Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 244 50th Anniversary edition

Views : 734

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 14:24   #1
Brandino

Default Volvo 244 50th Anniversary edition

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the Volvo community but I have recently acquired a 1977 Volvo 244 50th anniversary edition, after some research I discovered that only 500 of these cars were ever produced. Any idea how much one of these cars sell for?
Thank you
Brandino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 16:46   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandino View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the Volvo community but I have recently acquired a 1977 Volvo 244 50th anniversary edition, after some research I discovered that only 500 of these cars were ever produced. Any idea how much one of these cars sell for?
Thank you
Good afternoon, 'Brandino'; the short answer is whatever someone is prepared to pay for one.

Without considerably more information about the car, I doubt anyone will be able to give you a definitive figure. At best, they will quote a range; my own estimate would be anything between £500 and £5,000, possibly slightly more for an exceptional car, but others may disagree.

To suggest any meaningful figure, people will need to know as a minimum the car's condition (mechanical and structural), MOT status and service history. Good quality photographs of it are always helpful when assessing both it's saleability and potential value in the market-place.

Probably not the answer that you are looking for, but nevertheless I hope it helps.

Regards, John.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 06:58   #3
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Good afternoon, 'Brandino'; the short answer is whatever someone is prepared to pay for one.

Without considerably more information about the car, I doubt anyone will be able to give you a definitive figure. At best, they will quote a range; my own estimate would be anything between £500 and £5,000, possibly slightly more for an exceptional car, but others may disagree.

To suggest any meaningful figure, people will need to know as a minimum the car's condition (mechanical and structural), MOT status and service history. Good quality photographs of it are always helpful when assessing both it's saleability and potential value in the market-place.

Probably not the answer that you are looking for, but nevertheless I hope it helps.

Regards, John.
Good morn John,

I wonder whether that was the first and last time we hear from Brandino? I hope not because his car might be quite interesting, but I suspect it is just an old car he has found and wants to make a quick bob out of it.

I hope I'm wrong and Brandino returns to share his motor car's story.

Alan
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 09:20   #4
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Good morn John,

I wonder whether that was the first and last time we hear from Brandino? I hope not because his car might be quite interesting, but I suspect it is just an old car he has found and wants to make a quick bob out of it.

I hope I'm wrong and Brandino returns to share his motor car's story.

Alan
Yes, Alan. That did cross my mind when I saw the one recently advertised discussed elsewhere.

Regarding that one, I must admit to being surprised at how much of a premium a simple 'special edition' can carry. But then, people turned their humble Morris 1000s into look-a-like 1,000,000s back in the day, so it must count for something!!

C'est la vie!

Regards, John.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 10:13   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

But the "special" extras in this case were at least good quality.

Special steering wheel with an inset brass badge and blue real enamel lettering.
2 brass plaques on the front wings, where the flasher repeaters now go.
Blue plush seats, carpets and door cards.
Silver inscribed key fob - chunky, feels real.

All the goodies are a lot nicer than the shoddy later special extras, like stick-on tape zebra stripes of the Torslanda, and a special lower power engine.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 11:17   #6
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, Alan. That did cross my mind when I saw the one recently advertised discussed elsewhere.

Regarding that one, I must admit to being surprised at how much of a premium a simple 'special edition' can carry. But then, people turned their humble Morris 1000s into look-a-like 1,000,000s back in the day, so it must count for something!!

C'est la vie!

Regards, John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post

Special steering wheel with an inset brass badge and blue real enamel lettering.

All the goodies are a lot nicer than the shoddy later special extras, like stick-on tape zebra stripes of the Torslanda, and a special lower power engine.
Well chaps, let's hope Brandino gets back to us with some news of that special car - although I rather suspect we will not hear any more.

:-(

Alan
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 11:27   #7
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post

That is true, Clifford, but, while they may render the car more saleable, do they really add £1000+ to the price of an otherwise similar, but non special edition, example?

While I'm not absolutely sure, I don't think that all of those 'goodies' were exclusive to the Thor either. My 1983 (Y) 245 GLT, which admittedly started life as a special order Embassy car, had the same blue plush upholstery (which I incidentally much preferred to the 'buttoned' leather alternative), carpets and door cards.

It also had very similar, if not identical wheels (the centre caps of which were 'nicked' when we were on holiday in Norway once - ) and was additionally fitted with air conditioning *and supplementary gauges. The Thor may be desirable, but as an example of the breed is it any different to many other 240s?

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Apr 8th, 2021 at 13:59. Reason: Add extra info *.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 11:31   #8
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Quote:
But then, people turned their humble Morris 1000s into look-a-like 1,000,000s back in the day, so it must count for something!!
True. If you forgot about the lilac paint, all you needed were the zeroes off a spare badge and some epoxy.

Or you could go the other way with a small file. I once had someone who was curious about my 'special' Minor. He'd never seen a "Morris 100" before.

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 14:47   #9
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
That is true, Clifford, but, while they may render the car more saleable, do they really add £1000+ to the price of an otherwise similar, but non special edition, example?
Very few features actually add anything to the real value of a car - it goes from A to B, what more do you need?

But the market value is related purely to what someone will pay, irrespective of any intrinsic value at all.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1977, 244, 50th, anniversary, special edition