Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340 1.4 rough ans slow idling

Views : 53463

Replies : 219

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2021, 22:54   #71
Two340'sman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Even with a fuel return on a carb engine, the pressure and flow is pretty low so it doesn't mix very quickly. With an injection engine, the pumps are generally rated at about 60psi and 30-40 galls/hr (that's a generalisation, specific models can have specific fuel delivery numbers) so if you use say a gallon an hour driving, 29-39 gallons gets circulated round from the tank, through the injection rail and out of the fuel pressure regulator (usually set ~40psi static, again depending on the engine) so as you can see, the pumps are over-specced on injection engines.

The worrying bit there is some vapour from the tailpipe and a sweet smell - is it a bit like you might imagine burned hazelnuts to be but pretty sweet? That's the nearest i can describe, your nose might smell something different though.
It might be described as burnt hazelnuts, also reminds me of my toy steam engine that used to run on methylated spirits burning to heat the water.
Two340'sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 23:02   #72
Two340'sman

What does methylated spirits taste like?

https://youtu.be/ep2I3Gf3Sec

Worth watching to the end!
The Following User Says Thank You to Two340'sman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 00:10   #73
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
What does methylated spirits taste like?

https://youtu.be/ep2I3Gf3Sec

Worth watching to the end!
Big Clive is pretty funny, watched quite a few of his teardowns of various things. Surprised he actually tasted it though, the alcohol composition of meths actually makes it a neurotoxin so even without the bitter flavour you wouldn't want to drink it - at best you'd go blind, worst you're dead. You probably wouldn't care much about the latter as it would be too late but the former would make life pretty difficult.

When i suggested burned hazelnuts that's the smell i usually associate with coolant being burned by the engine and with the extra vapour you mentioned suggests a weepy head gasket. Have you checked the coolant level recently?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 00:34   #74
Two340'sman

Quote:
Big Clive is pretty funny, watched quite a few of his teardowns of various things. Surprised he actually tasted it though, the alcohol composition of meths actually makes it a neurotoxin so even without the bitter flavour you wouldn't want to drink it - at best you'd go blind, worst you're dead. You probably wouldn't care much about the latter as it would be too late but the former would make life pretty difficult.

When i suggested burned hazelnuts that's the smell i usually associate with coolant being burned by the engine and with the extra vapour you mentioned suggests a weepy head gasket. Have you checked the coolant level recently?
Watched Big Clive quite a lot.

I also thought of head gasket, only checked level of coolant through plastic master cylinder tank. Will look properly tomorrow, also will look at oil. Engine runs fine above tickover.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 01:23   #75
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Watched Big Clive quite a lot.

I also thought of head gasket, only checked level of coolant through plastic master cylinder tank. Will look properly tomorrow, also will look at oil. Engine runs fine above tickover.
Back when i was just a young pup and many of the cars i ran develped HGF, they almost always ran ok at higher revs in the first stages, there was just enough of a weep in the HG to allow coolant to pass into the combustion chamber and/or cause a slight loss of compression to give a misfore on idle.

If your coolant level has dropped a bit, i'd suggest looking at the plugs when the engine has been sat overnight to see if any of them are wet - coolant will leak into the pot where the HG is weeping and make the plug wet quite often. Also a hot compression test might be in order - all plugs out, disconnect the coil or ignition module if you have electronic ignition, wedge the throttle wide open to give it all the air it needs and test.

If it is the HG on its way out, the sooner you catch it the better. Might be worth doing a decoke and lap the valves in while you have it apart.

It's a wet-liner engine so don't turn the crankshaft with the head off, i know for some cars special service tools that are similar to head bolts with what amounts to a tube with a washer stuck on the end of the tube slid over the bolt can be used to hold the liners in place to facilitate turning the engine over while decapitated but even then it's not really advisable. If you break the seal between the bottom of the liner and the block, you'll find it hard to get it to reseal, on some engines this is near impossible and needs the whole block to be machined!

Fairly sure the B14 isn't one of those but no sense in givng yourself extra work either way!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 10:01   #76
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Quote:
Well did a 10 mile round trip today, still got an intermittently poor idle.

The fuel was down to about 2 gallons, so put the 2 litres of methylated spirts in.

Drove around a bit, don't think I noticed any improvement.

Took air filter off, found the slotted head screws under it that I assume hold ithe carb on. They were not loose, but tweaked them slightly. ran engine, no difference.

Removed the idle valve with idle jet, put in another idle valve that may have been doctored and does not have the idle jet and the car idled better!

Cleaned the idle jet and refitted the original idle valve, idle perhaps slightly better, but not right.

Given up for the moment. MOT at the beginning of July.

Got a bigger problem now, just received a party wall notice from neighbours surveyor. The are doing massive building work next door (it's a semi) including removing the chimney breasts, extensions everywhere. I've having my own surveyor, not using theirs.
Party wall notice… now that brings back sleepless nights
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 18:53   #77
Two340'sman

Too hot for me today, just checked oil and coolant, both look OK, no coolant in oil, no oil in coolant.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 18:57   #78
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Too hot for me today, just checked oil and coolant, both look OK, no coolant in oil, no oil in coolant.
If my guess is right and it's the very beginnings you may not see any cross-contamination yet, hence my suggestion of a compression test.

Were the levels both ok?

Old Jun 13th, 2021, 19:10   #79
Two340'sman

Quote:
If my guess is right and it's the very beginnings you may not see any cross-contamination yet, hence my suggestion of a compression test.

Were the levels both ok?
Yes, both fine, oil quite clean too.

Too hot to go into the garage to search for the compression tester, perhaps ill do that early tomorrow. Garage has a flat reinforced concrete roof that has been absorbing the sun all day!
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 19:18   #80
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, both fine, oil quite clean too.

Too hot to go into the garage to search for the compression tester, perhaps ill do that early tomorrow. Garage has a flat reinforced concrete roof that has been absorbing the sun all day!
I can relate to that! My back garden is a sun trap and i need to weed my patio - despite being in the shade now the sun has moved round, the slabs are still throwing heat out!

Hopefully the compression test won't show anything worrying and meanwhile the meths gets rid of the excess moisture. Out of curiosity, what petrol do you run on? A thought has just occurred to me about a few strange anomalies i've heard about, seemed to effect some cars more than others.