Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo s40 03 windscreen washer jets not working

Views : 2528

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2016, 02:51   #1
Revolvolov

Default Volvo s40 03 windscreen washer jets not working

Hi all, first post.

Bought anew s40 of a guy locally for a trip to Spain. Didn't miss a beat across 3000 miles earlier this year in the height of summer.

It had its work cut out with a car full of 4 people plus luggage and the air con in constant use.

Mot has since expired and when I boutique he car noticed the windscreen washer jets didn't work and aftet my hopes it was just a fuse or blockage was squashed, I continued without.

Now needs must Illoyds have to identify the problem.

I checked the pipework for blockages and fuses etc.

There is no noise of any motor engaging whatsoever.

The front headlight wipers are also not engaging.

Any help greatly appreciated. It's a shame for the car to be on the driveway.

I've bought a replacement pump/motor from amazon (£4 delivered) but suspect its likely something else.

Thanks
Revolvolov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 15:26   #2
v40alex
I do like a V40

It's not uncommon for headlight wiper motors to stop working completely and even for people to disconnect them - open the bonnet and look in the gap between the radiators and the front bumper, there's two connectors (green seal inside) for the motors. But the pump not working isn't to do with that - there's two fuses for the wipers/washers http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...0_06b.htm#pg95 (see page 96), have you checked both?

It's possible you have a dodgy wiper stalk, does the rear washer jet button work maybe? If that powers the pump, then a multimeter test would confirm if you need to replace the stalk (wiring diagrams for that model are easy to find online, not quite so easy to read though ). You'll need to take the steering column cowling off to check.

If the stalk is confirmed ok, next would be to take the plastic undertray and the wheel arch cover off and check the connectors to the washer bottle pump - front right corner of the car. Are you getting any voltage to the pump?
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 15:31   #3
Revolvolov

Thanks for the reply. Both fuses are ok and the car doesn't have a rear washer...
I'll check the stalk this week. I've had a look at the pump and it looks like the front bumper needs to come off. Just wanted to check I hadn't missed anything stupid before taking it apart.
Update to follow..
Revolvolov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 16:19   #4
RobertP
RobertP

If it's the same as my 2000 m.y. V40, removing the bumper is much easier than getting at the washer bottle. It looks a big job, but, basically, there are just 4 big bolts to unfasten, two underneath each chassis leg, then the bumper slides forward. Obviously there are various wiring connectors to be aware of. The biggest problem I had was getting the bumper back the last inch into position, but then I am pretty clumsy.
RobertP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertP For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 11:15   #5
upv5
VOC Member

The pump on these is prone to fail after years of use as the seal inside the pump that keeps water away from the motor eventually wears and lets water into the motor and all the iron and steel parts begin to rust. Eventually it seizes up, had to replace the pump on SWMBO's V40 after 10 years. Easy to do once bumper is off.

John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jets, windscreen wash