Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2.0t Fault code, Running Lean on bank 1 Help!

Views : 857

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2017, 20:44   #1
Kaosiow

Default S40 2.0t Fault code, Running Lean on bank 1 Help!

So I've just bought the above car, took for a test drive, all was fine.
Driving home and the car just would not go, juddering on acceleration and the emission light came on. Checked the code and it says, Running Lean on Bank 1, a quick Google hasn't really helped, I've checked the Maf by unplugging it and there's no change.

What should I check next?

Thanks in advance. I'm Kirk by the way 😁
Kaosiow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 20:51   #2
clarkey1984
Premier Member

The first thing that springs to mind to check for would be a vacuum leak or a dodgy o2 sensor, both of those things would give you a lean condition, the bank 1 part doesn't narrow it down with an inline engine as it obviously only has one bank to begin with, fuel pressure regulator or pump could also be a contender, as could dirty injectors as well, as a rule of thumb I always start with the cheapest part that it could be first, I'm from the budget (read cheap b@st@rd) school of motoring haha.

Last edited by clarkey1984; May 20th, 2017 at 20:55.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 21:44   #3
Kaosiow

Going to check the injectors in the morning, and hoses, are there any prone to leaking?
Kaosiow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 13:38   #4
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

I would check plugs and leads first then look at the condition of the plugs when they come out, dirty or wet plugs, from then I would start with the injectors.
Old May 21st, 2017, 14:09   #5
KBB
Master Tech

Get you scan tool in live data and look at STFT. If STFT is showing a positive number at idle but backs off when held steady at 2500 RPM then I would be looking at an air leak.

If the trims are heavily negative at idle but then go quickly positive at part and full load then suspect MAF as a contaminated MAF will over estimate engine load at idle and under estimate it at load. Further test should be done to confirm this out come.

If the above test is good but under engine load the trims go from normal to positive then a weak fuel pump is a possible, further tests including pressure and volumetric flow should be tested next along with an electrical evaluation of current of the supply and ground to eliminate voltage drops.

If the are no movement in any of the STFT or LTFT values and the scanner is indicating open loop, in live data check the Upstream O2 Sensor PID and check for switching, no switching the are further simple tests that can be done such as forced rich and lean testing to confirm O2 sensor functionality.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBB For This Useful Post:

Tags
fault, juddering, lean