Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Soot Filter message not as advertised

Views : 1134

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 18:48   #11
crewman

I spoke with my friendly neighbourhood mechanic this afternoon - he'd awarded himself a two week christmas break - his immediate comment when I described the symptoms was faulty sensor. The car is booked in with him for next monday, if he's right a replacement sensor should be a lot less than a new DPF. Thanks to all for your input.
crewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 19:41   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewman View Post
The engine is D5244T, the mileage is an unknown. The odometer says 108000 but since I bought it I have discovered that the MOT history suggests a speedo change when the car was 3 or 4 years old. Best estimate is somewhere in the low to mid 200s.
when you have a new speedo the current mileage is automatically taken from another module in the car where it is also stored and loaded into the new one .
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 20:06   #13
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
If there was insufficient heat, wouldn't the result be that the filter was not regenerating and if so the pressure sensor would be registering a high pressure caused by the unremoved obstruction? The diagnostic is saying that the pressure readout from the sensor is too low not too high. Since it is not possible for the genuine pressure to be too low for any mechanical reason, the only alternative would be that the readout is false and that is probably a faulty sensor.
If I was the OP I'd be praying that your excellent logic is correct and it's a faulty sensor!

Needless to say that the regen process CREATES additional heat by overfuelling, therefore making the Italian tune-up unnecessary. This however I believe creates too much regular additional heat in the cylinder head leading to oil break down (particularly if you use inferior/wrong spec oil) in valve lifters which then fail - then you start burning oil, and that gooses your dpf.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 18:23   #14
green van man
Premier Member

So are you saying change the oil after a forced regen or normal regen damages the oil?

I can see a case for both but would expect correctly specified oil changed at or before set intervals which are 1 year OR 18,000 miles to be able to survive the regens that occurs aprox every 500 miles if my reading of the handbook is correct. My understanding is that 8% of diesel is injected on the exhaust stroke to burn in the dpf normally to keep it clean and this figure raises to 30% during regen cycle.
I may of course be wrong and stand to be corrected, niether do I like the idea of sump oil being diluted with diesel but as my car regularly does a 200 mile round trip 100 of which are motorway or duel carriageway and only does 10,000 a year I am hopeful that no lasting damage is being done to the specified oil and therefore the engine.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 20:28   #15
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
So are you saying change the oil after a forced regen or normal regen damages the oil?

I can see a case for both but would expect correctly specified oil changed at or before set intervals which are 1 year OR 18,000 miles to be able to survive the regens that occurs aprox every 500 miles if my reading of the handbook is correct. My understanding is that 8% of diesel is injected on the exhaust stroke to burn in the dpf normally to keep it clean and this figure raises to 30% during regen cycle.
I may of course be wrong and stand to be corrected, niether do I like the idea of sump oil being diluted with diesel but as my car regularly does a 200 mile round trip 100 of which are motorway or duel carriageway and only does 10,000 a year I am hopeful that no lasting damage is being done to the specified oil and therefore the engine.

Paul.
Paul, It's just a hypothesis I have for why a number of higher mileage D5s suffer from this soot filter full/limp mode/dpf problem. I would expect, as you say, correct oil at the correct intervals will prevent failures; but I suspect there are plenty of high milers that have NOT had either the correct oil or at the correct intervals which could lead to problems. In addition to this the problem is exacerbated by the diesel dilution of the oil which was a known issue. There are plenty of Gen 2 threads on the whole issue and it wouldn't surprise me if the same problems are now affecting older Gen 3 cars.

I suspect the dealers don't see much of these higher mileage cars and therefore there is very little definitive information on why/how these issues occur.

It's entirely possible of course that I'm talking out of my hat, but if my 163 D3 starts making a whoomping noise near the airbox or I get the soot filter full message more than once I'll be selling promptly, even though it has a full Volvo service history from new in 2010 and has only done 103k.

I hope the OP comes back and posts whether or not a new sensor fixes the problem!

Last edited by tommyweaves; Jan 4th, 2017 at 20:30.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyweaves For This Useful Post: