Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My head's beginning to hurt

Views : 1515

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2018, 12:54   #11
Whippy
Premier Member

They have had weather in France, the roads? Butter smooth.
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 14:12   #12
OV4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
I take your point but blaming the weather is no excuse. Poor quality road design and construction, coupled with penny pinching maintenance and repair are the culprits.
With all the technology and material science at our disposal are we really admitting that building a road surface that lasts is beyond us?
I agree that we under-spend on our roads in this country. That’s why I highlighted the very substantial gap between VED / fuel duty reciepts and road spending.

Just that I think that British weather and the relatively crowded road network (road miles / unit of population) means the roads deteriorate faster than they might elsewhere.
OV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 14:17   #13
Grimble
Grimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by OV4 View Post
I agree that we under-spend on our roads in this country. That’s why I highlighted the very substantial gap between VED / fuel duty reciepts and road spending.

Just that I think that British weather and the relatively crowded road network (road miles / unit of population) means the roads deteriorate faster than they might elsewhere.
Agreed they might deteriorate faster. The answer is to build them to a higher standard in the first place, in anticipation of the traffic load and weather.

Might be an idea as well not to run utilities under roads (which idiot thought that one up?), digging up makes the surface weaker, no matter how good the repair. As well as the hazard of manholes, another weak point. You dont see any on motorways, do you?
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 14:28   #14
OV4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
Agreed they might deteriorate faster. The answer is to build them to a higher standard in the first place, in anticipation of the traffic load and weather.

Might be an idea as well not to run utilities under roads (which idiot thought that one up?), digging up makes the surface weaker, no matter how good the repair. As well as the hazard of manholes, another weak point. You dont see any on motorways, do you?
Higher quality road surfaces would be great. It’s almost as though there’s a British mentality that says ‘we can’t make the roads too good or people will enjoy using them’.

I live not far from the south circular - one of London’s major arteries - and I’ve seen better road surfaces on side streets in Middle Eastern towns. It’s a complete joke, and makes bus and cycle travel actively unpleasant. Not so bad in the car as that insulates me better from the worst of the potholes, patches, and ironwork - but aren’t we supposed to be making non-car-travel more appealing (or at least less unappealing)?

Not running utilities under roads would be a good start.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 06:40   #15
green van man
Premier Member

Yesterday on the A487T watched as council wagon pulled up,2 lads got out, spray paint hole, fill with cold tar, drive back wheel of truck over the tar twice, spray repair and move on to the next.

Not a whacker plate, or even a punner or brush in sight. Instant tar can give a durable repair but it needs to be well punned into the hole to have any chance.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 08:54   #16
OV4

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post

Not a whacker plate, or even a punner or brush in sight. Instant tar can give a durable repair but it needs to be well punned into the hole to have any chance.

Quite a few holes have been patched like that on the roads near me. It’s fine for a bit but then the new tar ‘creeps’ over one side of the pothole leaving the road surface uneven.

It’s not so noticeable when I’m driving but it’s unpleasant when I’m cycling.