Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing front brake disc shields

Views : 2641

Replies : 64

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2021, 14:52   #51
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
With all of the parts and tools to hand this morning it was time to resume battle.

Jacking up front end, front wheel ,front disc, caliper, and caliper yoke removal all went swimmingly, not least because I had re-fitted everything with the old bolts and done them up finger-tight.
Applied chisel and hammer to hub dustcap and pried it off.
Applied 36mm socket and 18" breaker bar to hub nut and then stand on bar to crack the nut.
So far, so good.
Remove remains of old backing plate - also simple.
Use the bolt removers to extract the old backing plate bolts and put a pound coin in the swear box.
At this point it all went horribly wrong.
The backing plates, which are allegedly correct for an ABS-equipped car, don't fit. Put another pound in the swear box.
Re-fit the hub to the stub axle, and discover that it will not rotate at all. The hub bearing has collapsed, thereby preventing the hub from turning. Much industrial language, albeit under my breath, follows. Empty wallet into swear box.
Re-assemble front end, have a brew and couple of biscuits and give up for the day.
You should be able to reassemble the hub bearing, i've had to do that a few times - find the right spot and they go back with no pressure, wrong spot and no amount of pressure will get the inner races back in!

Then hold them together while refitting on the stub axle. Use a long tube to push the inner race onto the stub, nothing else or you risk popping them out again.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 15:09   #52
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You should be able to reassemble the hub bearing, i've had to do that a few times - find the right spot and they go back with no pressure, wrong spot and no amount of pressure will get the inner races back in!

Then hold them together while refitting on the stub axle. Use a long tube to push the inner race onto the stub, nothing else or you risk popping them out again.
I'll try it once the weather improves: it's currently liquid air - not raining but certainly not dry.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 15:15   #53
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'll try it once the weather improves: it's currently liquid air - not raining but certainly not dry.
Yuck! The sort of weather that puts my blood pressure up into dangerous levels, literally!

I can definitely relate to not wanting to do anything when it's like that!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 18:30   #54
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

The only positive thing I've taken away from today's exercise is that I haven't had to visit A&E!

Old Sep 15th, 2021, 08:57   #55
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

What, if any, grease should I put on the stub-axle/wheel spindle before fitting the hubs?

Old Sep 15th, 2021, 09:03   #56
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
What, if any, grease should I put on the stub-axle/wheel spindle before fitting the hubs?
None. Just check there are no burrs on it (there shouldn't be but it can happen) and take any off with a file or emery cloth - not sandpaper! The bearings in the hub should slide on smoothly and snugly and are retained by the hub nut.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 12:32   #57
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
None. Just check there are no burrs on it (there shouldn't be but it can happen) and take any off with a file or emery cloth - not sandpaper! The bearings in the hub should slide on smoothly and snugly and are retained by the hub nut.
I didn't think there was, but I'd rather ask BEFORE installing them onto dry spindles and then learning that they were meant to be lubricated.

Old Sep 15th, 2021, 14:51   #58
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I didn't think there was, but I'd rather ask BEFORE installing them onto dry spindles and then learning that they were meant to be lubricated.
Fair play, like i always say, there's only ever one stupid question and that's the one that isn't asked!

How did you get on with tht FE 2300S by the way?

Old Sep 15th, 2021, 15:22   #59
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi tony
I have just been experiencing some steering wobble when braking at higher speeds 60mph ,no other issues so possible hub is my problem ?
Its hard to say, it could be the disk is warped if there is no wobble outside braking. I'd say if you leave it longer it will get worse and you will get the other symptoms if its the hub. A runout test would be a good idea, but check for contamination between the hub and disk.

Sorry to hear the bearing has collapsed, I specifically didn't think that would happen. Hopefully it will go back together from the others instructions.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 15:58   #60
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Fair play, like i always say, there's only ever one stupid question and that's the one that isn't asked!

How did you get on with tht FE 2300S by the way?
It's only when someone asks the same question for the third time in as many minutes that you conclude that one or more of the following is/are true:

The questioner has no brain cells;
The person being questioned has not explained the matter clearly and concisely;
Both parties are blessed with a brain cell deficiency;
The two parties are talking about totally different matters.

I've not checked out that FE - yet.