Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First 940 collected....couple of issues

Views : 676

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2016, 20:10   #1
cjboddy
cjboddy

Default First 940 collected....couple of issues

Hi All,

Bought the 940 I posted about last wk (re high cutch point). Drive it 60 mile home today and very comfy ride! 😄

Couple of things I've noticed though that people might be able to give me pointers on :-

1. Speedo didn't work initially for a mile or so then came to. Noticed it doesn't read any higher than about 49mph though as if it's stuck. What should I look to check first?

2. Car pulls to left on braking? Also get steering judder at times around the 50-60mph

3. Sunroof seal doesn't look in great condition. Are these easily replaceable?

Cheers
Craig
2003 S60 D5 SE 132k
1993 850 2.0 20v SE 119k / 1997 850 T5 CD est 145k
cjboddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2016, 23:48   #2
bluebrickrick

Congrats Craig

1) May just be cold or damp, if it continues to play silly bu@@ers have a check on the FAQs (top bar here, Volvo Owners Club > Tech Stuff >700/900 FAQ then have a search down the bottom and follow the words and music, may be the sender on the back diff or chances are its a Yazaki speedo which suffer from leaky capacitors or dry joints, lots of info there, at best a clean up may solve it, at worst you go through all the stages to replacing the caps and still need to find a replacement. Many suggest using a GPS instead, the MOT doesn't require the speedo to work properly but it must be present, visible and illuminated at night ??

2) Check the front tyre pressures, wheel balance, brake pad freedom and wear and steering components for function, adjustment and absence of slop in the joints.

3) Got my current 945 in Feb and have not tried the sunroof out yet for the same reason, fear not it does not leak into the cabin as there appears to be a trough around the outside which catches the water, it has a pipe which comes back to the RH 'wheelwell' storage pit and drains out through a rubber grommet at the bottom, I know this because mine didn't and it took me a while to figure out where it was coming from, the felty rectangular 'seal' appears to be more a filler in the gap and less an actual seal.

Not sure what a saloon might be arranged like but probably similar.

Welcome to the world of Swedish Tractors - are you a DIY maintainer ? if not you need to find a decent old time dealer or mechanic who likes and understands these dear old dinosaurs, remember its not so much a car as a bit of increasingly rare mobile motoring history, look after it and it'll look after you - by buying it and joining up here, it is now your solemn duty to keep it on the road and running forever, regardless of cost or difficulty, the VOCF enforcers now know who you are and where you live, they do not accept excuses.
(You didn't read the small print before pressing submit ?? Foolish boy, you are now trapped like the rest of us)

If a DIYer then you have come to the right place there are some generous and knowledgeable folk here, particularly those who have contributed the illustrated step by step diagnosis or repair procedures documented in the FAQs etc, they have certainly helped me out in the last year or so with a few problems in the 'Here be Dragons' sections of the Haynes manual where the compilers went of to spend their fee before doing the job in the 'old' Haynes manner ! Plus there is a nice social aspect too in a troll free environment.

HTH

Rick

Last edited by bluebrickrick; Dec 4th, 2016 at 23:50. Reason: typo
bluebrickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 02:08   #3
deeman940
Master Member

Hey craig, welcome to the world of bricks!
Speedos are a common problem, a lot seem to be the same as yours which work up to somewhere in the 40's. Mine works fine...just very intermittently. I have had the car a year but haven't got round to sorting it yet. Being as everything else works fine I was going to try and sidestep the problem by fitting a heads up display....
2. the front calipers are prone to seizing / sticking ...can usaually be sorted with a service/ new slider pins...as for the wheel judder check balancing and tyre pressures as previously mentioned...
3. I have no idea about the sunroof seal but I imagine it is replacable and there will be threads on here...
4. Hope you sort out these niggles and enjoy ownership, look up stage 0 service which is a recommended level of maintenance for any new 940 owner to avoid sudden failures..
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 08:59   #4
Joe of Loath
Can I angle grind this?

RE the sunroof, don't worry too much about the seal on the roof, but do check the drains are in good condition. The seal on the roof is just to keep out debris, the water runs through into the sunroof housing and down rubber drains to the front and rear of the car.

If the drains are clogged you'll end up with holes in your roof, like I had. I fixed it by riveting and gluing a plate over the top of the car...
Joe of Loath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 09:14   #5
jor
VOC 20573

I was told that the sunroof seal was not obtainable. The recommended product is gummipflege applied on and behind the seal every few months,

jor
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 10:15   #6
mjk164
VOC Member

Default Sunroof seal.

Hi Craig,
The sunroof seal is there to mainly stop dirt & rubbish getting into the roof area but more important, to stop wind noise. If you contact Braydons in Stamford Hill, 02089852255, Volvo have recently just started to re-manufacture them. The part number is 3528809 and they are exactly as the original ones with the metal (aluminium) clip to go onto the roof lid edge and the felt on the sealing side...excellent stuff. They should be good for both the 700 and 900 metal sunroof lids. I replaced the seal on my 960 and it fits a dream and silence inside the cabin!
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 12:08   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Something to help keep the sunroof seal (and dorr, boot, bonnet etc seals too) in good condition is silicone grease :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006O7HTDE

Smear some round the seal with the roof open (tilt and/or slide as needed to get all of the seal) to protect, lubricate and condition the seal and it also makes life quieter too. It's a service item on most (if not all) cars equipped with a sunroof but is usually ignored and/or not known about.

Leave it to soak in a while after smearing it on then wipe off the excess. A little goes a long way so even that small tube lasted me two years the first time round including doing the sunroof, doors, bonnet and boot seals and also a couple of thermostat sealing rings on at least two cars but more like 3 and the only reason i had to buy another tube is because the old one got damaged and leaked!

Congrats on your purchase anyway!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 21:04   #8
cjboddy
cjboddy

Thanks chaps!

I've been on/off the forum for 12 yrs now.... not as much since buying the new v70 in 2011 (fantastic motor and don't plan to get rid!). But enjoying the 940 so far after only driving 85 miles.... something enjoyable about an older motor :0)

I guess I need to open the sunroof up to check the drainage? There is some damage to part of the headlining nr the sunroof but no sign of damp after washing at the weekend.

She has heated seats too but not convinced drivers one giving out much heat.... anything simple to check?

I'll manage with speedo as is! Comes to life after short delay and seems accurate enough to 50.

Headlamp bulb blew....just fitted new pair of osrams....£5.29 bargain :0) on the look for a set of nice mud flaps now as I only seem to have a front and rear on the one side!

Slowly getting used to been more hands on with cars after buying a 71 VW bus a couple of yrs back.

Cheers
Craig
2003 S60 D5 SE 132k
1993 850 2.0 20v SE 119k / 1997 850 T5 CD est 145k
cjboddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjboddy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2016, 19:57   #9
Forrest
VOC Member

Mud flaps are still available new. See, for example,

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...mud-flap/1302/
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote