Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T6 running rough P0087 and P0088

Views : 1007

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2021, 11:02   #1
grubby mits

Default T6 running rough P0087 and P0088

Hi. 2008 T6. Just been serviced at my independent and now running rough - intermittent black exhaust smoke smelling of unburnt fuel. Codes showing are P0087 (fuel rail pressure too low) and P0088 (Fuel rail pressure too high). My immediate thought is a faulty fuel pressure sensor but I guess it may be a faulty pump. Have checked MAF and pressure sensor connections and both seem OK. I cant work out if the fuel pressure sensor regulates or just monitors the rail pressure. If it regulates pressure then how - is there a valve and return pipe somewhere for excess fuel return?

Once I know a bit more about how the system functions I may be more confident in the diagnosis.

TIA

GM
grubby mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2021, 12:30   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby mits View Post
Hi. 2008 T6. Just been serviced at my independent and now running rough - intermittent black exhaust smoke smelling of unburnt fuel. Codes showing are P0087 (fuel rail pressure too low) and P0088 (Fuel rail pressure too high). My immediate thought is a faulty fuel pressure sensor but I guess it may be a faulty pump. Have checked MAF and pressure sensor connections and both seem OK. I cant work out if the fuel pressure sensor regulates or just monitors the rail pressure. If it regulates pressure then how - is there a valve and return pipe somewhere for excess fuel return?

Once I know a bit more about how the system functions I may be more confident in the diagnosis.

TIA

GM
Why don't you bring it back to the garage? It was running fine before they serviced it.

Has the fuel filter been changed?
Old May 31st, 2021, 09:30   #3
grubby mits

Hi Kev

If the fault was not with the garage I may be opening up an expensive can of worms if I take it back to them. No, fuel filter not changed at service.

A bit of research and head scratching leads me to the conclusion that the pressure relief valve/system is part of the pump assembly itself and not a relief valve and return pipe on the fuel rail. Today I will see if I can test the actual fuel pressure with a gauge - hopefully that will tell me if the sensor is faulty or not (if I can find out what the specified pressure range should be). If its not the sensor it looks like it must be the pump.

GM
Old May 31st, 2021, 10:36   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

I’d change the fuel filter in the first instance to see if that makes any difference.
Old May 31st, 2021, 11:13   #5
savabill
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I’d change the fuel filter in the first instance to see if that makes any difference.
I think the t6 fuel filter is located in the tank, and is non serviceable.

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2021, 11:32   #6
grubby mits

Cleared the codes and took it for a run. Cold start fine; 5 mile run fine. Parked up and left it for 10 mins then re-started. Lumpy idle and black smoke; stalled on engaging "D". Managed to pull away using constant throttle pedal pressure (and brake pedal together to slow down/stop). Found a clear straight and put my foot down - flew like a bird and performed faultlessly until back home (so I don't think its a permanent fuel flow/blocked filter issue).

Downloaded codes again. Now P0191 (Fuel pressure sensor A circuit range/performance). Did some more research. Now pretty sure its a bad pressure sensor so I'll try that first, but I see others have been there before and a new sensor hasn't cured the problem.

I'll let you all know.

GM
The Following User Says Thank You to grubby mits For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 12:31   #7
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby mits View Post
Cleared the codes and took it for a run. Cold start fine; 5 mile run fine. Parked up and left it for 10 mins then re-started. Lumpy idle and black smoke; stalled on engaging "D". Managed to pull away using constant throttle pedal pressure (and brake pedal together to slow down/stop). Found a clear straight and put my foot down - flew like a bird and performed faultlessly until back home (so I don't think its a permanent fuel flow/blocked filter issue).

Downloaded codes again. Now P0191 (Fuel pressure sensor A circuit range/performance). Did some more research. Now pretty sure its a bad pressure sensor so I'll try that first, but I see others have been there before and a new sensor hasn't cured the problem.

I'll let you all know.

GM
Don't pay over the odds for Fuel Pressure sensor...For T5s you can get the original Bosch ones for £30 approx so make sure you shop around. T6 sensor is probably very similar if not the same as T5.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 16:53   #8
grubby mits

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Don't pay over the odds for Fuel Pressure sensor...For T5s you can get the original Bosch ones for £30 approx so make sure you shop around. T6 sensor is probably very similar if not the same as T5.
Thanks for that. Will speak with the main dealer tomorrow but I THINK the Volvo boxed ones are IRO £100. There are plenty on line form £29.95 (mostly from Berlin based auto parts stores such as AUTODOC) but I can't believe the quality will be as good and there is a 10 day delivery wait. The part number I need is 31272732. Is that a match for the T5?

Thanks.

GM
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 17:50   #9
grubby mits

Update:- I changed the sensor with a new one from Volvo today. The part No I got from VIDA for the T6 was 31272732 and this was the number of the new sensor the main dealer supplied. The part No of the old one I have just taken off is 30756097. The only visible difference between the two is the presence of as plastic "ear" to take a wiring clip. The Bosch number stamped on the case is 0 261 230 110.

Googling the Bosch number shows a much wider choice of sellers and lower prices. If anyone else needs to swap the fuel rail pressure sensor I recommend searching by the Bosch number rather than the Volvo part number.

I have fired up the engine and it is running fine - the codes have cleared. Test drive tomorrow!

GM
The Following User Says Thank You to grubby mits For This Useful Post: