Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water leak into passenger footwell

Views : 13475

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 17:26   #11
Leee

Was told by a Volvo mechanic that some cars have a weakness in that the runners that take the water away are too narrow. The simple solution is a tweak that widens the runners solving the problem. A quick visit to Volvo should help

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulodipoggio View Post
During a fortnight in Scotland after heavy/prolonged rain (and going though some standing water - not floods), I noticed a small puddle on the rubber passenger mat and carpet beneath was soaked.

Suspect water coming from behind dash/glovebox or through the footwell air/heating vent.

Have tried to replicate it with a hose pipe but no success.

No signs of windscreen damage or obvious blockages, but I recall a problem on the old 850's with a vent pipe beneath the air filter becoming blocked and needing a clean occasionally.

Before I start taking bits off the car to find the problem has anyone else had a similar experience or can suggest where to start looking

Its a 57 plate XC90 D5 without a sunroof

Thanks
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leee For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 13:42   #12
dtb80

Default Passenger Footwell

I have the same problem with my 53 XC90.
When it lashed it down the other month I got in the car to find a good 3-4" of water sloshing around the passenger footwell. And it was smelling like a drainpipe on a summers day.
I presumed it must have come up through the floor as everywhere else was dry. (the amount of rain was massive!). I lifted the passenger mat out for it to dry of and was going to get it shampooed. Not liking the sound of 5" of foam soaked underneath.
I've not cleaned the car for a while and can now see 2 "drain" tracks in the muck dripping from the passenger door. First thoughts are it's the seals gone but reading around says it could be the drain from the roof blocked?
Going to have a look at it today before the weather turns again.
dtb80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 15:27   #13
obiwan

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...f-drain-repair

This may help, from swedespeed. was here to check out the pictures of the motor mounts
obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to obiwan For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 12:55   #14
Ollybee

Default Soaking wet footwell

I had similar issue. Soaking wet passenger footwell. Took possible 8 large towels to soak it up but still foam is soaking. Well after reading several online accounts of this problem i set to work. Took windscreen guard off to find drain holes blocked with old leaves and buds. So cleaned all out and added silcon around heater air vent. Fingers crossed thats the end of the water problem... no sunroof so wasnt that issue.
Ollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 13:50   #15
SwissXC90
Premier Member

You would be wise, no matter what make or model, of vehicle, to keep all vents and air inlets clear of foreign matter.

Even if it means clearing away the leaves in Autumn on a daily basis.

An ounce of prevention is worth a few hundred punds and many hours or days of cure.

Should you ever get water ingress then the best thing to do is remove the water immediately, using whatever removal method (sponges, towels, containers) is at your disposal.

And then vent the car, let it sit in the sunshine with all doors open, sun shining on the wet area, any try and dry it out. Over many days.

Drying out a flooded or water-logged vehicle is always a hassle, regardless of make or model. Removing panels and lifitng carpets, running demunidifiers for days on end with the vehicle carpet lifted and exposed in the garage - I've done it. What a pain. Never again.
(and my cause was a rust hole in the water drainage area of the front widscreen on a Mitsubishi Galant)
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 13:56   #16
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulodipoggio View Post
Thanks for your advice but still a mystery
Dry under the carpets as expected as the water appeared on top of a rubber mat
No obvious leaks with a hosepipe spraying all over and under the bonnet
Perhaps it was the angle parked or the volume of water.
Will keep an eye on it in Autumn/winter though
Do you have a sunroof, if so check for blocked or parted drain pipes, they run down the insides of ghe windscreen, remove trim at sides of windscreen to check, there is a thread on here about it somewhere.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 17:14   #17
Ollybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
You would be wise, no matter what make or model, of vehicle, to keep all vents and air inlets clear of foreign matter.

Even if it means clearing away the leaves in Autumn on a daily basis.

An ounce of prevention is worth a few hundred punds and many hours or days of cure.

Should you ever get water ingress then the best thing to do is remove the water immediately, using whatever removal method (sponges, towels, containers) is at your disposal.

And then vent the car, let it sit in the sunshine with all doors open, sun shining on the wet area, any try and dry it out. Over many days.

Drying out a flooded or water-logged vehicle is always a hassle, regardless of make or model. Removing panels and lifitng carpets, running demunidifiers for days on end with the vehicle carpet lifted and exposed in the garage - I've done it. What a pain. Never again.
(and my cause was a rust hole in the water drainage area of the front widscreen on a Mitsubishi Galant)
Tell me about it. Unfortuanetly its minus 1 today so drying of carpets and sponge is going to have to wait till i get a sunny and breezy day... I'll just have to live with the damp smell until then.
Ollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 15:48   #18
VOLVOVI

Just new to this forum so hope this appears in the right place. I know nothing about car mechanics. I have a 2007 Volvo 240 D5 V50 diesel estate. It has a sun roof. The first time I found a flooded foot well it was in the drivers side. I thought I must have left a window open, although I thought there were signs of wet coming from under the dash. This time I have a flooded passenger side, which seems wetter in the rear than the front (may just be how it's parked). I tried soaking the sunroof, but can't see any wetness there. The seats are dry and the water that I am wringing out of clean cloths is equally clean, so I don't think there is a hole in the undercarriage. There still seems gallons of water swishing under the carpet despite this being my second day trying to soak it up with towels and sponges, through a small flap in the carpet. I spotted the black plastic tube with several holes, located under the front seat, which seemed wet when I poked my fingers down. Being unable to find out what this was in the user manual, I rang my nearest Volvo dealer. He seemed at a loss to think what might be causing the flooding but offered to book a diagnostic fault test which would be £102 per hour labour. I explained I'd like to carry on trying to eliminate some basic causes first. I have read the posts here that come up from my search for "water in the foot well". I cannot see any signs of blockage under the bonnet from leaves, and I just don't have any knowledge as to how to begin stripping off any parts of the interior to check for blocked drain tubes. What I was wondering is whether most garages should should be able to sort this out for me, or will they refer me to a volvo garage, as I'm sure £102 per hour is a higher than average rate.
VOLVOVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 19:21   #19
gmonag
Premier Member

This is the XC90 forum so you might want to ask the question elsewhere. However if it is the same arrangement as the XC90 there will be sunroof drain tubes in the A pillar (both sides of the windscreen). These can block and overflow and cause the problems you have. You can get to them by removing the trim.
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 19:37   #20
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOVI View Post
Just new to this forum so hope this appears in the right place. I know nothing about car mechanics. I have a 2007 Volvo 240 D5 V50 diesel estate. It has a sun roof. The first time I found a flooded foot well it was in the drivers side. I thought I must have left a window open, although I thought there were signs of wet coming from under the dash. This time I have a flooded passenger side, which seems wetter in the rear than the front (may just be how it's parked). I tried soaking the sunroof, but can't see any wetness there. The seats are dry and the water that I am wringing out of clean cloths is equally clean, so I don't think there is a hole in the undercarriage. There still seems gallons of water swishing under the carpet despite this being my second day trying to soak it up with towels and sponges, through a small flap in the carpet. I spotted the black plastic tube with several holes, located under the front seat, which seemed wet when I poked my fingers down. Being unable to find out what this was in the user manual, I rang my nearest Volvo dealer. He seemed at a loss to think what might be causing the flooding but offered to book a diagnostic fault test which would be £102 per hour labour. I explained I'd like to carry on trying to eliminate some basic causes first. I have read the posts here that come up from my search for "water in the foot well". I cannot see any signs of blockage under the bonnet from leaves, and I just don't have any knowledge as to how to begin stripping off any parts of the interior to check for blocked drain tubes. What I was wondering is whether most garages should should be able to sort this out for me, or will they refer me to a volvo garage, as I'm sure £102 per hour is a higher than average rate.
Try youtube, search for "volvo sunroof drain" there are several video's on there showing how to fix this problem.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post: