Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gold plated 940 diesel for sale! (Not mine)

Views : 5162

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2016, 19:15   #51
MCFastybloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by willvg95 View Post
Indeed its obviously gotten way out of hand, when i posted this thread i was hoping for a light hearted discussion about this chaps high expectations of what a d24 940 is worth, and my original message to him was supposed to be a private 'quiet word' with him, its clear that the chap is easily offended and he has a knack of winding people up it seems, i havent replies or acted on what he said to me after i sent him a link to an immaculate looking 740 that was up for 3 grand, i suppose it was a little cheeky of myself, but he certainly didnt have to tell me to p*ss off !

Anyway, the poor chaps obviously become rather upset about it all, and whoever explosive money is, has also let himself become wound up with it all and said some things he may now wish he hadnt.

Shame a little dig at the chap had to come to that !

Is yours the first message on the new revises listing?
MCFastybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 19:38   #52
willvg95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
Is yours the first message on the new revises listing?
My message is the one that ends with will vg
willvg95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 19:51   #53
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Indeed its obviously gotten way out of hand, when i posted this thread i was hoping for a light hearted discussion about this chaps high expectations of what a d24 940 is worth, and my original message to him was supposed to be a private 'quiet word' with him, its clear that the chap is easily offended and he has a knack of winding people up it seems, i havent replies or acted on what he said to me after i sent him a link to an immaculate looking 740 that was up for 3 grand, i suppose it was a little cheeky of myself, but he certainly didnt have to tell me to p*ss off !

Anyway, the poor chaps obviously become rather upset about it all, and whoever explosive money is, has also let himself become wound up with it all and said some things he may now wish he hadnt.

Shame a little dig at the chap had to come to that !
While I think it's fine posting on here about how you think it was too expensive I think it was totally our of order to send him the emails you did.

If I had put a much loved car on eBay and got a similar email I'd have had the similar reaction. I did ask for advise on how much to sell an XC90 for on here and it was fine for people to think I was asking too much because I had asked what people think. I can tell you that I certainly wouldn't have considered selling to anyone who thought I wanted too much money though.

There are 70 of those 940 TD Autos left so he is right that they are quite rare.

Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Aug 29th, 2016 at 20:00.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 23:32   #54
willvg95

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
While I think it's fine posting on here about how you think it was too expensive I think it was totally our of order to send him the emails you did.

If I had put a much loved car on eBay and got a similar email I'd have had the similar reaction. I did ask for advise on how much to sell an XC90 for on here and it was fine for people to think I was asking too much because I had asked what people think. I can tell you that I certainly wouldn't have considered selling to anyone who thought I wanted too much money though.

There are 70 of those 940 TD Autos left so he is right that they are quite rare.

Roy
Ohh wait, please dont think that i sent him the abusive emails!

I mearly sent him a polite message!

I am NOT explosive_monkey
The Following User Says Thank You to willvg95 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 23:44   #55
willvg95

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post

Roy
I also want to add that i absolutely agree and understand that these things are very rare, and that they are undervalued, as i have said before in this thread, find another car that does what a diesel 940 does for less or even remotely similar money, it just will not happen.

If i had it my way, any 940 should be worth minimum 5 grand, for a basket case, and for immaculate cars, should they should be 10-15k. And i bet my 50p that in 30 or so years they will be around that money...And im not just saying that because i have 5 of them ! But if i tried to sell one of my cars for, say 7 grand. I would be barking mad, because the market is no where near ready for a 10k 940, and that was the point i was politely Trying to make to the gentleman. In hindsight its non of my buisness, and i honestly didn't expect anyone else to get so involved in it,
The poor chap received a lot of abuse about it, and he shouldnt have.
The Following User Says Thank You to willvg95 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 01:01   #56
deeman940
Master Member

Best off leaving the ebay dreamers to it Will...if they are deluded enough to be asking the price in the first place they won't receive the 'advice' well.
To be fair the bloke sounds like a TW@T, and I am sure he didn't receive £3k for the car. Although, same as anything...it's worth what someone is prepared to pay at the time so you never know!
I sold an old BMX bike for £1900 a couple of years ago , which is £100 more than it cost me to build. Usually you have to split a bike to get the money back. I got lucky and 2 guys that had the same bike as a kid ended up in a bidding war on there.... 6 months later the buyer was struggling to sell it for a grand( although it is definitely 'worth' more.)....
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 12:28   #57
willvg95

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
Best off leaving the ebay dreamers to it Will...if they are deluded enough to be asking the price in the first place they won't receive the 'advice' well.
To be fair the bloke sounds like a TW@T, and I am sure he didn't receive £3k for the car. Although, same as anything...it's worth what someone is prepared to pay at the time so you never know!
I sold an old BMX bike for £1900 a couple of years ago , which is £100 more than it cost me to build. Usually you have to split a bike to get the money back. I got lucky and 2 guys that had the same bike as a kid ended up in a bidding war on there.... 6 months later the buyer was struggling to sell it for a grand( although it is definitely 'worth' more.)....
i should have known really not not try and be helpfull on the internet. im new to it all really, ahh well. thanks fer understanding
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 21:27   #58
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
The om603 and om606 are fantastic!!
But yes, why does a car that rusts more and has bits that costs more, end up being worth 3-4 times what a volvo is worth.
As you know I bought a lovely 760 TD at the end of last year. The only reason the seller was parting with it was because he had acquired a Merc 300 TD estate. I guess that was the only way he could go up market from a 760 lol!! I don't know how old the Merc was or which of the straight-6 engines it had...
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 22:39   #59
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Cylinder count

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
As you know I bought a lovely 760 TD at the end of last year. The only reason the seller was parting with it was because he had acquired a Merc 300 TD estate. I guess that was the only way he could go up market from a 760 lol!! I don't know how old the Merc was or which of the straight-6 engines it had...
The Merc probably had a 5-cylinder engine, not a 6.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 02:12   #60
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
The Merc probably had a 5-cylinder engine, not a 6.
Ignore this post I see it was a 300 TD estate. I was thinking e class.

Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Sep 17th, 2016 at 02:22.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote