Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

very slight hunting after fuel filter change

Views : 521

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2021, 23:38   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default very slight hunting after fuel filter change

2015 MY V70 D5 Manual. 50k
Today I changed all 4 service filters - oil ; air ; cabin ; and fuel. All appeared to go well. After changing the filters I started the car, which seeing as a new diesel filter had been fitted took a little longer to fire up. Happy things were OK I got the lappy to reset the service reminder; but decided to take the car off the ramps first. The car needed to be turned over for some 10+ seconds again before it would fire up. When it did I thought I could hear a very small change in the revs up and down. I was not sure at first, the way you deny anythings wrong in the hope its not there, but there was a slightest of wrong idle. Vida reported no current issues, but had one or two yellow alerts going back to early April, but nothing that would ( I think) cause the problem.
In "delivery" I read then cleared the "faults" and the car then gave a cough of sorts and returned back to its normal metronomic type idle. I suspect the idle was fuel filter related, but without the Dice to sort the idle I would have been stuck.
Has this ever happened to anyone else..??
What do you think was the cause??

I'll keep an ear to it over the next couple of days and if it returns I'll report back.

Cheers
Bob.

Edit : All filters were genuine Volvo incl. engine oil.

Last edited by 100K+; Apr 20th, 2021 at 23:44.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 23:59   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Did you prime the filter and housing Bob?
They can be a real sod to start and quite temperamental if you fit the filter dry and the housing empty.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 09:07   #3
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Did you prime the filter and housing Bob?
They can be a real sod to start and quite temperamental if you fit the filter dry and the housing empty.

Opps Scotties....( you have to be a certain age )

That said, this will be the second time I've changed the diesel filter and I don't remember this problem before. Other than a snapped rear spring this car has been remarkably issue free.

I assume you mean by "prime" you mean add diesel to the housing cup and filter spine ( something vida neglected to advise) before reassembly.??

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 21:16   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

On the P3 shape Volvo's, you don't have to add diesel to the filter housing. This is how I do it & I've never had any issues;

-Fit the filter as you normally would (no need to add diesel to the filter housing on these newer models).

-Get inside the car & put the key in the ignition slot.

-Press & hold the start/stop button so the lights on the dash illuminate (don't put your foot on the brake).

-You'll hear the fuel priming into the filter.

-Turn the ignition off when your hear the fuel pump stop buzzing.

-Repeat the above process 3/4 times (keeping your foot off the brake).

-Only put your foot on the brake when you want to start the car (when the above has been done 3/4 times).

You can add diesel to the filter if you want to save doing the above, but this is an alternative that works.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 21st, 2021 at 21:22.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 10:20   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
On the P3 shape Volvo's, you don't have to add diesel to the filter housing.
True but you will have (hopefully) a jug of diesel from draining the filter housing before the swap so you may as well put that to good use to prime the filter and housing to speed up the starting process.
https://youtu.be/Zb8dtjhmjv8
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 23:59   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
True but you will have (hopefully) a jug of diesel from draining the filter housing before the swap so you may as well put that to good use to prime the filter and housing to speed up the starting process.
https://youtu.be/Zb8dtjhmjv8
Fair point. However, if the fuel filter hasn't been changed for a while, I wouldn't think the fuel held in the housing would be particularly clean. So that means you'd be reusing fuel that's been through an old/dirty filter & putting it back into the housing with a brand new filter.

I'd much prefer to fit a new filter dry, then cycle the ignition a few times (not pressing the brake pedal in the P3 models) & let the fuel pump fill the filter housing with diesel from the tank. Then I'm not reusing fuel that's already gone through an old/dirty filter in the brand new one I've just fitted.

Each to their own though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: