Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£4k 1999 t5

Views : 2238

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2021, 15:38   #31
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR View Post
Not a bit.
I'm laughing my head off at some of the expert spouting...and the stating of the bloody obvious....

Its like when you are a bit lost and you stop someone for directions. Never will you get 'nope, sorry, ask someone else' instead you get the village idiot who umms and arr's and gazes at the sky as they have a bash at 'helping you out....'
If you are a trader you will get a lot further educating people than coming onto the Volvo owners forum and mocking people.

I am open to hearing why a cars background makes it worth something however not from someone that just wants to take the pee.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 16:50   #32
XCR
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
If you are a trader you will get a lot further educating people than coming onto the Volvo owners forum and mocking people.

I am open to hearing why a cars background makes it worth something however not from someone that just wants to take the pee.
1. I'm not.

2. Its hard not to when the hard of thinking espouse their advice.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 16:59   #33
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
1. I'm not.

2. Its hard not to when the hard of thinking espouse their advice.
Fair enough,

Let’s agree to disagree and go out own seperate ways 🙂

Best Regards
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 19:56   #34
andrewc1267
Master Member

Default Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesdc View Post
Seen this on the bay...

£4K, 213k. Seems very well looked after given the history files - previously owned by a couple forum members and LPG converted which is cool.

A good buy? How much would you pay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-Volv....m46890.l49286
I have a 1999 v70r I'm glad that these cars are going up in value they are not exactly the cheapest car to run or maintain I think good ones should be demanding a decent price now the 850s have been going up in value now is the time for the v70
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewc1267 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 19:57   #35
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesdc View Post
Yeah just looked. Guy selling it now isn’t the same guy. Fella who bought it for £500 and sold it for ~£3k must be laughing...

Annoying thing is I still want to own it

Talk me down!!
If you like it and are prepared to pay what is asked then buy it and enjoy it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewc1267 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 20:14   #36
XCR
Master Member

Certainly (to XC90 Mk1)

I chatted with the OP yesterday and gave him a frank appraisal of the car I sold.
Hopefully he will buy it and it will receive the same level of excellent care its been accustomed to and it will continue to look and drive beautifully for many years yet...
The alternative for our cars is that they're picked up cheap by some fool who will abuse, neglect and ultimately scrap it...is that really what we want ?
Mine by the way was a genuine reason to sell. An XC70 came up with great spec at a great price...a Christmas bargain ! Unable to keep two big Volvo's and planning to tour Europe with dog/family/bikes etc when this farce is over, I had a difficult decision to make.
The current owner was very keen but as I understand it, has a very good reason to sell. The chap I bought it from owned it for 8 years, spent a very well considered small fortune and is a member here. Only selling to buy a much newer Volvo, he was visibly upset when selling.
It is an excellent car that I would buy back in a heartbeat if circumstances allow. I've requested first refusal in the future if James ultimately buys it...
All of the naysayers here have clearly not had the benefit of the knowledge of this cars extensive maintenance record, so I can appreciate where some of you are coming from.
However, whether some of you like it or not, the value of these cars is gaining traction.

Those with scabby, unloved examples will always wish to pull anyone down knowing theirs have one foot in the grave but, the considerate diligent owner will reap the rewards when time to sell. You know who you are.
Bitterness though is a very destructive emotion.
Lets all try to be a little more supportive and encouraging.

And I didn't buy it for £500 !

I did spend £1500 in the first few weeks of ownership though.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 20:48   #37
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Certainly (to XC90 Mk1)

I chatted with the OP yesterday and gave him a frank appraisal of the car I sold.
Hopefully he will buy it and it will receive the same level of excellent care its been accustomed to and it will continue to look and drive beautifully for many years yet...
The alternative for our cars is that they're picked up cheap by some fool who will abuse, neglect and ultimately scrap it...is that really what we want ?
Mine by the way was a genuine reason to sell. An XC70 came up with great spec at a great price...a Christmas bargain ! Unable to keep two big Volvo's and planning to tour Europe with dog/family/bikes etc when this farce is over, I had a difficult decision to make.
The current owner was very keen but as I understand it, has a very good reason to sell. The chap I bought it from owned it for 8 years, spent a very well considered small fortune and is a member here. Only selling to buy a much newer Volvo, he was visibly upset when selling.
It is an excellent car that I would buy back in a heartbeat if circumstances allow. I've requested first refusal in the future if James ultimately buys it...
All of the naysayers here have clearly not had the benefit of the knowledge of this cars extensive maintenance record, so I can appreciate where some of you are coming from.
However, whether some of you like it or not, the value of these cars is gaining traction.

Those with scabby, unloved examples will always wish to pull anyone down knowing theirs have one foot in the grave but, the considerate diligent owner will reap the rewards when time to sell. You know who you are.
Bitterness though is a very destructive emotion.
Lets all try to be a little more supportive and encouraging.

And I didn't buy it for £500 !

I did spend £1500 in the first few weeks of ownership though.
Totally agree as in my previous post I think that these cars should be going up in value they are becoming rare for decent ones and they do cost a small fortune to maintain and are not the most economical car you will ever own when I look back at some of the cars I have owned in the past if I still had a couple of them they would pay my mortgage of hopefully as the unloved ones get scrapped the good ones will continue to go up in value
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewc1267 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 22:23   #38
griston64
Premier Member

Still not worth 4k !!

To XCR... If it was a keeper ( as you put it ) in Nov last year, why didn't you keep it ??

Also if the " first offer of £500 takes it " ( as quoted by Jimbob ) why did you pay more ??

Did you spend £1500 just getting the wheels refurbed and painting the bumper ? As the previous owner put the stainless exhaust on it and it already had the LPG system fitted.

Just curious ?????
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 23:06   #39
XCR
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Still not worth 4k !!

To XCR... If it was a keeper ( as you put it ) in Nov last year, why didn't you keep it ??

Also if the " first offer of £500 takes it " ( as quoted by Jimbob ) why did you pay more ??

Did you spend £1500 just getting the wheels refurbed and painting the bumper ? As the previous owner put the stainless exhaust on it and it already had the LPG system fitted.

Just curious ?????
I'm not letting this kind of post go unchallenged, I think you want to wind in your neck buddy.

1. You've evidently not bothered to read a couple of posts back to see why I sold it.
(When you bother to do so, pop back and give us the thumbs up, theres a good lad....)

2. Yes, yes....of course I insisted on giving him more than the asking price !
As you do.
Get real.....
At the time I wasn't responding to James' post when I enquired on the car....I hadn't even read it. I knew nothing of the '£500' (I wish I had )....I simply went along and offered what I thought it was worth. He accepted. I was happy and so was he. End of.

3. This though....just what are you trying to say here ?
I had discs and pads up front plus both hub bearings. A full bare metal bonnet respray along with the bumper off, repaired and painted. Properly.
A big service, new fog lights...bits...bobs...you know ?
Oh, and four new tyres and the alloys dipped, stripped, X-Rayed and powder coated. Properly. Yup, the LPG and Exhaust was already fitted...what are you implying ?

Perhaps you'll now be man enough to apologise for the rubbish you spouted ???
You are right though, you are more than a little 'curious'.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 23:37   #40
andrewc1267
Master Member

Default I think it's a good thing these are becoming valueble

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Still not worth 4k !!

Just curious ?????
I would want at least 4k for my v70r when I come to sell it and it will sell for every penny it is worth and someone will get a great usable reliable classic car that in all models are becoming rare