Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

K-Jet idle adjustment question

Views : 340

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2021, 17:14   #1
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Default K-Jet idle adjustment question

Hi all,
My wife’s new ‘88 NA 740 (B200E) is an absolute peach of a car. The engine is smooth and peppy, and runs like a sewing machine. The quietest redblock I’ve come across, clearly a car which has had an easy life and maintenance intervals met.

I’ve tidied up a few bits that needed doing (drive/PAS belts, epic level coolant flush to rid it of the nasty OAT rubbish that was in it for some reason, new thermostat as it wasn’t getting up to temp etc) and now it is super smooth, reaches running temp quickly and all works as it should in terms of heating and cooling.

The only thing I haven’t been able to sort out is a bit of an idling oddity. Starting from cold, it fires up as it should and sits at around 1000rpm for a minute or so, then drops down to around 800rpm for the second stage of the warm-up cycle.

So far so good…the curious thing is, however, that after a run, when the car is up to temp, it then idles unusually high again, at around 1200rpm!

I’ve noticed that there is a microswitch behind the throttle lever (similarly to my LH2.4 cars) but that the throttle lever is adjusted so as not to touch said switch at any point in its travel. When the car is up to temp and I toggle that switch manually, the idle drops down to where I’d expect it to be when hot, around 700rpm. Release it, and it goes straight back up to 1200.

Is this a similar setup to the IACV trigger on the LH2.4 system? This is the first K-Jet car I’ve owned so am learning as I go. My suspicion is that it’s been adjusted in the past by a mechanic who doesn’t understand the system, but this is coming from me, a (very much amateur!) mechanic who doesn’t understand the system…

Any advice would be very gratefully received!

Ta,
Phil
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 18:57   #2
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Phil,

Think I saw some mention of idling on a thread about Saving Kilorans 940 on here.

Pretty certain Luke (360 Beast) was replacing an engine for Kiloran, plus a myriad of other stuff, and recall some posts from either Luke or Dave (Laird Scooby) mentioning exactly about mechanics adjusting the idle incorrectly.

Might be worth a look at the thread, sorry I haven't yet fathomed how to copy and paste on here yet?

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 19:01   #3
Steve 940
Premier Member

Phil, see page 6 on Saving Kilorans 940
Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 21:31   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
So far so good…the curious thing is, however, that after a run, when the car is up to temp, it then idles unusually high again, at around 1200rpm!

I’ve noticed that there is a microswitch behind the throttle lever (similarly to my LH2.4 cars) but that the throttle lever is adjusted so as not to touch said switch at any point in its travel. When the car is up to temp and I toggle that switch manually, the idle drops down to where I’d expect it to be when hot, around 700rpm. Release it, and it goes straight back up to 1200.

Is this a similar setup to the IACV trigger on the LH2.4 system? This is the first K-Jet car I’ve owned so am learning as I go. My suspicion is that it’s been adjusted in the past by a mechanic who doesn’t understand the system, but this is coming from me, a (very much amateur!) mechanic who doesn’t understand the system…

Any advice would be very gratefully received!

Ta,
Phil
You've hit the nail on the head Phil! First you need to adjust the throttle butterfly so the idle microswitch is made. There should also be a knurled head plastic screw with an insert hole for a large (8 or 10mm) Allen key, wind this all the way in, counting the turns until it stops. Now wind it all the way out and remove it. Clean the pointed end with carb cleaner and also the holes it screws into - one hole is obvious, the other is deeper inside.

Now refit the air idle bypass screw (as it's called) and screw it all the way in. Start the car and make sure the idle microswitch is activated so it's idling at its slowest. Adjust the throttle butterfly to get it to 600rpm, making sure that if the idle switch disconnects while you do this that you adjust the TPS position to keep the idle microswitch made.
Once complete and it's idling at 600rpm, lock the locknut on the throttle butterfly screw and preferably put some quick drying paint on the threads of the screw and over the nut (TippEx, nail varnish and similar all work too) to prevent accidental movement and provide an indication if it has been touched by someone who shouldn't touch it, lock the screws that secure the TPS and then with it still idling at 600rpm, slowly undo the idle bypass screw until it idles happily at 700rpm.
I'm sure you've done the PCV system already but double-check the small bore vacuum stub on the inlet manifold is clear.

Job done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Phil, see page 6 on Saving Kilorans 940
Cheers
Steve
Close but no cigar Steve - Phils is K-Jetronic and Alans (Kiloran) is LH-Jetronic 2.4 - translation, K-Jet is purely mechanical and LH is fully electronic. Although the setting up procedure is similar it's slightly different as the K-Jet doesn't have an Air Idle Control Valve and likewise the LH2.4 usually doesn't have the Air Idle Bypass Screw. The procedures are very slightly different as a result and also because of a couple of other things too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 10:35   #5
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Amazing, thankyou Dave!! Stellar advice as always. Will get onto this asap!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post: