Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 not starting up

Views : 749

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2019, 19:48   #1
iBiri

Question 960 not starting up

Hello from Spain!
My grandfather has a Volvo 960 3.0 automatic and I passed my driving license 1 year ago and I started driving it this january. The car is in perfect state, it only has 94000km! and it has been parked in a garage. But it has a problem. Normally it starts ok, but sometines when I put the key in the car and turned it, all of the interior lights turn off and I have to disconnect and connect the battery to try again. Normally at the sixth time it starts.
Thank you in advance.
PD: Im in love with this car, and I think that Im one of the few teenagers that are in love with this car here in Spain.
iBiri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iBiri For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2019, 05:35   #2
mjk164
VOC Member

Hi iBiri and welcome.
I think your ignition switch is on the way out. My 1993 960 (380,000 miles) had to have a replacement switch about 3 year ago and that cured my start problems and other silly issues associated with poor power supply. You can try checking the battery earths and other earths in the cabin area but I think the switch is the problem as they dont last for ever; they are still available from Volvo agents in the UK.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2019, 09:32   #3
iBiri

Thank you so much! It looks that it could be that. I took it to an unnoficial mechanic and it has been there for a whole month without failing, but when I was going to get it, he phoned me saying that it happened to him and that he was thinking that it could be a sensor of the motor, but my assumption was something like you say. Iīm not very handy with cars, it is a easy repair that anyone could do? Do you have any resources? Thank you so much. If it is difficult I will take it to a volvo official service and got it serviced as it has to go through a inspection.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iBiri For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2019, 11:31   #4
mjk164
VOC Member

When I did mine, I did not think it was that difficult and, when you go into the FAQ on this site, it tells you all you need to know to replace the switch. The switch is in two parts joined together; the key unit and the actual switch with contacts that makes to 12 volts go to the right places.
My advise is to replace the whole switch; it will come with 2 or 3 new keys. (Keep the old key as you will probably need that for doors etc).
You only have to remove the upper part of the steering cowl to get access to the switch removal nuts and bolts.
My advise is to contact Steve or Bob at Braydon motors; have your VIN number ready and they will sort you out with the right unit. Call them on 020 8985 2255. They are part of Sentinal Volvo now and you can also use the number 02033 193538, if you use this number ask to speak to Steve Nichols.
Cheers
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:50   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBiri View Post
Normally it starts ok, but sometines when I put the key in the car and turned it, all of the interior lights turn off and I have to disconnect and connect the battery to try again. Normally at the sixth time it starts.
Hi Biri, just to be clear, when you say interior lights do you mean the warning lights and the courtesy/roof lights as well? If they are going dim too, the problem is probably NOT in the starter switch as Volvo call it.

If it's just the warning lights in the instrument cluster then i'd agree with Garths diagnosis of the starter switch.

Fairly easy to change, remove the cowling round the stering column, locate the starter switch on the back of the ignition barrel, should be two small screws holding the starter switch to the barrel, remove them and then unplug the connector.

Fitting the new one is simply the reverse of this.

If the courtesy/roof lights go dim as well, you need to check all the connections from battery +ve to the starter motor, fusebox, alternator and so on. Would also be worth checking the earth connections too, battery earth, battery to body, battery to engine block/starter motor and indeed the battery itself. I've known a few batteries over the years that have broken internally, most of the time they work but occasionally, they would break the connection and give the impression of a flat battery. Could also be a broken earth wire/cable somewhere as listed above.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2019, 09:57   #6
martin calva

I replaced my ignition switch when my V90 became reluctant to start. [Note: V90 ~= 960]

I obtained it from Skandix.de http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...r-switch/1249/

I found the following Youtube video very helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfihHpz_icw

Good luck
Martin

Last edited by martin calva; May 9th, 2019 at 10:22.
martin calva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martin calva For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2019, 10:21   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Going on the list that Martin posted a link to, i'd strongly suggest contacting either your local Volvo dealer or at least Braydons (as someone further up suggested) to make sure you get the correct one.

I counted at least 4 different starter switches for the 9xx across the 3 pages in the list, all too easy to get the wrong one!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2019, 20:13   #8
iBiri

Hello and thanks everyone!
I went to the unnoficial mechanic to took the car and he said that he changed the temperature sensor of the motor.
All of the lights went off when this happened(including the courtesy lights). I asked my grandfather about this car and he said that once, like ten years ago, when he was entering the garage, all of the car shut down and he couldnīt start it again, the official Volvo mechanic in the end found the problem, it was a cable that made ground and they fixed it. Could this be something similar to what you have said?
In the other hand, now, the motor of the driver seat isnīt working, I have found a video of how to repair it :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sQB-xR1daE. Have anyone solve it like this?
The Following User Says Thank You to iBiri For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2019, 20:31   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBiri View Post
In the other hand, now, the motor of the driver seat isnīt working, I have found a video of how to repair it :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sQB-xR1daE. Have anyone solve it like this?
Check the thermal trips (like fuses) in the top of the fusebox on the end of the dashboard. Then check the switches actually work and you haven't accidentally pressed the red button. Worth checking everything before stripping the seat out.

As for your unofficial mechanic, i think you've found out why he's unofficial!

Tags
960, electrical, start issue