Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Planning on buying a 240 this summer, any advice?

Views : 4203

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2021, 13:50   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
He was, but I think Alan may have been using this as a representative example of the type of thing that is available, and not indicative of a specific model. It does however tie in nicely with the other thread dealing with a PV that we have also all posted upon. J.
In that case :

https://www.tradera.com/en/item/1001...o-245-85-b200k

https://www.tradera.com/en/item/1001...4603/volvo-945

A couple of possible out of the whole 29 Volvos i found listed on there. First is a rather tin-worm chewed 245 in need of a new drivers floorpan plus other electric-glue type repairs and the 945 doesn't seem that much better in all honesty although the tin-worm isn't so obvious.

Given the cost and evident rot on the 245, i'd suggest somewhere like Spain, Italy or similar would be better for a LHD model or find a half decent RHD in the UK (or maybe a LHD from someone who has done similar before) and not have to worry about the costs of repatriating it to the UK, subsequent registration costs and so on. That would pay for a lot of repairs/upgrades/improvements to get it how the OP wants it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2021, 13:57   #22
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
In that case :

https://www.tradera.com/en/item/1001...o-245-85-b200k

https://www.tradera.com/en/item/1001...4603/volvo-945

A couple of possible out of the whole 29 Volvos i found listed on there. First is a rather tin-worm chewed 245 in need of a new drivers floorpan plus other electric-glue type repairs and the 945 doesn't seem that much better in all honesty although the tin-worm isn't so obvious.

Given the cost and evident rot on the 245, i'd suggest somewhere like Spain, Italy or similar would be better for a LHD model or find a half decent RHD in the UK (or maybe a LHD from someone who has done similar before) and not have to worry about the costs of repatriating it to the UK, subsequent registration costs and so on. That would pay for a lot of repairs/upgrades/improvements to get it how the OP wants it.
I'm not sure those prices are all that different from the UK are they? £500 for a rust bucket 245, £1200 for a rough 940. After trailering back to the UK, first registration and so on I really can't see there is any margin in importing a LHD car.

PS. This is becoming a sizeable thread that has been off on a few interesting tangents - it is a pity the OP has not stayed around to read it :-)
Old May 2nd, 2021, 14:07   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm not sure those prices are all that different from the UK are they? £500 for a rust bucket 245, £1200 for a rough 940. After trailering back to the UK, first registration and so on I really can't see there is any margin in importing a LHD car.

PS. This is becoming a sizeable thread that has been off on a few interesting tangents - it is a pity the OP has not stayed around to read it :-)
Exactly what i was thinking on both counts Alan, surprised he hasn't commented further on here, he was last on the forum on 29th April :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/member.php?u=206732

Maybe he hasn't got his notifications set up to give instant email notification to threads he starts and/or is subscribed to?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2021, 14:15   #24
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Maybe he hasn't got his notifications set up to give instant email notification to threads he starts and/or is subscribed to?
... I don't do that either Dave: the RB thread would have filled my inbox a long time ago!
Old May 2nd, 2021, 14:28   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... I don't do that either Dave: the RB thread would have filled my inbox a long time ago!
I have filters and folders set up Alan so the emails from the various fora i'm on go into the folders directly and i read them from there and leave them where they are for reference later. Keeps my Inbox clear (except for one forum i moderate on which i move on a daily basis from Inbox to the relevant folder) for other things.

Even deleting the notification emails once you've read the post would work and to help prevent that, this forum only sends notifications on the first reply to the thread until you revisit the thread.

Saves having to keep checking on the forum to see if there's been any replies, leaving you free to get on with other things. :thumbs-up:

Old May 3rd, 2021, 08:16   #26
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Exactly what i was thinking on both counts Alan, surprised he hasn't commented further on here, he was last on the forum on 29th April :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/member.php?u=206732

That is a useful link Dave, I didn't know it was possible to look people up like that (one learns something new every day).

When I followed the link I noticed Venomtail had dropped in again yesterday, but not left a post. Maybe he/she has changed his mind about a 245? Maybe he/she didn't like the advice?

Alan
Old May 3rd, 2021, 10:28   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That is a useful link Dave, I didn't know it was possible to look people up like that (one learns something new every day).

When I followed the link I noticed Venomtail had dropped in again yesterday, but not left a post. Maybe he/she has changed his mind about a 245? Maybe he/she didn't like the advice?

Alan
He/she has problems with a later Volvo misfiring on one cylinder Alan. Couldn't think why the screen name was familiar.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304430

I think those problems are the main focus at the moment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2021, 10:57   #28
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
He/she has problems with a later Volvo misfiring on one cylinder Alan. Couldn't think why the screen name was familiar.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304430

I think those problems are the main focus at the moment.
Ah. I hope he/she comes back to have a look at 240s.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 11:02   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Ah. I hope he/she comes back to have a look at 240s.
Time will tell! They are at least more reliable than the modern stuff!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2021, 11:33   #30
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Time will tell! They are at least more reliable than the modern stuff!
And far less complex to sort out if ever they do go wrong ... J.