Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant leak front centre of car

Views : 8132

Replies : 67

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 06:15   #51
360beast
Go redblock or go home

If you were up for it you could get your 940 transported to me and I could drop in a B230 bottom end and you can get used heads for £100 on eBay. It would be a 2.3 turbo bottom end with 9:1 compression so it would lose a bit of grunt that way but would gain torque and power from the extra 330cc. The b230 bottom end came from a 1988 760 turbo that I broke years ago and ran very smoothly.

It's an option to save you trying to find another 940 for the winter and end up buying more problems for more money! You might as well stick with what you know and just do the engine swap.

I would recommend all gaskets, seals and belts be replaced while the engine is out and access is easy.

Last edited by 360beast; Jul 23rd, 2021 at 08:48. Reason: Spelling
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 20:55   #52
kiloran

Well, I think it's time we started calling 360Beast Doctor.

My 940 is off to him shortly for an engine swap and general fettling.

In the interim I've gone back to a familiar home and got a cheap Mk4 Golf to run around in. Had a TDI for years so I know them well and have the tools, this is a 1.6 16V petrol with a few quirks to iron out, nothing a bit of a clean, tune and liberal application of VCDS that won't sort. Towbar so I can still transport bikes for the summer, and potentially it will end up replacing our other car as my partner likes it. Only slightly more economical than the 940 believe it or not (my thirtysomething hooligan right foot might have been reawakened by familiar surroundings). Prefers 98RON too!

Must not start modding it. Must not start modding it.

(already looking at exhausts, EGR delete, cat bypass, and induction kits, usually good for 10% extra bhp plus more grunt)

Last 1600 16v I had was a Toyota MR2 Mk1 twenty years ago, now that was a fun engine to play with. Ended up with almost 150bhp, I remember scaring the beejezus out of much lardier cars on track days with it.
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 21:09   #53
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Well I am getting a big blue Volvo 760 turbo so I suppose I could name it the Tardis

Watch for tin worm on the golf, I think they put salt in the paint on those haha.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 21:35   #54
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Well I am getting a big blue Volvo 760 turbo so I suppose I could name it the Tardis
Drive it fast enough and it may even go back in time!

Wait - hang on, you need the B280E V6 engine for that!

............ and a flux capacitor ..................... i've got acid reflux, will that work?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 22:53   #55
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Drive it fast enough and it may even go back in time!

Wait - hang on, you need the B280E V6 engine for that!

............ and a flux capacitor ..................... i've got acid reflux, will that work?
Nahhh 760 turbo is faster

😂😂 almost an acronym but not quite.
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 23:03   #56
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Nahhh 760 turbo is faster

😂😂 almost an acronym but not quite.
Maybe but there wasn't a 2.3 turbo under the bonnet of the DMC-12 ........................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 23:11   #57
kiloran

Quote:

Watch for tin worm on the golf, I think they put salt in the paint on those haha.
Not too bad actually. Just a scabby bonnet from motorway miles. No arch rust which is really surprising. Under 100k miles for a 20 year old car, usual window and door lock issues. Running a bit lumpy occasionally, diags say intermittent ignition circuit fault on #4 cylinder which I'm putting down to a dodgy coil pack because it's not smoking, performance isn't affected, and it's not using coolant. If not, it's worth more in parts than I paid for it. The 80 profile tyres on steelies are hilarious, like clown car tyres.
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 06:00   #58
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Maybe but there wasn't a 2.3 turbo under the bonnet of the DMC-12 ........................
They would have sold more if it had 😁

Wasn't it the B28 in those? When I had that 760 I emailed someone in the DMC owners club to see if anyone would be interested in the B280 and they said it wouldn't work as it wasn't an odd fire engine or vice versa.
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 06:02   #59
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Not too bad actually. Just a scabby bonnet from motorway miles. No arch rust which is really surprising. Under 100k miles for a 20 year old car, usual window and door lock issues. Running a bit lumpy occasionally, diags say intermittent ignition circuit fault on #4 cylinder which I'm putting down to a dodgy coil pack because it's not smoking, performance isn't affected, and it's not using coolant. If not, it's worth more in parts than I paid for it. The 80 profile tyres on steelies are hilarious, like clown car tyres.
That is surprising!

Sounds like you're on the case and know what your doing with though so I'm sure you'll have it running spot on in no time.

Yes I can sympathise with the tyres, my 360 has similar profile tyres on 13" wheels haha.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 08:16   #60
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
They would have sold more if it had 😁

Wasn't it the B28 in those? When I had that 760 I emailed someone in the DMC owners club to see if anyone would be interested in the B280 and they said it wouldn't work as it wasn't an odd fire engine or vice versa.
It was indeed the B28 in the De L'Orean which was the odd-fire engine, the B280 is the even fire engine, more powerful/economical/smoother/reliable. However because of all the emissions control stuff hung on it by the USA so it would pass their emissions tests, i'm surprised it actually reached 88mph and even a 2.3 turbo wouldn't have helped much as it was extremely heavy being stainless steel.

My point was you need a V6 for time travel................... and a flux capacitor........

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: