Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car not driven for long time

Views : 988

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2020, 07:39   #1
JC888

Default Car not driven for long time

Due to the lockdown I am working from home so rarely drive the car. Probably only a few miles a month.

I charge up the battery from time to time, according to my app the car goes into "Sleep" mode so just wanted to make sure the battery is not dead.

Is there anything else that I need to be aware of? Do I need to start the car from time to time and just leave it running?
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 09:36   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

If you can do not apply the handbrake or it will rust and seize making it difficult to move.
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 10:44   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I would run it once a month for about 10 miles to get is properly warm and the brakes free of corrosion. If you store it in a dry garage then maybe do that every 3 months. I'd also give the battery an overnight charge once a month too.

.....and what he said ^^^^^^^^^
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 11:23   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC888 View Post
Due to the lockdown I am working from home so rarely drive the car. Probably only a few miles a month.

I charge up the battery from time to time, according to my app the car goes into "Sleep" mode so just wanted to make sure the battery is not dead.

Is there anything else that I need to be aware of? Do I need to start the car from time to time and just leave it running?
Regarding the battery , Volvos official recommendation is that the Battery must be charged every TWO WEEKS to keep it in top condition . If neglected you will need to charge it for 48 hours or more to de-sulphate it .
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 13:06   #5
JC888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
If you can do not apply the handbrake or it will rust and seize making it difficult to move.
Good point about the handbrake. It's electronic but I'm sure I'll find a way to disable it temporarily.
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 13:07   #6
JC888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I would run it once a month for about 10 miles to get is properly warm and the brakes free of corrosion. If you store it in a dry garage then maybe do that every 3 months. I'd also give the battery an overnight charge once a month too.

.....and what he said ^^^^^^^^^
It's stored on the drive unfortunately as too big to fit in the garage

I do drive about 10 miles a month but as I have access to another workhorse and WFH mostly, the Volvo doesn't get driven too much.

I suppose on the flipside it's a blessing as I'm keeping the miles low. Things will probably change in a month or two when I'm back in the office (80 miles daily!)
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 13:08   #7
JC888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Regarding the battery , Volvos official recommendation is that the Battery must be charged every TWO WEEKS to keep it in top condition . If neglected you will need to charge it for 48 hours or more to de-sulphate it .
Ok, I do not realise this. I will ensure I keep to this schedule.

Mine is not a hybrid by the way, just plain old derv.
I've had cars sat dormant before which I use a CTEK battery conditioner every few weeks or so to top up. Never heard about the need to de-sulphate though.

Last edited by JC888; Dec 15th, 2020 at 13:11.
JC888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 07:48   #8
key76

I am in the same boat and only done 4k since February, and 2k of that was a holiday we took in September. I have been trying to take mine on a 10-20 mile motorway run every couple of weeks to keep everything moving and charged up.

I’m getting into the office maybe once a month, so go the ling way via motorway there and back to give it a run.

I’m expecting to be home-based most of the time now so this will be my routine for a long time I think.

Does a good job of keeping the miles low though at least. My last car had significant excess mileage and I had to hand back due to negative equity so got stuck with a bill! I wonder if low mileage will help equity at end of term or whether there will be a ton of cars in the same position so it won’t have much impact on residuals.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 07:58   #9
JC888

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post
I am in the same boat and only done 4k since February, and 2k of that was a holiday we took in September. I have been trying to take mine on a 10-20 mile motorway run every couple of weeks to keep everything moving and charged up.

I’m getting into the office maybe once a month, so go the ling way via motorway there and back to give it a run.

I’m expecting to be home-based most of the time now so this will be my routine for a long time I think.

Does a good job of keeping the miles low though at least. My last car had significant excess mileage and I had to hand back due to negative equity so got stuck with a bill! I wonder if low mileage will help equity at end of term or whether there will be a ton of cars in the same position so it won’t have much impact on residuals.
Lucky you to be able to be home based. My company is/was a strict no home working company but the pandemic changed their perception. Productivity is the same if not higher for most that could WFH. However they are following gov guidelines and most probably would want everyone back next year. Oh well.

Low miles certainly would help equity. I bought mine outright but would normally get another once I hit about 80k miles or so. Because of WFH I estimated that this had extended the need for that by at 8 months.

If only I can get my contract amended to allow WFH, I would get something smaller, and sportier Anyway, I digress...