Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Haynes for S60 Book No. 4793. Any good?

Views : 746

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2016, 15:34   #11
o1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
Example it says pas fluid is atf type
My S60 is the first car where I've become paranoid about replacing any fluid except with something sold by Volvo.

This has got to be a deliberate marketing ploy.

I can't believe Volvo doesn't just buy fluids and stick its label onto these, then charge 3x more.

There must be OEM fluids that are exactly identical, no?
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 16:22   #12
Dancake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1975 View Post
My S60 is the first car where I've become paranoid about replacing any fluid except with something sold by Volvo.

This has got to be a deliberate marketing ploy.

I can't believe Volvo doesn't just buy fluids and stick its label onto these, then charge 3x more.

There must be OEM fluids that are exactly identical, no?
The same applies to parts. Volvo as well as other manufacturers purchase parts and fluids in bulk. Sometimes the scale of the purchase is such that special arrangements are made between the buyer and seller.

An example of one such arrangement would be Volvo's agreement with Hella regarding bulb holders. Every single bulb holder that Hella makes has a personal identification number on it for reference. However, some of these holders are only sold to Volvo, meaning you have to go directly to Volvo to procure them. Hella won't sell them to anyone else.

With regards fluids, I suspect that similar arrangements are in place. Comma may make CHF power steering fluid, but if they were the original supplier to Volvo, there's nothing to say that Volvo didn't ask for additional additives to be added, or for a different type approval number or reference so they could call the fluid their own.

I doubt that the Volvo car corporation would be willing to divulge their secrets in relation to product procurement methods. They, like all other manufacturers, like to keep a tight grip of such information. Failing to release such info into the public domain contributes to Volvos annual turover of OEM parts. Some 'quality afternarket' suppliers are simply bound by legal agreements. They can't openly admit that parts 'x, y and z' are exactly the same as the original car manufacturers parts, because they supplied them to the manufacturers. It costs consumers a clean fortune every year.
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 17:04   #13
Mattypompey

Hi,

Yes I just bought a Haynes manual for the S60 and find it very useful. It can be generic in places but certainly points you in the correct direction.

M
Mattypompey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 17:31   #14
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
The same applies to parts. Volvo as well as other manufacturers purchase parts and fluids in bulk. Sometimes the scale of the purchase is such that special arrangements are made between the buyer and seller.
In that case, Volvo are inconsistent in their behaviour.
They allow Mann to sell the genuine D5 oil filter just with Volvos name removed and they allow ATE to sell genuine brake calipers, only "Volvo" has been ground off or filled in with metal filler and the piston seal is unbranded.
On the genuine vacuum engine mounts, Volvo don't even have their name or a part number etched anywhere. It's just a sticker. They don't even bother with a box.
As a result, the exact same engine mount is sold under at least two different brands for considerably less.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 19:06   #15
Dancake
Premier Member

It doesn't apply to all parts. Volvo use many suppliers to build their cars. Some of which are happy to create exclusive deals, whereas others maybe aren't willing to do such deals. Volvo don't allow Mann to sell the genuine oil filter as a genuine oem Volvo filter, but we know that it is. Neither does Volvo allow ATE to market the calipers as genuine Volvo items, but we know that they are.

Do you know who makes the Volvo turbo control valve? If so why isn't the market flooded with them as made by the original manufacturer? The same applies to the air quality sensor, and many other items and sensors that Volvo knows they can charge through the roof for. They are one of a very limited amount of companies who have authorisation to distribute these parts. Volvo don't want you to buy original parts elsewhere, so I'd imagine they pay for exclusivity on certain things.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 19:29   #16
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Do you know who makes the Volvo turbo control valve?
Yes, Pierburg

Quote:
If so why isn't the market flooded with them as made by the original manufacturer?
The identical aftermarket version is easily available.
I'm not sure a market has to be flooded.
You just need to know that a cheaper, identical quality alternative is available.....and it is.

Quote:
The same applies to the air quality sensor
Easy again.
Hella or Behr.
Depends on your model year.

Quote:
and many other items and sensors that Volvo knows they can charge through the roof for
They can only charge through the roof because people aren't prepared to research.
I am prepared so I rarely, if ever get fleeced.

Quote:
Volvo don't want you to buy original parts elsewhere, so I'd imagine they pay for exclusivity on certain things.
I doubt Volvo get exclusivity on many things.
We have light bulbs so far which isn't exactly a deal breaker.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 20:23   #17
Dancake
Premier Member

Chesh I mean no disrespect, but as of late you have been scrutinising everybodys posts unnecessarily. It's almost as if you're going out of your way to be contentious. It doesn't bode well for your character.

You cannot purchase the Pierburg TCV at the same price as most other car makes. Most sell them new for £50 or less. What's so special about the D5 version? Perhaps because it is known to fail. It is ridiculously expensive if you want to buy an original version. No doubt because of arrangements between Volvo and Pierberg.

The air quality sensor is also stupidly expensive for all that it is. The market isn't exactly flooded with them either, so somebody somewhere is capitalising on that fact. No amount of research is going to rob parts manufacturers of the opportunity to make as much money from you as possible.

People are prepared to do research, and you can rest assured that there are thousands of original equipment parts for all marques that aren't available to the public through motorfactors etc, because of exclusivity deals.