Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Damaged by a Hare

Views : 943

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 20:27   #1
DavieC

Default Damaged by a Hare

Folks

I was having a spirited drive home the other day when a hare (bloody big those things) decided to cross the road right in front of me. After giving it the good news I stopped to check the damage. Amazed to see that the front bumper was untouched apart from the lower grille and only a undersheid split.

I got home and had a good look under the car. As I said the bumper was fine but some things got damaged and I ain't to sure what they are for so I am looking for help in identifying the part.

First thing is somesort of cover right under the front bumper and runs the width of the front of the car (It is not the engine tray) and up into the wheelarches. What is this part/no so I can get a new one. Do I need to replace it?

Second there is a foam box sort of thing around the lower part of the rad at the lower bumper opening, this is now hanging down blocking airflow to the rad. Does any one know or can they tell me if this joined up to the lower cover which got split? Again if I remove it, what will happen?

Thirdly the impact has slightly bent the o/s lower part of the radiator. There is no loss of coolant. Should I replace this or just keep an eye on it for a while?

Ideas and thougts please

Davie
DavieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 20:43   #2
s60.i@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieC View Post
Folks

First thing is somesort of cover right under the front bumper and runs the width of the front of the car (It is not the engine tray) and up into the wheelarches. What is this part/no so I can get a new one. Do I need to replace it?

Davie
#6 I think ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v70bits.jpg (107.0 KB, 53 views)
s60.i@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 20:51   #3
DavieC

Thats spot on mate thanks very much.

DavieC
DavieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 21:15   #4
gnhuk
Balding.............

Be thankful it wasn't a Muntjac - bl**dy things are endemic round here and I just know I'm going to hit one eventually (I've had numerous near misses so far...) I did manage to "collect" a Pheasant in the radiator air intake on the way to work one morning (without damage).
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 21:48   #5
s60.i@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnhuk View Post
I did manage to "collect" a Pheasant in the radiator air intake on the way to work one morning (without damage).
To your car or the the pheasant ?
s60.i@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 23:58   #6
wilcoT5

I'll see you a hare and a pheasant and i'll raise you a BADGER!!!! 3 weeks ago late on a friday night traveling on the M627 from Oldham back to Rochdale doing a good 70mph, ran out from central reservation no chance to miss it. £2500 worth of damage thank you very much When the police arrived it was still on the carriage way and took 2 of them to drag it off the road. Apparently the week before a dear had been hit in the same place, i never realised Oldham was so rural!!
wilcoT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 01:57   #7
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

My Dad's Beetle got a flattened front thanks to a deer many years ago..

The bugger just upped and ran off... No change of a free lunch there then!!

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:10   #8
D5 Monkey
Gone and forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieC View Post
Thirdly the impact has slightly bent the o/s lower part of the radiator. There is no loss of coolant. Should I replace this or just keep an eye on it for a while?

Ideas and thougts please

Davie
Be carefull, there may be a Hare-line fracture!!

My Photos on Flickr
D5 Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 09:31   #9
mjm295

My house mate at uni had an 'incident' with 3 horses in an old style mini. The horses were running loose, and ran out from behind a hedge inn to the road. Luckily he had the mrs with him and wasnt hooning it, but still doing about 50

Result:
1st horse escaped with no injury
2nd horse ran in to the side of the car, its nose dented the roof, and there was hair trapped between the rear wheel and tyre. horse ran off
3rd horse was hit on the back end, the arse of the horse 'rolled' up the bonnet and smashed the windscreen. Farmer had to shoot this 1.

Mini was beyond economical repair, but still drove, even with a cracked dizzy cap. lots of arguing and court cases came of this, but the farmer argued the horses were on nation trust land and didnt need to be fanced in........

and

Robin Hood Sub K - 1.8 OHC
www.coventrykitcar.co.uk
mjm295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 09:53   #10
gnhuk
Balding.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by s60.i@n View Post
To your car or the the pheasant ?
Cue the phrase from "The Parrot Sketch" - "It's was an ex......................"
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote