Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strange droning noise

Views : 845

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 21:58   #1
Matt_Watkins

Ive had my S70 T5 auto for just over a week now and over the past few days Ive noticed a strange droning noise at any speed over 40 mph. It sounds like one of the wheel bearings and to be sure Ive jacked the car up and checked for any play in the wheels as I have done with various other cars. No abnormal play found with the wheels.

The noise dosnt get louder or change pitch with speed it just stays constant. An other suggestion made to me was, as these cars have a drum for the hand brake, It is possible that the had brake is too tight and could be vibrating in the drum.

Any help on the matter would be appreceated as I believe taht you cant just change the rear bearings without replacing mos of the hub

Cheers

Matt
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 17:04   #2
liuleichan
Premier Member

Default RE: Strange droning noise

>Ive had my S70 T5 auto for just over a week now and over the
>past few days Ive noticed a strange droning noise at any speed
>over 40 mph. It sounds like one of the wheel bearings and to
>be sure Ive jacked the car up and checked for any play in the
>wheels as I have done with various other cars. No abnormal
>play found with the wheels.
>
>The noise dosnt get louder or change pitch with speed it just
>stays constant. An other suggestion made to me was, as these
>cars have a drum for the hand brake, It is possible that the
>had brake is too tight and could be vibrating in the drum.
>
>Any help on the matter would be appreceated as I believe taht
>you cant just change the rear bearings without replacing mos
>of the hub

Is the noise not particularly loud, and cyclical?

If so, I've always had (since I've owned my 98 S70 in 2001) a faint, droning noise at these sort of speeds and upwards - a sort of faint cyclical droning noise. Mines an auto, too - although not a T5. I notice it faintly in the background, as I do a lot of motorway miles on cruise.

From comments I've read elsewhere, I did here vague reference to gearbox output shafts - but as mines done it since I've owned it, and it's never got any worse, and there seems no other problems - nor does it sound particularly nasty, I've always just lived with it - it clearly is nothing imminent.

As an aside, mine's just passed it's 3rd MOT with flying colours - took it to an MOT place that only do MOTs - no other repairs, and they're quite strict by reputation. The chap who did the MOT was quite impressed, no faults or even advisories on the MOT sheet. Emissions were spot on, too. Not bad, considering 135k miles on the clock.

I didn't do anything special to prepare it - just normal servicing, and interim oil changes.

Lei Chan
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 17:21   #3
Matt_Watkins

It sounds like someone blowing over the neck of a bottle. Its not the loudest of noises, just annoying as you could hear a pin drop when cruising at motorway speeds apart from this noise.

Cheers

Matt