Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

16v engine power+M46 box

Views : 871

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:16   #1
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

Default 16v engine power+M46 box

How much hp will a B234f, take with a turbo and lower compression pistons
with out changing the block to a late "L" type B230ft/fk?
I know that they have a weaker block , but if I don't go mad with the boost,
would it be Ok ,as it smooth running engine?
I already have a late B230fk rebuillt and a 531 head and "A"cam to go in to our 945, the other option is to swop the heads over using suitable timing belts ect.Or would I be better of saving up and getting and doing up an other
B230 block?
At present my project car(1993 940 2.0l turbo) has a M46 box , which I
would like to change to a M90 one day,but not at the present time ,would a
M90 fit the M46 clutch and flywheel or do I need to have duel mass one?
I also have all the bits off a multilink 1991 960 , including prop fuel tank ect
which my 940 has all the mounting holes for, If I can get hold of sutible
springs/shocks (available in Germany I have been told) ,is this a good move
as it is so long since I have driven an early 960 ,but I think it was better?
Sorry for al the Questons.

Thanks Roger
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 14:29   #2
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Not too sure on the block issue with the 16v's. I've heard both good and bad about the 16v specific block. One thing that people can agree on is that if the 16v block is used the balancer shafts should be removed as they're a weak point.

The M90 will fit with the flywheel, but a diffwerent clutch set up is needed. This thread tells you all you need to know about a M90 clutch/flywheel.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=91602

The Americans seem to think that a M46 will destroy itself with anything over 160bhp, whereas the Europeans have seen way higher power levels with no problems, 1stRaven had approx 240bhp through his and it was still in great shape, so much so it now sees 170ish bhp behind my V6 and is coping with the low down torque just fine. Some of the 360 crowd have upwards of 330bhp running through their M47Rs, which are essentially an M47 laid on its side (the M47 sharing gears 1-4 with the M46). There is/was a chap in London with a turbocharged V6 that had no trouble with 350bhp through his M46. Most people swap to the M90 for the more modern feel as the M46 is a bit agricultural in operation.

As an aside the Uk DeLorean Owners Club have found that every DL they have imported from the US (only 18 RHD models were made so they have to source theirs from abroad) has severe clutch and gearbox issues. Perhaps, therefore, the weakness is not inherent to the M46, but to US driving styles..........

The 960 multilink suspension is superior to the live axle setup, but next to nothing exists to modify it from the standard self-levelling shocks/springs. It's a good base to start from, but custom work will be needed. The live axle is reasonably well catered for by comparison with shorter, stiffer springs, uprated gas shocks, thicker anti-roll bars all being available.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 21:19   #3
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I'd give the 16v block a try. Assuming you're not wanting crazy power, you should be fine, even with the high compression pistons, as long as it's tuned properly. What are you planning to do for fuel/spark management?

Regarding the clutch, you can use a standard M46 clutch plate with an M90, but you'll need an M90 diesel clutch disc. There can also be compatibility problems between some plates and discs, so I'd buy a complete M90 diesel clutch kit.

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 13:03   #4
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

Thanks for the help , I have now cheated a bit as I got my self a new project car,a 1994 940 2.3 turbo GLE ,with a M90 and a B320ft with turbo+ off ebay.
It is in beter condition and colour ,charcoul grey met all for only£227.00
So I will be playing with this one
regards Roger
Old May 2nd, 2007, 23:08   #5
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

flip , 3.2 litres ill have one aswell .

how come i keep missing bargains like that .
Old May 5th, 2007, 14:25   #6
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

well spotted,I wish it was 3.2L
I have got my self a nice 16V head to go on it at some stage ,when I can afford the rest of the bits.
One good thing about getting old is that even with a16V head bigger turbo,and serval other body/break mods it only adds about £90 to £100 to the inshorance (via hiway/the VOC chris knott)
Regards Roger