Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fittings alloys -- some queries !

Views : 1298

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 17:41   #1
Simon McL

Default Fittings alloys -- some queries !

I am considering buying alloys for my 850 (4 stud) and have a few queries for which I would appreciate some input :)

I currently have 15" steel wheels with 195/15/60 tyres. Can I fit 17" wheels ? or should I stick to the standard size ......

Which alloys are a decent make, I have seen some by Fox sport, has anyone heard of these ?

Finally, what is the best way to clean my brakes as they will be visible, they aren't too bad at the moment but need a good clean up.

Basically, are they any important factors which I should consider. I have had alloys on other cars but they were already fitted.

Thanks in advance
Si

850 GLT 1992 118K needing a good polish
Old Aug 1st, 2002, 21:36   #2
a15htn

Default RE: Fittings alloys -- some queries !

Si,

Yes you can fit 17's and the size to go for is 205/40/17 or 215/45/17... the latter are standard fit size on the top end T5-R & R models. I run 205/40/17 on my R simply because the tyre price is a ridiculous amount cheaper (they start at around £55 not £155 !!)

Note though, if you put 17's on a standard ride height 850 it will look like a brick on a penny farthing !! The car will actually get higher no matter what people tell you about rolling radii, it still happens !

Serious warning about cheaper alloys.... the bigger they are, the more fragile they are, I wrecked a BK Racing Alpina on my Beemer on a poxy pot hole! Find a reputable wheel company (Scott's in Northampton know what they are talking about, just ring them and ask - advice is free ain't it ?) I have seen Fox wheels on a mates fiesta and they were fine, but it didn't weight 2 tons !!!!!!!!!

The Volvo Volan wheels on my car at the mo are built to last.....but they won't fit your car I'm afraid (5 stud you see) Maybe there are some S40/v40 wheels thay would fit, I can't remember if they have 4 or 5 studs... but my old T4 had some tasty 17's on it :) See if you can find any second hand.

You can buy brake cleaner (an aerosol) from any good car parts shop and armed with a smallish wire brush cleanliness is possible. The next plan would be to paint up the calipers with some heatproof paint - be sure it is heatproof or it will stink and burn off. There is some specific brake caliper paint available which I beleive is very good. Its also a good time to treat the car to a new set of pads... as you'll have to take them out anyway :)

Finally, locking nuts are vital..... go for the trilock type which recesses into the wheel and has a blank face with three holes in.... the ones with a knurled ring around the edge are sooooo fragile it could cost you dear if one breaks.

I hope some of this helps.......if not, keep asking !!

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe)
Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:00   #3
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

The standard Volvo alloys for 4-stud cars cost just ove £200 each - I know, I bust one on a street island - so that's the top of the market.

(However, it's worth trawling the web pages of LOOT and other sites, since I picked up a complete brand-new set of the above alloys later at only £100 for four!)

Jim's point about the quality of the alloy is very pertinent - remember these wheels are the only thing between you and sudden death so make sure that they're strong enough for the job.

Scrapyards are another good place to look since the 4 stud wheels are less popular (eg. expensive) than the later 5-stud versions. However, make sure that the wheels are not clouted or otherwise abused.

Doing this you may pick up a wheel here and another there rather than a full set - this will definitely be cheaper and more likely to result in four good ones.

Also check the club sales site - there are often sets of alloys coming up on that.

Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:49   #4
JOHN 850

I have a set of OZ alloys on my 92 850GLT, which I might sell/px for your steels, as I am selling the car shortly. They are in very good nick & have recently had a new set of Michelin Energy's on the front & Bridgestones on the back. They alloys cost £550 before the tyres!

Email me on jallam@supanet.com or 0771 2802774 for details - BTW, they are 195/60/15, so shouldn't effect your insurance, as non standard size ones could !!

Cheers,

John.

Previous : V90 RD, 360GLEi, V70TDI, V70 2.5D, 965, C70 T5 x3, 340 x2, 360GLT x4, P1800ES x3, 240 x3, 940 x2, S70 x3, 850 x3, S80, 480 x2, 120 x2, XC90 x2, V70 D5 x3
JOHN 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 07:54   #5
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

John, I'm sure you've seen my posts on the perils of secondhand rubber, so be prepared to have any potential owner ask for the tyres to be removed and checked before purchase.

You can of course sort out who pays for this depending on their passing the inspection...

I've heard that OZ are a good brand, and with 15" rims, there is much less likelihood of damage in any case - I park practically on the centreline to avoid kerbing my 17" rims!
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2002, 20:07   #6
Simon McL

Thanks for your info, I will keep looking at different wheels and see what I come up with. I will probably get the same size as the steels, is it OK to change my current tyres to the new alloys ? they are in very good cond.

A guy down the road from my has a 3 series bimmer with 17" alloys, it looks like its on stilts !!!! strange ! i always thought the rage was to lower them !

sorry for my late reply.

Si