Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Instrument Panel Lights Failed. '92 940 2.0L

Views : 5901

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 00:00   #31
trebor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The blue is the earth for the dimmer illumination. Have a look at pg 38 (by document viewer number) of this pdf :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...C842%2Cnull%5D

In other words, the blue has nothing to do with your problem so you can ignore it.

However, if i've understood you correctly, if you take theblack wire directly to earth, the instrument lights work?
Thanks for that PDF - extremely useful indeed!

From looking at the diagram, I can see that the blue wire (which is the output from the brightness controller, or "rheo" as its labelled) comes into the brightness adjuster module to light the internal light for the adjuster itself. This light is dead on my Volvo (perhaps just a blown bulb) so I hadn't considered it. The confusion comes however with the white cable being the other side of the light _and_ the input into the adjuster.

The supply to all the illumination lamps is between white (presumably +12V) and blue. By connecting blue to black (0V) I've effectively shorted out the "rheo".

Now I still don't know where the fault is: the brightness adjuster measured what I would've thought are sensible resistance readings (around 1k Ohm) but these could be out; or it could be that the fault is in the control unit behind the instrument panel.

Without some known-good readings to compare against I'm kind of shooting in the dark here...
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trebor For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 00:50   #32
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
Thanks for that PDF - extremely useful indeed!

From looking at the diagram, I can see that the blue wire (which is the output from the brightness controller, or "rheo" as its labelled) comes into the brightness adjuster module to light the internal light for the adjuster itself. This light is dead on my Volvo (perhaps just a blown bulb) so I hadn't considered it. The confusion comes however with the white cable being the other side of the light _and_ the input into the adjuster.

The supply to all the illumination lamps is between white (presumably +12V) and blue. By connecting blue to black (0V) I've effectively shorted out the "rheo".

Now I still don't know where the fault is: the brightness adjuster measured what I would've thought are sensible resistance readings (around 1k Ohm) but these could be out; or it could be that the fault is in the control unit behind the instrument panel.

Without some known-good readings to compare against I'm kind of shooting in the dark here...
No, the blue wire is NOT the output, it's nothing to do with it! Ignore the blue wire, pretend it doesn't exist!

The output is the green/brown wire from the wiper of the pot. The black wire is the earth from the pot via a resistor between the pot and the black wire.

The +12V feed to the pot is indeed the white wire, again this goes through a resistor to the pot.

There is a blue earth wire coming from the brightness controller (RHEO in the diagram), the +12V feed into the RHEO unit is on another white wire and there is a brown earth wire from the RHEO unit too.

The RHEO unit and the pot share a common earth, 31/10.This is on the drivers kick panel and is what i refer to as an MEP - Multiple Earth Point, look at Pg191 of the pdf to see it. Could be worth cleaning and tightening the connectors on it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 14:04   #33
trebor

Major bad news: my Volvo was hit by a drunk driver and is now a complete write-off! :'(

Luckily nobody was hurt.

So my 10+ years of being a Volvo 940 owner have come to an abrupt end. Probably I'll be on the lookout for another one soon...
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trebor For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 15:00   #34
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Wow that looks awful - glad everyone is ok.

At least you don't have to fix the dashboard now.... small consolation I know!
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 19:54   #35
bluebrickrick

Ouch, that looks some clout Trebor Shame there isn't the same effort put into taking the incapable off the road as there is collecting speed revenue.

Hope the insurance do the decent thing quickly and you can get a suitable replacement sorted.

Any likelihood of the culprit being caught ?

Rick
bluebrickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluebrickrick For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 20:31   #36
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
Major bad news: my Volvo was hit by a drunk driver and is now a complete write-off! :'(

Luckily nobody was hurt.

So my 10+ years of being a Volvo 940 owner have come to an abrupt end. Probably I'll be on the lookout for another one soon...
Only ONE drunk driver? How did he manage to trash both ends and both sides?

As has already been said, the important thing is nobody was hurt and hopefully the insurance will pay up and look big quickly but don't take a Mickey Mouse settlement! Try replacing a 940 for what you paid for yours 10 years ago and i think you'll need to add more money!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 21:03   #37
Ian21401
Premier Member

Condolences trebor. Ditto to the previous posts. Good luck with finding a replacement.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: