Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hooking up my stereo

Views : 861

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 19:22   #1
StarmanDXE

Hey.
I just got my stereo for my car from UPS, and I would like to hook it up, but I'd like to get a little advice, first.
I already have a wiring harness for my car that's all nice and labeled and such. So, do I just twist those wires together with the ones that hook into the stereo and cover the connections with electrical tape or what?
Also, what exactly should I do with the ground cable? The wiring harness does have a ground cable, but the installation instructions say to hook the ground up to any metal part of the car chasis. So, what should I do?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 21:45   #2
S_Lock

Hi,
Id recommend using either solder or bullet type connectors if your set has bare ends! (bullets are available from Halfords etc)
If the stereo has two block style connectors on it you need to get a Volvo to ISO adapter lead (again from somewhere like Halfords at about £12) then just plug em together (this way is much neater)
As for the ground lead connect it to the harnesses ground as it will eventually go down to the chassis anyway!!!!!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 00:32   #3
StarmanDXE

Well, I decided upon simply twisting and taping, and it worked fine. Also, with the stock radio, I was getting realy awful interference on some AM stations, and I read that this is sometimes caused by a ground wire that is connected to too many other things. So, I decided just to connect it straight to the chassis in the hopes that that will go away. If the ground falls loose (which I don't suspect it will since I taped it pretty well), what will happen? Will the stereo just not turn on?
Only problem with the stereo, though, is that the mounting is pretty loose. I mean, it doesn't feel like it's going to fall out or anything, but it rocks back and forth a little. Otherwise, it looks and sounds awsome. Now, I've just got to get a replacement magnet so I can fix the front dash driver's side tweeter.
Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 07:58   #4
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Default RE: Hooking up my stereo

Hi,

like S Lock i advice AGAINST just twisting the wires together (but its your choice).

As for the not very solid mounting, have you pushed the securing tabs down of the mounting cage?

if the ground wire does come off the radio will still work, as it also earths though the aerial lead. This is also not a recommended practise & may cause damage if you use the radio for a long period of time.
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 01:15   #5
StarmanDXE

Alright. I'll seriously consider soldering (shouldn't be too dificult). Yeah, I pushed the tabs out, but they aren't really the right size to grip the holes on the sides and there isn't anything for them to grip on the top or bottom. Maybe I'll be able to put some screws in that will help it become more secure.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 08:28   #6
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Hi,

is it the actual cage thats lose, or is it the radio not locking into it correctly (has it got the correct cage?).

if it is the cage it won't hurt to put a couple of screws though the cage into the dash as you suggest (make sure you screw them in well so it doesn't foul the radio when you try to slide it in)
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 15:39   #7
StarmanDXE

It's the cage that's loose, and it came with the stereo. So, the stereo fits nicely into it.
Alright. While I'm hooking up the wires to the back of it so I can attach my MP3 player, I'll solder the wires and try putting some screws in there.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 18:21   #8
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

it may seem alot of hassle, but theres less chance of it going wrong & destroying the radio, or even the car going up in flames.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 02:45   #9
StarmanDXE

>it may seem alot of hassle, but theres less chance of it
>going wrong & destroying the radio, or even the car going up
>in flames.

Eh?