Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1st Service due and Covid

Views : 1825

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2021, 16:22   #11
amadan

I’m just off the phone with my supplying dealer (about 15 miles further away than my local dealer but I’d still rather deal with them).

In Scotland so might be different but I have an issue with my charge socket not always letting go of the charger which is a bit of an issue on a tethered wall charger. Plus the mirrors aren’t alway unfolding.

They’ve made a courtesy car available overnight so they will take my car on one day and hand my car back the following. Unfortunately collect and return isn't available.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 16:43   #12
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadan View Post
I’m just off the phone with my supplying dealer (about 15 miles further away than my local dealer but I’d still rather deal with them).

In Scotland so might be different but I have an issue with my charge socket not always letting go of the charger which is a bit of an issue on a tethered wall charger. Plus the mirrors aren’t alway unfolding.

They’ve made a courtesy car available overnight so they will take my car on one day and hand my car back the following. Unfortunately collect and return isn't available.
The securing pin for the plug just needs a touch of lubrication. Either that or just gently push the plug into the car before then removing the plug. You can normally do that and hear the pin pop out. It is a bit like on some household doors you have to push the door more tightly into the frame to take off the pressure to be able to undo the lock.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5; 2016 XC90 T8
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 16:52   #13
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
What about collect and return, then air the car before using again?
Yep, collect and return and if you really want to be careful, leave 72 hours before using as consensus seems to be that the virus only lives for up to 72 hours on hard surfaces.

Lets be honest, collect and return got to be better than trying to find the local dealer in Watford .....I'm not a local and its my nearest dealer, went off buying Volvo by time I found it!
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 20:38   #14
key76

Mine is exactly same. 1st service due end of Jan and 4200 on clock!

I am booked in to local dealer, but cannot wait. Getting wife to follow me there and then she can drive us home until it's time to collect.

I'll be doing as mentioned and driving home with all windows down and mask/gloves on. I'm OCD anyway and usually clean it within an inch of it's life when someone else has been in, so will be taking even more care in the current climate. But needs must, so got to just get on with it.
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 21:47   #15
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post
Mine is exactly same. 1st service due end of Jan and 4200 on clock!

I am booked in to local dealer, but cannot wait. Getting wife to follow me there and then she can drive us home until it's time to collect.

I'll be doing as mentioned and driving home with all windows down and mask/gloves on. I'm OCD anyway and usually clean it within an inch of it's life when someone else has been in, so will be taking even more care in the current climate. But needs must, so got to just get on with it.
I've actually made exactly the same decision only I will have to use a courtesy car. The person i was talking to seemed quite proud that she could offer a like for like car. In a light hearted way I replied that any car that had 4 wheels and worked would be OK
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 21:57   #16
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
Yep, collect and return and if you really want to be careful, leave 72 hours before using as consensus seems to be that the virus only lives for up to 72 hours on hard surfaces.

Lets be honest, collect and return got to be better than trying to find the local dealer in Watford .....I'm not a local and its my nearest dealer, went off buying Volvo by time I found it!
I know how you feel. That franchise has Volvo pretty much sewn up around Watford. Their Hyundai chain is not much better. Frankly I'm only going back to them because following their being 'economical with the truth' I extracted a 'free' service out of them.
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 22:01   #17
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I had mine serviced when we were all in Tiers & the dealer I used had good protocols in place.

My car dropped at dealer, keys were sanitised before the mechanic masked & gloved took it in for service. I was given an S90 as a courtesy car, all of the hard surfaces in it had that slightly tacky/sticky feel that you get from sanitiser sprays Keys were in a sealed plastic bag but were removed & sanitised before being handed to me.

collection of my car was the same process but with my car instead of the courtesy car.

Also noted the courtesy car had a bottle of hand sanitizer in it to use & I also had a small bottle of sanitizer in my car in the centre console on collection.

No worries about catching Covid from the dealers & thinking logically the sales side is closed so the only people visiting will be booked for work so footfall within the dealer will be far less than your supermarket, take-away or other retail outlet.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 20:49   #18
destone

I described my Covid-19 edition "experience" at https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...5&postcount=12 but apparently not everyone shared my concerns. In case you wonder, I never heard back from either Volvo UK or the branch.
destone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 16:39   #19
key76

Had 1st service done on Friday. I had just over 4200 on the car.

Have a service plan (free from supplying dealer to make up for delivery issues when I bought the car) so can't comment on pricing.

Service was fine though. Arrived 15 mins early and went to drop keys. All the expected precautions in the dealer, but was surprised to see staff indoors not wearing masks (although they were behind plastic screens).

My wife had followed me in her car so I could sit outside and wait as they said it would only be 1 - 1.5 hours and I didn't think you'd be able to wait inside. As it happens I could have waited inside if I wanted to (but to be honest I was happier sat in my wife's car and we went to McDonald's for breakfast while we waited ).

Car was done almost bang on time (slightly early in fact).

I was waiting in car park so saw my car being parked up by the car cleaner (car had been cleaned inside and out). He had mask and gloves and gave it a quick wipe out when he got out. Bit surprised he left car unlocked as he then walked back inside - good job we were there to keep an eye on it.

Went in to collect key and it was a very fast process - took maybe only a minute or two as I was the only person there. Key was not cleaned before being given back as I expected (they cleaned it with a Dettol wipe when I handed it over on arriving).

Being overly OCD anyway I cleaned the car within an inch of it's life before I left the dealer. Cleaned everything which may have been touched with Dettol, and then again with mild soapy water (took it with me in a bottle) to be sure it was all clean (and to remove any residual Dettol in case it was bad for the surfaces). I then drove home via motorway with all 4 windows down to air the car out.

Overall a good experience under the circumstances.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to key76 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 20:10   #20
xsaab
Master Member

I had my car serviced last October - 1 year old, about 3k miles.
It is a pity that the oil with a life capability of 20k miles but only used for a few k miles cannot be reused or given an extended life and so reduce the servicing costs.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote