Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I will ask again, surely someone must know?

Views : 3417

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2016, 18:19   #1
karlywoo

Default I will ask again, surely someone must know?

Hi this is my second post on the same problem, i have a 2006 PH2 facelift 185BHP D5 V70 auto, this car is my absolute pride and joy, it wants for nothing, i have spent a small fortune on it since it arrived in January, 112k now and runs beautifully apart from one issue!!
I have this chuffing sound when at idle and the engine is hot! its the same noise you get if the oil filler cap is removed which i,m told is normal!
Injectors seals checked and fine.
Front and rear engine mounts isolated and new are on order as they failed vacuem test.
Vacuem pump tested and is holding fine.
Now here may be a clue to someone with more knowledge, when i first got the car the swirl actuator arm was broken like they always are, one day when looking at how to repair the blighter i lifted the small arm engine block side and the chuffing slowly disapeared?
I have since repaired the above with a very expensive split pin found in my roll cab and that is working fine and a small MPG improvement.
Now as above i have spent a fortune getting this V70 perfect as its the last one i will ever buy, i did buy a PH3 shortly before this one and hated it!! to me it just did not feel like the Volvo,s i have known for years, so after a grand two weeks it was gone and stepped back to what i consider a proper Volvo! my opinion anyway.
Its currently in the bodyshop having the front repaired as my lovely neighbour had a row with his Mrs came out and reversed back in anger and whacked my poor car, whilst its in there i have taken the opportunity to have the roof and bonnet repainted and every little blemish on the car sorted, it should look a cracker when it comes out at the end of the week!
So PLEASE can anyone point me in the right direction? i would just love to be able to hear that wonderful five pot just ticking over like others before it!
The other clue possibly is that i have always thought this is noiser that my old 53 plate V70, engine wise, when driving it, just sound a tad more course, full Volvo history, pulls like a train especially when the caravan is on the back, it don,t know its there, so no power loss?
Any thoughts on possible intercooler? its about the right mileage for a failure but lots of power would suggest otherwise?
Sorry if this has turned into a book, but i have tried to give as much info as possible, many thanks in advance,
karlywoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 19:17   #2
Brendan W
Premier Member

Could you post a video/audio of it happening or failing that find one on youtube - it's almost certain this is not a first and someone has posted it.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 20:42   #3
karlywoo

Default You tube

Hi i think i may have found the answer on You tube, i have seen several videos of the same noise and it would seem that its the hydraulic valve lifters, either breaking or wearing, possibly du to these extended oil change intervals, looks like its gonna be an expensive month, any comments welcome?
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 21:39   #4
Brendan W
Premier Member

Could you post the link.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 10:21   #5
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

A chuffing noise would suggest air escaping, exhaust manifold leaking or cracked?

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 11:37   #6
karlywoo

Default You tube

Not sure how to do that but if you You tube this it should find it?

Volvo V70 -06 D5 185HP weird motor sound
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 11:48   #7
Brendan W
Premier Member

Not finding anything. Could you copy the vid address and paste it into a reply box here.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 14:13   #8
big_yin

Is it this one?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?url=htt..._PnK1z8ces7VmQ
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 10:45   #9
karlywoo

Yes thats the kiddy, the noise seems to sound as those its coming from air box area? a definate deep down chuffing sound, i,m now try to fathom out how if the lifters are worn/damaged why? it would create this?
It would seem that i,m not alone on suffering this and all on an 06/07 build? and those that have had it cured it by replacing the lifters..
I, wondering what further damage that may have occured, plus i,m trying to fathom out why? as posted earlier that prior to repairing the swirl arm rod , upon lifting the small part engine block side the noise disapeared, so its all pointing to inlet side of things? an inlet side lifter broken or damaged/worn?
I just don,t know, it would seem an awful lot of work and expense to be wrong!! £200 just for a set of lifters!! then cam seals, injecter seals, cam box gasket the list goes on!
I did think well ok, if we did strip it down i could at same time do a proper job on the swirl linkage and butterfly rail, a good clean out and possibly replacement. more money i know, but the longer it is there of course more serious damage could be occuring,
Thsi Volvo is the last i will ever buy as posted before, its what i consider the last of the proper Volvo,s before Mr Ford got in there and screwed things up, this 65 plate V70 hire car i have at present is just awful, its only done 12k and well its not even close to being as comfortable as my PH2, yes its quieter, but a D4, i,m getting my V70 back today and can,t wait!!
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 11:18   #10
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlywoo View Post
I, wondering what further damage that may have occured, plus i,m trying to fathom out why? as posted earlier that prior to repairing the swirl arm rod , upon lifting the small part engine block side the noise disapeared, so its all pointing to inlet side of things? an inlet side lifter broken or damaged/worn?
Could you explain this differently. It seems unlikely that lifting something could temporarily fix broken lifters.

Afaik you have an electrically operated swirl arm. Do you know if it working correctly ?

Last edited by Brendan W; Oct 12th, 2016 at 11:53.