light came on stating that I had '120 miles left in the tank'

I was only 15miles off and the car completely went dead! At that point I had no idea what it was and thought the worst.

Anyway called the TheAA and they tell me ' mate you're tank is empty'

I was completely surprised and shocked as it said I had 120 miles left!

Anyone else had this similar issues. I usually trust my instinct and usually fill up, but as the computer said I had X amount I trusted it.
The fuel light comes on at around 50 miles remaining on my car, but I try not to let it get to that stage (if possible).

I don’t trust the fuel remaining readout because it drops rapidly! When the gauge gets to quarter, that’s when I usually add fuel.
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 22:58   #5
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Lowest i've run my EU3 D5 down to is '20' miles remaining and needle is at the bottom of the red, during the fuel panic buying.
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 23:18   #6
Mkengineering
Master Member

Its worrying as my stupid volvo the fuel light came on at 120 miles.

But from what I'm understanding the car has two pumps? Is that what someone has said or I just misunderstood that completely
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 11:37   #7
tykesi

I just ignore anything the car tells me about MPG or range. God knows who designed it but it’s so far out it’s hilarious. Now you know you have roughly 15 miles once the light is on, you just fill up sooner next time.
tykesi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tykesi For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 13:13   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkengineering View Post
So what you're saying in laments terms is I'll need a new fuel pump
No not necessarily.
You can hear the tank pump with ignition on and if the fuel filter was removed, you'd be able to see if the tank pump is producing flow so further checks would be needed.

It's also worth saying that the range indicator is an average based on previous driving but when fuel is low, you can get through the remaining fuel very quickly if the driving style was slightly more aggressive. You may have nothing wrong and were just caught out.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 13:58   #9
Mkengineering
Master Member

I think from now on, I'll go back trusting the guage instead of the bloody digital one.

Thank you chaps
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 14:20   #10
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Many of us have suffered with /from this issue .My 2.4 NA does the same . My old D5 left me stuck on the M1 on a very dark and wet night with "130 miles to empty " showing . The cure was the float been bent a bit, the contacts cleaned etc . I need to do mine as its a joke sometimes when the fuel gets low .Parking on a incline can cause it not to want to start
JJD1 is offline   Reply With Quote