Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Going rate for an estate

Views : 1183

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2021, 13:41   #11
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

The OP (P_O) said above, "I think there’s a time when buying a car that you sort of give up looking and buy the next one you see. All have pluses and minus, you could factor in the cost of your time to search and the effort that goes into that as money saved."

I agree with that and dealers know when you run out of steam but how one of these 15 to 20 year old cars drives is also a deciding factor. It took me 2 years of looking to find a replacement for my 2002. Many of the cars had wobbly wheels AND a rough sounding wheel bearing.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 14:02   #12
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

This is true I may have found a slightly younger version if I had the liberty of more time, I may have been willing to waiver a little more mileage for knowing the cam belt had been done for example, or a 100% perfect leather interior maybe.. poxy lock down was a factor as well I think the dealer knew I wanted to get something sorted quick..

having said that I am glad I have the glass headlights not those yellowing plastic things, so swings and roundabouts

But by that point I had looked at many many ads on the Internet which at least showed me bodywork condition.. and that combined with the low mileage was a strong selling point, albeit in the knowledge that I would have to replace some parts myself.. is a bit of a toss up sometimes, yes a higher mileage car will have probably had a new clutch already if manual, timing belt, various faults already sorted, but then you also have all the rusty nuts and bolts that fight you every time you do a job, general wear and tear in other ways.. 6 of one half a dozen of the other I guess

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Sep 5th, 2021 at 14:10.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 09:42   #13
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
I think there was a 2.4t as well as the t5 which was a 2.5? Or have I got that the wrong way around..

I know I've read discussions about one of them being weaker with narrower gaps between cylinder bores, or something to that effect so you might want to look into that if you really want a turbo

Tbh the non turbo one is pretty punchy though, and if you do a lot of driving in London i would question is a turbo really necessary, I guess yes if you do a fair bit of fast road driving as well
There was a 2.4T, which was later replaced by the 2.5T.
Supposedly, the 2.5T can be prone to cracking between the cylinder liners, if modified and thrashed, as the engine has been bored out to its maximum.

I have a 2.4T and love the acceleration available! Overtaking is an absolute breeze.
I also had a turbo back 2.5" stainless steel exhaust system installed, with a 200 cell sports cat, that really freed up the gas flow.
Due a stage 1 remap, that should take it up to over 240BHP, close to the 2.4 T5!

Still get between 26 and 29 average mpg.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 19:53   #14
Planet_Ovlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
The OP (P_O) said above, "I think there’s a time when buying a car that you sort of give up looking and buy the next one you see. All have pluses and minus, you could factor in the cost of your time to search and the effort that goes into that as money saved."

I agree with that and dealers know when you run out of steam but how one of these 15 to 20 year old cars drives is also a deciding factor. It took me 2 years of looking to find a replacement for my 2002. Many of the cars had wobbly wheels AND a rough sounding wheel bearing.
Didn’t discover my wobbly wheel - I think a warped near side wheel - until quite a few hundred miles into ownership. Really knowing a type of car helps a lot with the brief often passenger based road trials.

This one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-VOLV...-127635-2958-0 has been around for a while and is a mirror of my car but with the NA 170 but £4K it’s crazy money.

Might have to sit it out a while until silly season passes.

Wonder if anyone could compare a D5 to a non turbo 2.4 petrol - just back from a well trodden run Devon to London and the D5 ran like a clock with good power when needed. Do they compare or does a diesel have mid range power a petrol could never have?
Planet_Ovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 20:14   #15
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

that doesnt look too bad, carpets are a bit grotty and seats are a bit tired.. you get away with it more though with leather.. obviously no idea what issues could be lurking... it's the mileage that ruins it for me, for that money you'd want to half that

I've got my eye on the bottom end of the market.. If I see an old high mileage sh!tter for a few hundred quid with everything totally knackered but with decent grey leather seats I'll be straight on that

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Sep 6th, 2021 at 20:18.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 20:22   #16
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet_Ovlov View Post
...Do they compare or does a diesel have mid range power a petrol could never have?
in my experience (but not having driven a D5 to compare) the mid range is fine, in my case it's the top end that lacks a bit of punch. If im doing say 80mph and I want to toe it, it takes an age to get up to the tonne

(entirely theoretical of course I never go over 70)

looking at the 140bhp vs. 170bhp power curves though that makes sense, mine flattens off hard around 5.5k or so whereas the 170 map keeps pushing

I'm still thinking of getting mine re-mapped..

but off the line, it takes something pretty decent to get ahead of me, and anything up to 70 is a breeze

the best thing I've owned to compare it to was a 323 (2.5 straight 6) and this is at least an equal, possibly a touch quicker but loses it in the top speed.

the 323 would do 120 all day long effortlessly (And obviously was more fun at the roundabouts, handling was definitely superior .. the v70 is most definitely a cruiser not a racecar, but therin lies the point for me, it's fast enough for it's own capabilities imo)

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Sep 6th, 2021 at 20:25.
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 19:45   #17
MScustomflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet_Ovlov View Post
Didn’t discover my wobbly wheel - I think a warped near side wheel - until quite a few hundred miles into ownership. Really knowing a type of car helps a lot with the brief often passenger based road trials.

This one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-VOLV...-127635-2958-0 has been around for a while and is a mirror of my car but with the NA 170 but £4K it’s crazy money.

Might have to sit it out a while until silly season passes.

Wonder if anyone could compare a D5 to a non turbo 2.4 petrol - just back from a well trodden run Devon to London and the D5 ran like a clock with good power when needed. Do they compare or does a diesel have mid range power a petrol could never have?
Haven't driven a D5 nor a non turbo 2.4 but I'm pretty sure you'll notice a serious lack of torque going from the diesel to N/A petrol.

Just to throw some fuel consumption figures in, I get around 21mpg doing the daily commute out of my V70R and around 31mpg on a good run sat at 70 on cruise control
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 23:09   #18
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

surprisingly good figures for a powerful engine..

about the same as I get from the N/A, give or take - hard to compare exactly on the long runs as all of mine tend to be heavily loaded and with roof bag on top

mini project - link
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 02:40   #19
MScustomflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
surprisingly good figures for a powerful engine..

about the same as I get from the N/A, give or take - hard to compare exactly on the long runs as all of mine tend to be heavily loaded and with roof bag on top
That's going on what the car says which may not be real life figures. I just fill it up when it's empty lol. Used around 3/4 of a tank the other week from Fort William to Huddersfield which is 340 something miles