Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 Tailgate wiring

Views : 1623

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 15:12   #1
niloc
SWV Benefactor

Default 240 Tailgate wiring

Not being a regular follower of the 200 forum, I am probably asing a frequent question. Is there any way I can change/repair the tailgate wiring on my mates 245? It looks like it would be a common problem as they have snapped on the hinge. I need a step by step process if possible. Thanks

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 16:34   #2
migrator
Aye - him again

Default RE: 240 Tailgate wiring

You have a happy task in front of you - I am just about to start the same myself.

There are cables running through both hinges (probably) and the repair will require the removal of the hinge (or hinges). This is a many handed job so I suggest some assistance for parts of the task.

Access to the hinges is under the roof lining - wait a minute. I've just remembered that I have been told to "butt out" of the forum. Sorry about this but perhaps 'andy1' has experience of this and will be able to help.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 13:07   #3
vjck_uk
Premier member

Hi there,
I have a 240 and had this trouble,like our friend Migrator says the wires break where they go through the hinges.
BUT you can do this single handed as I did.
What I did on mine was :- There was enough slack in the wires to pull them through some more(as only the inners were broken) and then cut the bad bit out and solder the good ends.Leave the wires where they are, so a previously unused bit gets all the bending.
Mine has been like this for 3 years with no further problems.
It's a bit of a fiddle coaxing them through some more and requires loosening off the hinges so you can push one side while you GENTLY pull the other.
You can support tailgate weight with a piece of wood and do one side at a time the the other hinge will allow your side to move enough to work on it while still hold the lot in line.
Best of luck !!
Vaughan
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 13:43   #4
niloc
SWV Benefactor

Thanks for that, how does the headlining come down at the back to gain access to the hinge on the body?
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 17:00   #5
migrator
Aye - him again

Why should I not try to help?

What Vaughan says is one way. I also use the 'piece of wood' for support approach - or anything else that will hold up the tailgate. I have had the problem of completely broken cabling so had to replace sections of it. I also took the chance to re-route some cables through the other hinge.

The roof lining - is it the hard plastic type or the soft cloth type? If the former, I believe that there are screws holding the complete roof lining in place but don't quote me as I have only worked on the soft cloth linings.

Starting from the tailgate, at the right hand corner (from outside) of the foof lining gentlt pinch the material (clean hands or rubber gloves please) edging and pull it towards the rear. You will see a black metalic strip that 'springs' over the metal seam at the roof edge. Once the first part has been released the rest comes easily. Go all the way across the back and about a foot down each side. That will give plenty of access. There are two bolts under the lining and also two bolts on the tailgate should you need to remove the hinge completely. You might want to remove the support struts before starting as they will try to extend and move the supported tailgate.

VOC 11817
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 19:53   #6
niloc
SWV Benefactor

Thanks, it is the soft type. I thought that it was just sprung over the rear plate, but just wanted to make sure before I ripped it apart!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 20:37   #7
migrator
Aye - him again

If you are too enthusiastic, ripping it apart is just what you will do!!

VOC 11817
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 08:43   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Anything to do with tailgate wiring is a total pain in my experience.
You can support the gate on slings from the garage roof (avoids knocking the prop over). Leave the struts in place, do one side at a time.
Tie a bit of string onto the loom in the tailgate before pulling it out.
The special flexible wires are almost impossible to solder in my experience.
I opted out of an original replacement and simply ran ordinary wires through a length of plastic pipe, secured at the rear of the roof and to the tailgate. This can be angled so that it doesn't get trapped when the lid closes.
It is not so neat, but miles easier, and easy to do again later.

If you are buying a proper replacement loom watch out for different kinds of connectors, and colour changes, eg in the locking motor wires.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote